Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Nothing will beat arma1 maps, they're the best. The only thing arma2 is better than arma1 is visuals but comes with a PERFORMANCE HIT! some of these fixes are in my opinion secondary, it's like: here is a stalled car for you to drive but we will fix the windshield to make it run better.

If arma2 brings performance hits, why can i (upto the latest beta patch which im sure the CAA1 guys will fix soon) play arma1 islands with much higher fps than arma1 ever gave me? :S Sorry for the OT but the quote just seemed a bit.. mislead.

Very very nice changes the last week or so. Does anyone know how "good" single point tracking would work in arma with freetrack? I guess that would just work as a freelook and not give ability to lean, right?

Edited by TimRiceSE

with 60588, I noticed friendly fire problem is improved a bit. also noticed the machinegunners firing while turning around is improved. though they still shoot at the ground when changing posture. ie from prone to crouch/stand and vice versa

but all in all, friendly fire seems less of a problem now

Just tried briefly new beta patch with SP mission Trial by Fire and everytime i loaded the mission the chopper starts it rotors and lifts up before i can get there. :confused:

Has anyone else noticed some strange behauviour with choppers. ?

Thanks, BIS, for the FreeTrack Support. Now I cannot procrastinate anymore in building a FT gear. You guys rock.

Um, about the viewdistance thing and people mentioning Kju's addon. I don't quite seem to grasp what that addon does. It makes things appear INSIDE the fog? Like, gradually, or what?

EDIT: Ok, I watched some videos, specifically this one.

So, do I assume correctly, that the Viewdistance setting sets the point at which that weird grey wall of fog cuts through the landscape? And Kju makes stuff render inside the fog, instead of BIS patch making MORE stuff render before the fog cuts off? Still, even Kju needs a distance at which no objects are rendered anymore, am I right? So, he just took the "no render border" away from the fog and created his own one (not to belittle his feat, I just want to understand what he did there).

Edited by [GCA] Salah ad Din

The latest beta gives me worse performance compared to i.e. 60141. Also more mouselag again. In framerate it differs between 5 to 10 frames at various locations, mainly among trees.

I still had kju's distancedrawing addon installed, havent tried without it yet. Probably BIS' new viewdistance costs me more frames than previous builds with kju's addon.

I'll do some more tests.

[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used.
I wish for a separate slider for the object draw distances, apart from normal viewdistance. It'll probably allow better performance tweaking.

Thanks for the update bis!

Edited by zeep

I wish for a separate slider for the object draw distances, apart from normal viewdistance. It'll probably allow better performance tweaking. ...

So why don't you just decrease the viewing distance? In my opinion it's better to have a lower viewing distance with vegetation and stuff drawn up to the horizon than having 500m more of viewing distance but without any object on it.

I like the changes in the last beta patch.

Thanks for the new beta BIS :yay:

Just tried briefly new beta patch with SP mission Trial by Fire and everytime i loaded the mission the chopper starts it rotors and lifts up before i can get there. :confused:

Has anyone else noticed some strange behauviour with choppers. ?

You are right ! omg run!

:D

(If you are too slow, the helicopter will take off without you. But, if you run, you can still get into the helicopter without problem)

Thanks for the new beta BIS :yay:

You are right ! omg run!

:D

(If you are too slow, the helicopter will take off without you. But, if you run, you can still get into the helicopter without problem)

Yes you can get there by running, but i don't think it's intended to work like that. :D

"Nothing beat ArmA..."

Well Kju's addon already does. If BIS implemented it into ARMA2 it would kick ArmA's butt. Because we would skip "popping" objects, and the several hundreds of meters of VD FOG would be populated. Its dead now. Hundreds of meters before your view limit is sterile. So you dont see all the way to the limit youve set.

When you choose 2500VD you dont see that far. You see the sterile ground that far, but you see no objects several hundreds of meters before that. With Kju's idea you really see everything up to the VD you set. TRUE VD kinda. :)

Anyone that plays with Kju's DrawDistance knows what i mean. And i think this would be another area where ARMA2 could say it surpassed ArmA. Like another bit that goes beyond and makes ARMA2 better. Im not talking about something bad here if thats what people think? Im talking about making it better.

But again, im really happy that the draw distance is upped. Now its time to take that next step and making it uber. :)

Alex

from the readme

IMPROVES IN BETA PATCH DATA:

-----------------------------------------------------

[60588] Major AI situatuational awarness tweaking

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

CIT BETA 1.05 overview with diff.

Can't test now, did anybody noticed major AI behaviour differences?

If so, what exactly ? Thx.

EDIT: hmm... just raised sensitivity back to (around) v.1.02 values? Was this the "situational awareness" tweak?

sensitivity = 3.75;

Edited by fabrizio_T

It may be very well additional engine changes as well.

Only testing will show I guess. :)

It may be very well additional engine changes as well.

Only testing will show I guess. :)

Maybe. I'll check it out, thx.

Can't test now, did anybody noticed major AI behaviour differences?

If so, what exactly ? Thx.

