Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

will this put some brains in the AI?

on 803 when i tried 'All Regroup' they just dispersed when the formation was Column (Compact). gunna trie 919 see if they actually fall in?

Suma = supercodewarriorman?

This year he is playing Santa for us.

Only 22 days remaining sir. As long as the 1.05 is rdy by Xmas, I will have milk n cookies waiting for you.

Otherwise, the milk may spoil.:eek:

GJ on the constant beta work in progress.

Tested it briefly and and it seems much better now. Will do some more testing later :)

Im getting really strange micro stuttering every 5 secounds in this beta...?!?

Doesnt matter which settings, anyone else?

I am very glad to say, that the main part of the problem has been succesfully fixed by skillful Suma :) in beta 819 and that I have the new avatar. :D

EDIT:

While I really enjoy the present partially combat behaviour when enemy is detected and observed in aware mode, I think, that it would be better, if your AI squad would not go prone at all untill you lay down or give them the DANGER MODE order. Crouching is perfect and realistic in that situation and is not slowing your squad so much when they spot an enemy and at the same time give your mates better position to start fire.

So please Suma, if it is possible to change it at least for FILE and DIAMOND formations, which are used for CQB. It would made a perfect commando formations from them.

EDIT2: Or I have another idea, that it would be good, to give AI some timeout before they would be able to go prone. For example, if our group is standing still for more than 20 seconds, they can go prone. It would gave us room for fast escape when needed and at the same time backup, when we forget to tell our squad to go prone.

As I actually see some timeout feature, AI still tends to go prone when a VERY FIRST contact with enemy is initiated. This should be removed, cause our squad otherwise break a formation for a few seconds while moving towards an enemy. Although they are able to get back in formation quite quickly, it is still quite unwelcome behaviour which spoils atmosphere, tactics and gameplay and can sometimes lead into disasters, when we have sudden and close contact with an enemy and want to fall back immediately.

And yes, we can give our squad command to stay crouched, but they tend to be quite slow, when permanently crouched, so combination of standing while moving and crouching while standing still is imho much better.

EDIT3: Another problem I've found is that if AI "prone going problem" would be solved already, there is a still their stop in a movement. They should not stop at all, while you're moving and enemy is detected. They should take into account the presence of the enemy, but not stop. They should be able to stop only, if I as the leader actually stop.

Thank you very much.

Edited by Bouben

Yes you are right. Most things are good now, but i also dont like my squad slowing down and getting light cover in safe mode.

Now to make this patch perfect, there should be the possibility that your Squad just !NEVER FIRES! if you dont ordered. This is soo important for sneak missions.

So far pretty good work + Thanks Suma and Team!

Im getting really strange micro stuttering every 5 secounds in this beta...?!?

Doesnt matter which settings, anyone else?

Are you logging? Everest? using Fraps? Defrag reboot...

Great work from Suma and the rest of the BI group. Lots of work in improving the AI.

But i wonder... shouldn't you work first on determine what does have more or less priority, and work before into the high priority stuff?

For example, in the last beta patches there has been a lot of work to improve the combat behavior / formations / leader movement. Great. But there are, imo, two much more important issues at hand.

1. AI reports: "i am covering!" "i am covering! go!" "i am covering!" "i am covering!" "i am covering!" "i am covering! go!" "i am covering!". Etc. Sometimes they really got stuck in a loop saying it one and another time.

2. AI spotting abilities. Yeah, i know this was already worked in past patches/betas, with the ai hearing skill tweaked, bugs fixed and now the grass layer, but it is still not enough. It's not only the AI, both allies and enemies, who seems to cheat, it's also yourself! If you have activated the "contact report" in the difficulty options, you own soldier (as if there is an AI controlling the player avatar) will spot and annouce enemy contacts totally invisible for you, even if you stop and begin to scan slowly with the zoomed sight. I have the theory about it, the pixel theory: perhaps the game consider something spotted if can trace a line of sight between the observer and the object, even if it's really only one pixel of the object, perhaps seen between various bushes.

I know this sound very whiny, they patch the AI really often these days and now i complain about the order of the fixes, they could just stop in patches and work only in their next game! We should be thankful!

Still, I dont' know about you people, but when i play the game, i don't think "mmm perhaps the AI could go from cover to cover faster and smarter" or "the ai should respect formation better". I think "OMG i am going to punch my screen to shut up my own teammate" or "where the fuck is the enemy, i can't see shit with all this grass and vegetation, and even if i change my position, they are still seeing me and firing me, total bullshit".

I have the feeling that the artists designed Chernarus (95% covered with vegetation everywhere!) without having considerations about the game design and the AI.

