Auss

Australia island in Arma2

Aussie just sent me another image. The sat/mask surrounding the area is not ready so it looks crap from a wide angle, we'll get you some more later when it's done.

1UK2T.jpg

Looks good, any sort of release date?

somewhere around 2010-ish...possibly maybe hopefully.

These are the things we're discussing at the moment. Do we swap all A1 trees for A2 trees? Do we include a tree addon pack (with A1 trees included)? Will we even be allowed to distribute A1 trees? etc...

In the screenies you see, we're still using A1 trees until we figure out a solution.

What we're currently working on is sorting out the clutter, and replacing the A1 roads for A2 roads, all 1000km of them!!. Aussie has been putting in the big hours and doing all the tech work, figuring out the config etc, while i'm playing the map and taking screenies for you all :yay: He just sent me some screenies of what he's working on at the moment, and it looks good. I'll see if i can get some shots if it when he's finished :).

As IceBreaker stated (cheers mate), it's the entire continent but we've taken a bit of an artistic licence when it comes to.. well, basically everything except the shape....:rolleyes:

We've also enlarged all the major coastal inlets (Sydney, Adelaide etc) so they're big enough to build a city around, plus the desert/farmland/tropical areas etc are in the correct places.

fucking hell. how did you manage to build the whole continent!!! if all goes well, would you consider building another one for another country?

would you consider building another one for another country?

With the toolset that BIS supply, I'm suprised anyone even attemts to make an island

sad, too, islands are usually some of the best mods.

kinda strange why people back in OFP instead of complaining made their own tools ..

fucking hell. how did you manage to build the whole continent!!! if all goes well, would you consider building another one for another country?

Well it's not to scale. It's like 1/100 scale.

And, no. never again. :)

kinda strange why people back in OFP instead of complaining made their own tools ..

At least we complain about bugged tools..., you complain about people complaining. :D haha. really though, you need a lot of patience to use theses tools, and what Aussie wrote is nothing compared to what grief the tools are giving us.

It would not be a problem to make simple tools such as bin or pbo packers etc... , but to recreate visitor... hmmm, not possible without some source data from bis.

Edited by Thrash

No. Wrong. People of my mindset make tools, write documentation, share their insights.

Instead of griefing why not write your own tools? Use 3rd party tools? Yeah blaming other

people is more fun eh...

How about using the 3DE team editor? How about using 3rd party tools for the object placement

and writing a simple importer?

To create free content for BIS games for ppl to enjoy? Yes.

To be creative with new units, maps? Yes.

To report bugs and be some kind of their beta tester? Yes.

To develop and be their programmer while we know (from good sources) that such tools already exist in their hands? Hell no!

How about using the 3DE team editor? How about using 3rd party tools for the object placement

and writing a simple importer?

I'd really like to see something like Wrptool was for OFP.

No. Wrong. People of my mindset make tools, write documentation, share their insights.

People of you mindset obviously like to brag about how awesome they are compared to people of my mindset. That's not constructive, it's patronising.

Instead of griefing why not write your own tools? Use 3rd party tools? Yeah blaming other people is more fun eh...

We do use 3rd party tools for mostly everything but some specific jobs like object placement, road placement and editing terrain, which is done in visitor.

As for blaming others, we've been doing this map for 18 months and have hardly said a word about it. We're getting to the point where it's becoming a real issue. And you come along and tell us we're not allowed to complain....?

How about using the 3DE team editor? How about using 3rd party tools for the object placement and writing a simple importer?

Can 3DE edit terrain vertices? Can it handle 2 million objects? Can we write our own scripts to generate forests? etc...

Yeah it's hard enough for Aussie trying to coordinate us all together (remember there's 8+ working on the island)

@kju - by the time any of us could create our own tools we would have finished the island on BIS's current mindfart toolset.

How do you manage that? Does Aussie copypaste objects of certain region to a full map? Tell us more please, I have couple of guys eager to work on a world map along with me ;)

Is there any way to setup with "Coles" an account so we can go out of our way to buy you guys a few beers as thanks for your time? 18 MONTHS!!

