Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Is it actually a layer, or is it the ground level reference on the prone model being dynamically adjusted? The latter approach might explain why there's no big performance hit. If that is the case, can't the adjustment be applied to standing and crouched AI and vehicles for consistency?

Noticed it is only on prone. It should be applied to standing/crouching. But it would look funny... No model out there with a complete body ever lol.

But i would vote for it being applied to all - if there is grass in the area then it should cover feet/knee/body. You might stand behind a low tree and your feet is the only thing giving you away...

Alex

I see Nvidia just released a new Beta driver (195.39) but I didn't see any reference to ArmA II improvements. I won't get a chance to test them until tomorrow evening.

About the beta and my system:

Performance is the same as before. But water is way heavier - like 59232. But my system is old so i think thats why - no biggie. The other improvements are welcomed however.

Im just hoping some day someone acknowledge the sound issue of sticking sounds. They make me and the people i play with very confused every damn time.

Plus i still have these odd distortions when hearing MG's from some angles. Not distortions that lasts long like before. BIS managed to eliminate that. But this is distotion on the sound itself. On the actual BANG (muzzle sound). It goes "BANeeexzzzcchh". Some angles, and as it seems - not all the time.

Alex

OK, so I post it again in I hope right thread. In log I dont see a fix for medic healing you twice. I mean you tell your medic to heal you and when he is done, your character goes trough same healing animation again. I hope this will be sorted out untill 1.05. I dunno if this has been spoken about before but there it is. This same bug was in early versions of ArmA 1 too.

UAV:

Anyone else noticed that UAV's used with SOM doesnt reveal enemies?

The green detection range marker around them is gone - wich is nice - but they wont reveal any enemies. I added extended map info and no red icons coming up. Only enemies that is seen is the ones i look at.

Played with SOM for support together with ACM. I sent up 5 UAV's and none of them finds/reports any targets.

Ticket created at Dev Heaven.

Hitpoints:

Also on the hitpoints matter - real nice - but it would be good if AI could fire at armoured vehicles with wheels - at the wheels - to stop them so they have to go out and fight. Right now they dont fire at all until you turn out. If someone dies when turned out and the hatch is left open - they will keep on fire at the vehicle - but not the wheels. So you can safely drive around them until you feel its time to leave.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Sooo there is a nice admin panel where admin amongst other things can kick/ban players without fiddling with playernumber or names - but how on earth do i acces this interface without leaving the game ?????

In Superpowers there's a new weapon buy system, which i like alot! But if i die and respawn, it mixes up what i had before and the standart equipment of the class i am.

Here i got an RPK with 3x drum magazines +2frag +2smoke +3PG-7VR. When i dropped out the grenades, RPG's where underneath them.

Before respawn: RPK +3xdrum RPG +2PG-7VR

Additional stuff after: 1xdrum 2xsmoke 2xfrag

I like the beta, AI seems to act faster, but maybe it's placebo again :D

Looks like it's going in the right direction!

arma22009-10-3022-27-18-04.jpg

I think there are so many little things new after 1.05 which no one ever saw and noticed, they should release another manual with all the new stuff... It's kinda hard to check out the whole game after every new beta to see what's chanched just because of a lack of communication.

The "changing to rocket weapons" animation still plays to it's end even if the unit is dead.

Grtz Ra!dar

Edited by Ra!dar

The new beta has finally the missions, modules, campaign and more warfare fixes in.

Be sure to review your CIT tickets. Thank you!

The "changing to rocket weapons" animation still plays to it's end even if the unit is dead.

i know it plays the animation but do the unit's legs bend so he falls over at the same time as the weapon-change animation?

the patch was supposed to merge weapon and death animations, not stop weapon animations and carry out death anims.

The mgnest's lodding seems to be a bit better now, but still not good enough.

(you know the mgnest with camo on top that becomes a messy blur where you can't make out if it's manned or not)

Gameplay wise it's very distracting to have an object with messy blob-like textures next to a perfectly detailed one.

i know it plays the animation but do the unit's legs bend so he falls over at the same time as the weapon-change animation?

the patch was supposed to merge weapon and death animations, not stop weapon animations and carry out death anims.

He finishes changing weapon and then falls to the ground. The falling whilst chanching is just with rifles.

<Youtubesoimething>

What about the lag in Y axis?

I dont experience anything like this.

Try a little mouse smoothing.

I dont experience anything like this.

Try a little mouse smoothing.

If it was about smmothing why this is not happens with x axis?

Dunno :) However I just tested ingame, when i set mouse smoothing to "0", i still have pretty fluid motion on the x axis, however it gets a bit jerky on the y axis. Go figure. Or go test and see if it works.

I see Nvidia just released a new Beta driver (195.39) but I didn't see any reference to ArmA II improvements. I won't get a chance to test them until tomorrow evening.
Seemed to work ok in ArmA2 for me but no noticable difference in FPS/Smoothness.

However I had a severe crash in wolfenstein directly referring to nv4 being in loop state, so I reverted back to 191.07 again.

If it was about smmothing why this is not happens with x axis?

That has the easiest fix of all. Speed up that axis - problem solved.

