Auss

Australia island in Arma2

Hi all, were slowly getting the island up and running in Arma2. Still some small issues but overall pretty happy with the textures and clutter. I'll post up some more of the cities once we've added some Arma2 buildings. Also need to fix the satelite images, and work on a decent texture/clutter for the outback.

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-16-21-43.jpg

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-18-45-02.jpg

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-22-16-58.jpg

arma2%202009-08-21%2001-27-32-68.jpg

field.jpg

Edited by Aussie

Some of those pictures come to life, wow! :O Looks like one hell of a place to have lots of Arma fun on. :D Nice work!

Is that a river in the first picture?

It is indeed my friend, approx 7kms long

It is indeed my friend, approx 7kms long

:eek:

I'll now go and impatiently await this island. :D

i wont need to spend 2000 euro and spend 20hrs on a plane to go to aussie lol

i can just wait for this XD

fantasic work guys

Looks amazing, definitely the most anticipated map in my book, keep it up!

haha were gonna need some refueling aircraft for sure :)

I'll have to get the F111 done with some drop tanks.

Great work guys

Southy

Very nice indeed! Looks absolutely fantastic, can't wait for some new classy maps such as this one!

Is that the Murray river? In atleast one of those pics?

Rivers cause major problems for Arma AI. They dont like them and get very confused when they approach them to cross. As you know the Murray runs the length of Victoria's Northern border so this caused a major problem for us. Adding the river would have made it almost impossible for AI to get into the lower eastern state. AI pathfinding is on our list of the most important things to ensure work well, so we decided to NOT add the Murray. The river you see runs from the west of Melbourne too near Adelaide.

Ahh well as long as the telstra tower is still gonna be in it.

It still is right?

Hey, are you adding landmarks as well? like Sydney Opera house, Ayers rock/Uluru etc? or are you just keeping it plain?

IMO i think it would be good to release two versions, one with buildings (if you are planning on making buildings that is) and one without like PMC did with their desert map for ArmA 2

Edited by Dmahon

Sydney Opera house has been built (needs texturing) Sydney harbour Bridge has been completed and Ayers Rock is also in the island. Heres a pic of the bridge in Arma1

arma%201.jpg

armapicaus.jpg

Looking good

I get to defend my own country ;)

Wow, i bet the aussies are DYING to get this map... I know I would be if I was Australian, but even though I'm not, I'm still looking forward to it!

Wow, i bet the aussies are DYING to get this map...

Nar .... been to Adelaide and Melbourne already .... ;)

But seeing we have hookers in ArmA2, I'm hopin Aussie will model Kings Cross :D

are we going to have kangaroos replace the rabbits that run around the place ?

then we could have real aussie army missions like:

'who can cull the most kangaroos at Majura firing range?'

are we going to have kangaroos replace the rabbits that run around the place ?

then we could have real aussie army missions like:

'who can cull the most kangaroos at Majura firing range?'

We will need to model a Barbeque as well, some say the Aussies gain strength from them

Aussie: I have no problems with river & AI on my map, they even use bridges and when bridges are destroyed they try to cross them on foot and even vehicles. You just need to lower the terrain or they might enter the water and refuse to come out :)

Try testing it with a dedicated CTI server. start it up and let the AI roam around for a few hours, that will show the problem areas. How long and wide is your river?

I remember long time ago, in RTS-OFP mission forum I advised to create USA or Europe map with realistic cities positions so to capture such cities as Moscow, London, Rome etc. Sure the map scale will be smaller then the real but it sounds fun. I hope that this Australia map will remind the real continent so people will have fun playing it in Arma2 warfare ;)

Aussie: dunno, width ranges from 10-x0 meters I guess, length: it runs at least through 1/4 of the map. Here's a shot from A2 WIP:

rivers.jpg

... be aware that I'm using water level for the rivers, not objects. You can see the river structure in this old alpha

and from the final presentation
for Arma 1.

Otherwise can't wait to set my foot on your map, it looks stunning and I see I have a lot of work ahead for my soon to be updated map ;)

Thats looking great Icebreakr!! May I suggest when populating hills with trees, try to ensure the treees cover the valleys and gullys as foilage will always grow where the water flows down the valleys.

I think you may run into the same problems I have encountered. I would suggest using the CTI method to check path finding as I can see some areas they may get stuck.