"Matter of fact, I've got one now."

"Give that man a New."

"Beer made from Beer."

Each man has his slogan:)

How do you manage that? Does Aussie copypaste objects of certain region to a full map? Tell us more please, I have couple of guys eager to work on a world map along with me ;)

Although I never tried it, I believe the 3DE could save editor-placed objects into a script, which could then be run in Visitor to place those objects actually in the map. So, if you have a large map and several guys, you can farm out areas to specific people who would them send you (or whoever is compiling the map) the scripts, you would compile the new build, then everyone would continue in the editor using the new build. Repeat etc :)

That's how I believe it would work. I kept meaning to use this method on my map but didn't get around to it. Only downside I could see using this method is that trees cannot be randomly scaled. If you wish for random size trees, you use Visitor for that.

you complain about people complaining

Why not start getting constructive an define what you are actually looking for?

Did you ever try 3DE or WRPtool or WRPEdit?

No one is saying that you yourself are the ones to code the tool.

So instead of crying a proper feature request or a rough outline of tools you

envision would be a start.

Everyone works on separate instances of the pew and then Aussie will merge them every so often. It does take a bit of coordination to keep everything in order. I do the sat/mask so i'm not too involved in object placement. Once a new master Pew is made, I'll get it and create a complete new mask/sat for it. Then Aussie will compile it and we'll have a play.

Is there any way to setup with "Coles" an account so we can go out of our way to buy you guys a few beers as thanks for your time? 18 MONTHS!!

I'll get someone to make a beer addon and we can all sit around ingame once it's ready and have one :bounce3:

It hasnt been 18 months full time. We've all got pretty busy real life schedules and we do bits at a time.

Edited by Thrash

Why not start getting constructive an define what you are actually looking for?

Did you ever try 3DE or WRPtool or WRPEdit?

No one is saying that you yourself are the ones to code the tool.

So instead of crying a proper feature request or a rough outline of tools you

envision would be a start.

Yes, I did try 3DE, about a year ago. It's a great program, and it was much easier than Visitor to build good looking stuff in.

Then we tried to get the output from 3DE onto the same .pew as everyone else's work. It took about a week and a half of stuffing around & manually editing the export files, and even then things that were beautifully aligned & placed in 3DE didn't quite turn out that way in Visitor (there seemed to be some 'noise' introduced to the coordinates - perhaps they didn't have enough precision or something).

So while 3DE had promise, and I think it is an excellent tool when you're building an island by yourself, it turned out to not be so good for a collaborative project, in our experience.

Some of that is probably due to the import functions in Visitor, I'll admit, but we decided to just stick with Visitor, as we could get consistent results across the team. It seemed like the path of least resistance at the time, but maybe if we'd stuck at it we'd have been able to get 3DE to do what we wanted.

As for WRPtool & WRPEdit - I didn't even know they worked with ArmA & ArmA2 islands! I don't have enough experience with either to comment with any authority, but it seemed easy enough to build OFP islands with WRPtool back in the day!

Anyway, here are a couple of examples of what I built with 3DE in the ArmA days. None of my walls or fences quite lined up after importing to Visitor, I had to do a lot of additional tweaking.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af149/OGNBern/AusMod/20090917suburbia1.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af149/OGNBern/AusMod/20090917suburbia2.jpg

Edited by Bern
Removed hotlinked images as they were >100kB, sorry bout that

Thanks for the response Bern.

Unfortunately you did not seem to report your 3DE problems, did you?

At least from what I know, team 3DE built dreide in a team of multiple people in MP.

mikero made format conversions in his tool suite. Spooner also made Roller to export

terrain and object data. The pipeline is almost complete apart from direct pew write.

If more people show their interest, mikero will be for sure more motivated to complete it:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/851

Looks good, any sort of release date?
somewhere around 2010-ish...possibly maybe hopefully.
any ETA on when this will be ready?

You may want to read the whole thread before inquiring about a release date.