About the anims. The blended anim is AFAIK about when you reloaded before it was a small miss when it was almost done and the HAND would just "snap" back at the end of the anim. Look now - no more "snap" (missing reload anim). Thats great.

Hitpoints/armoured vehicles/AI:

AI doesnt attack armoured vehicles now with small arms fire unless you open the hatch (turn out). Thats pretty good so they conserve ammo. However if someone open the hatch and get killed - the hatch will stay open and the AI will fire at the armored vehicle until they deplete their ammo. And they shoot straight onto the body (emptying their mags), but never at the wheels of armoured wheeled vehicles.

I would really like AI that arent able to take out such a vehicle fast with small arms, but instead fire at the tires to stop you so you have to jump out and fight. AK107 slowly takes down the hitpoints on a LAV25 (very slow reduce) so you have all time in the world to drive around them and "play" before you take off into safety. Would be nice if AI could distinguish between tracked and wheeled and aim lower at the latter.

Alex

That's not quite true - I remember one firefight in Afghanistan where one of my friends tried to shoot an HE round from his M203A1 grenadelauncher over a dried out riverbed - it exploded on impact with the tree line on the other side.

Video proof is here:

you can just make out the explosion in the tree line at around 0:41 - 0:42

Well, I didn't see anything, I heard some bang and that was it.

hope you guys made it out there safely!

btt:

I'm talking about hitting twigs....not trunks.......when there's Infantry hidden behind some bushes or a treeline theres almost NO CHANCE to engange them with 40mm grenades and HE rounds.

its like there's a shield in front of the vegetation......and I'm not fantasizing, BIS already fixed that rockets and missiles explode by contact with vegetation......go check the changelogs.

That has the easiest fix of all. Speed up that axis - problem solved.

[Alex

No your solution doesnt have logic..the problem didnt solve.

BIS fix the Y lag....

oh and this patch is the worst.Massive drop of fps.

BIS get serious plz..

tried with GPUrenderFramesAhead=1 ?

Hey all,

Sorry if this is a silly question, the thread is over 100 pages long so i don't really want to read every page :P

Just wondering, to install the latest beta patch, must i first install all previous versions? Or can i just install the latest beta patch, and it will include every fix from previous beta patches which i do not have?

I currently have the latest official patch 1.04. Thanks for any help!

Rich.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Sorry for double post, i figured it out now. However I am really confused about playing the beta version of the game. It sais if i want to run mods etc i have to add shortcuts and commandlines, but it seems unclear which shortcuts to add commandlines too.

Could anyone give me a more basic guide of how to play the new beta patch, but with all my mods?

Thanks!

BIS, please bring the bigger laser dot back. :) I could follow the dot with my eyes for about 400 meters before and could see it clearly with the LD. Now its small again and you can only see the dot some 100m if even that.

Reason i want that is because the LD doesnt show if its on or off and its really hard to know if you lase or not. Your solution with making it visible further made us sure that we were lasing, and it was nice to see and keep the dot onto target.

Please guys, a more visible dot or a red light in the LD optics would be awesome.

About AA:

Some said AA feels heavier now. I think i agree. As some of you know ARMA is a game that takes some time to really feel and know if it IS better or not with a new beta. Sometimes a mission can feel one way and the next time it feels different. Even though its the same mission with the same things happening.

About the AA specifically, it seems BIS fixed it a bit when it comes to the "artifacts" of making some white/transparent pixels around objects that can be seen when you have for example smoke around. So if i look at my unit in 3d person and have smoke between him and the horizon (unit - smoke - horizon (ground or sky)) you see that your weapon/unit have white/transparent pixels around it/him. This i think was even when you had ground in the background? Now the pixels show when you have sky in the background wich it did before also, but i think even ground made the pixels show before - and that isnt the case now. I saw it slightly at some smoke and nothing at all at others. So that might be a reason AA would take more performance. Because it works better.

Just speculation on my part however. Dont take that as any truth at all. Just noticed that transparancy pixels were not as obvious against ground backdrop. Still there against the sky though.

Alex

Could anyone give me a more basic guide of how to play the new beta patch, but with all my mods?

Mods are loaded precisely the same way, beta patch or not. Just do it as before and you'll be ok.

Why don't you use a laucher like:

Arma Addon Sync ( http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/yoma-addonsync2009 ) or ARMA II Laucher ( http://arma2.ar.funpic.de )

I do use a launcher, but ever time i tried to configure it to use the beta folder, the game crashed. Please could you explain me how to do it with a launcher?

Thanks if you can :)

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Mods are loaded precisely the same way, beta patch or not. Just do it as before and you'll be ok.

Yeah but the beta patch is installed in a new folder called "Beta", rather than being installed directy into the game files. So if i click the "arma 2 beta shortcut", it launches the beta, except with none of my mods.

I can manually make it use all my mods, but i have to make a commandline for each one in the "arma 2 beta" shortcut. Is there no way i can just use my standard arma 2 launcher so it uses my mods, and the beta patch?

I tried renaming the beta folder to "@beta", but when i loaded that into the arma 2 launcher and started the game, i instantly got a crash.

Thanks!