EDIT: hmm... just raised sensitivity back to (around) v.1.02 values? Was this the "situational awareness" tweak?

Well, i disabled my addon which returned it to 1.02 values and i didnt really notice a difference. So i am happy. (Though i only tested 1 short mission which had heavy fog, so the differences should be pretty small in that scenario anyway :p )

I hope they made the detection of lower ranges to be a bit lower then previous while still enabling the AI to see far targets. But i didnt test it.

The latest 60588-beta works really smooth again and the AI seems to be better.

But there is much error coming from ambient civilian module (?) (much more than before):

Error in expression <_twnthreat <= 0>
 Error position: <_twnthreat <= 0>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _twnthreat
Error in expression <_twnthreat <= 0 && ((typeof vehicle _uni>
 Error position: <_twnthreat <= 0 && ((typeof vehicle _uni>
Error in expression <_twnthreat == 0 && (((count _population >
 Error position: <_twnthreat == 0 && (((count _population >
Error in expression <_twnthreat == 0>
 Error position: <_twnthreat == 0>
Error in expression <_twnthreat <= 1 && _twnthreat >= 0 && !i>
 Error position: <_twnthreat <= 1 && _twnthreat >= 0 && !i>
Error in expression <_twnthreat > 0 && (count _doors > 0 || (>
 Error position: <_twnthreat > 0 && (count _doors > 0 || (>
Error in expression <_twnthreat > 0 && (_twnstatus == 'black'>
 Error position: <_twnthreat > 0 && (_twnstatus == 'black'>
Error in expression <_twnthreat > 0>
 Error position: <_twnthreat > 0>
Error in expression <_twnthreat > 1 && _twnstatus != 'black' >
 Error position: <_twnthreat > 1 && _twnstatus != 'black' >
Error in expression <_playersNear && (count _nearbyTowns > 0)>
 Error position: <_playersNear && (count _nearbyTowns > 0)>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _playersnear
Error in expression <_twnthreat <= 0 && _unitType == 6 && day>
 Error position: <_twnthreat <= 0 && _unitType == 6 && day>
Error in expression <_twnthreat = _twn getvariable "ALICE_threat";
_twnsta>
 Error position: <_twn getvariable "ALICE_threat";
_twnsta>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _twn

The earlier "BIS_fnc_selectRandom"-bug is also still there and ACM dosent seem to work (at least when disabling air patrols with ["air_patrol", -1, ACMname] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;)

Edited by SaOk

Please create tickets in the CIT..

Finally pulled the plug on my much beloved Ramdisk to see how Arma2 would run on 8 gig ram with my standard 6000 VD and gotta say -it works great. Flying jets is my new favorite be it mission or not and there's very little pop-up on the textures in the terrain.

Edit- Objects set to very high of course

Edited by froggyluv

I cranked up the draw distance to 10km to see the effect, and at first I didn't see much of a improvement past 5km... then I switched the objects to "very high" and BANG : the ground was covered with trees and stuff up to the VD limit... Off course it was a slideshow, but a nice looking one.

Though I agree with ALEX72 : I'd prefer to keep around 3km VD but have objects rendered further in the fog, up to the point where you don't see them popping (4km?), rather than have 5 km VD and see everything pop up 1km before (4km as well) when the fog starts...

I think BIS should to just seperate the two.

Have your normal View Distance slider and then you have your Object Draw Distance slider. :)

It would work out better like you said I can have a 3KM Viewdistance but have a 10KM Object Draw Distance.

More optimization and option for the players wouldn't hurt, don't expect to see this for awhile though.

Loving these beta's, Im going to have to make myself a freetrack device or just buy that fancy TrackIR 5. :D

Don't have an account there, but here's details on here instead:

At startup of the game, I get an error message (Addon 'caa1_c_enablePorto' requires addon 'caa1_p_hotfix'). Now, I have both these addons in the x/caa1/addons folder, yet when I choose a CAA1 island, the game CTDs. I played on Sahrani 10 minutes before patching, with no crashes.

Just played around with editor on Sahrani using new beta build. Worked fine for me. I've got CAA1 updated to the latest files from their server (using Yoma's)... . Who else is getting this crash?

Edited by Richey79

"Everything Alex72 said about the viewdistance/object detail"

Would be great!

Just been testing the freetrack support. Work great! Just one thing, sometimes in aircraft when yaw is at min/max the view's switching to max/min respectively. Just my settings or anyone else getting this?

Loving the betas. Just can't wait for an official release so I can use it online. (I know I can, but no point having the grass layer if other people won't have it).

You can use the beta online. at least ive never been unable to join a server because of using beta.

I think BIS should to just seperate the two.

Have your normal View Distance slider and then you have your Object Draw Distance slider. :)

I don't see the point in rendering all that empty scenery. If your PC can't handle rendering objects past a certain distance then you may as well drop the viewdistance. Seeing objects spawn on empty terrain as you approach it just looks ugly in my opinion.

I'm glad they reverted to the ArmA 1 way of rendering objects at distance. You may have to reduce your viewdistance now to get the same performance, but the results are worth it.