In terms of individual members prone/crouched, it should probably be based on their weapon. Snipers/HMGs/MMGs should probably go prone. Everyone else, maybe a mix of prone and crouched, at least to start.

Ideally, some sort of routine that if going prone would make them unable to engage the enemy, but crouched would allow them to engage, better to stay crouched. If they can still attack while prone, that would probably be best.

Oh, and before this turns into my private wishlist :) I want to cast the observation that this is THE FINEST example of public beta testing for a developer that I have ever been part of. Really, BI is doing something that should be studied by many in the software industry (not just gaming).

If you really want to contribute, please, consider using Community Issue Tracker instead, be sure to report single issue for each problem which can be separated and always add repro mission and repro steps. Tracking issues and their progress in the web forum is very hard and it is very easy to miss or forget something here.

Suma you're doing an incredible work here.

I'm not talking about fixes.

Thank you.

In terms of individual members prone/crouched, it should probably be based on their weapon. Snipers/HMGs/MMGs should probably go prone. Everyone else, maybe a mix of prone and crouched, at least to start.

Ideally, some sort of routine that if going prone would make them unable to engage the enemy, but crouched would allow them to engage, better to stay crouched. If they can still attack while prone, that would probably be best.

Oh, and before this turns into my private wishlist :) I want to cast the observation that this is THE FINEST example of public beta testing for a developer that I have ever been part of. Really, BI is doing something that should be studied by many in the software industry (not just gaming).

While I agree with you, I still think that AI should not go prone in CQB conditions. Timeout feature would fix it very well (not perfectly tho) I guess. There would be no problem in fast action, cause your mates would go to danger mode if under fire anyway, but when not seen, they would not do unnecessary slow downs.

Are you logging? Everest? using Fraps? Defrag reboot...

Solved..I was downloading mistaken on my drive im playing atm:j:

Solved..I was downloading mistaken on my drive im playing atm:j:

lol. we all have one of those days :)

While I agree with you, I still think that AI should not go prone in CQB conditions.

Oh, indeed - I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

In CQB, I can imagine only limited situations where someone would go prone, and it would generally involve going under/alongside cover at whatever the destination is. In CQB, speed = life.

I was thinking more in terms of outdoors, more open environments (although not necessarily open terrain).

:beer:

Well i have been playing for some hours with the newest beta. Performance is good, no crashes and great action. One big thing i just dislike is still the: If i crouch with a non optic sight weapon, the sights go :yay: and sway all around. Everybody is running around with scoped weapons, because everything else is retarded, because of only the possibility standing or prone. Allso it would be great to have more configuration options on weapons: Ak47+scope or reddot, grenade lauchner, DMR without scope (m14) and many more possibilites.

Arma2 is evolving :)

Oh, indeed - I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

In CQB, I can imagine only limited situations where someone would go prone, and it would generally involve going under/alongside cover at whatever the destination is. In CQB, speed = life.

I was thinking more in terms of outdoors, more open environments (although not necessarily open terrain).

:beer:

Yes, and exactly with that is "timeout feature" counting. 20 seconds are long enough to be able to react and move prepared and also short enough to not unnecesarly risk your AI's lifes.

That 20 seconds would be overwritten by incoming fire as AI would go into danger mode anyway - therefore in prone positions in open.

hoorah! my squad do as i ask. except 8,9,10 who always manages to flip the tank lol

so gravity still needs addressing. because i did witness a supply truck make like bouncing bomb.

One big thing i just dislike is still the: If i crouch with a non optic sight weapon, the sights go :yay: and sway all around. Everybody is running around with scoped weapons, because everything else is retarded, because of only the possibility standing or prone.

I think BIS are aware of the issue and hopefully they will fix it sooner or later :)

There's more on the issue here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=90951

I think BIS are aware of the issue and hopefully they will fix it sooner or later :)

I stopped believing... i think 40% play with crosshair, 35% play with scopes and 25% believe getting drunk in crouched position is realistic :D

Does the AI follow all leaders stances in the latest beta?

No, only prone (with sometimes staying and crouching moves)

I am very glad with the last build :P More stable, more performance (I dunno about IA, I just played online)

Um... im trying to view the log from the website and its prompting me for sign in details ???? i will view from the file instead

I played around with beta 819 installed. I had KORD machineguns on one side of a valley, a TUSK tank on the other side and me as a civilian in the middle to watch the lasershow at night. But the weird thing is, when i look at tracers coming directly at me and until approx 20° angle, i don't see them. I don't know if it's just beta but maybe something to look at. Because incoming 12.7 tracer at night scares :D (but you can trace them back to the gunner)