Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Beta 1.03..58946

Better LOD switching (rearly noticeable), no texture loading bug, better performace and dunno if u've done something with vehicles but they do respond better and driving feels better! :D

Keep it up BIS!

I still have it, damn it. Not as bad as it used to be in 1.03, but still there. Worst is with post-processing ON.

slow texture loading has become much better but i still have it with video memory on high with a GTX280 1gb card. On default it's almost gone.

The people with mouse lag issues were crying over "remove smoothing" for months now.

They did it. As simple as that

Yes and that introduced some other problems, just as bad... They need to find another way to solve it. Maybe take a look at other games and how they do it. I've never experienced mouse lag with any other game... ever.

The mouse smoothing slider is a good thing though. Any option for the players to customize controls is great!

Maybe take a look at other games and how they do it.

Are you talking about the iron/reflex sights stutter without mouse smoothing? I think it's because ArmA 2 has floating zone (OFP had no mouse smoothing with floating zone too but it worked because OFP didn't have 3D iron/reflex sights).

Are you talking about the iron/reflex sights stutter without mouse smoothing? I think it's because ArmA 2 has floating zone (OFP had no mouse smoothing with floating zone too but it worked because OFP didn't have 3D iron/reflex sights).

Well.. i don't know what the problem is (well how could I? Even the devs have to work hard to solve it) but I know I've played plenty of games with both 3D iron sights and more demanding graphics without any mouse lag. I just hope they'll come up with some good idea how to solve it.

It's a bit better for me now though... Have it stuttering and jumping a bit at least makes it playable (even if it's hard) compared to the lag that makes it useless.

I hope they'll focus a bit on the receiving bug. Me and my friends get that every single time we play coop. Had it about 10 times last night.

I hope they'll focus a bit on the receiving bug. Me and my friends get that every single time we play coop. Had it about 10 times last night.

I'm sure you've tried a lot to get this fixed, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what you've heard before, but: have you tried running the NVidia 182.50 drivers? I had some problems with the latest ones (not just with Arma2 but also The Sims 3), so I rolled back to 182.50 as recommended by some people on these forums. So far I've been using these drivers for several months and haven't had any problems with them. Good performance, no crashes or recieving bug. Newer drivers sometimes caused crashes and even BSODs with Arma2 and The Sims 3.

Agree maddog. i have a gtx 280 (vista 64) and have tried all of the drivers. 182.50 remains by far the best in my case anyway. i didnt have the receiving bug prior, but do get it occasionally running beta but it's a good tradeoff. the latest driver (190.62) causes blocky, dark display and are unstable no matter what my settings. my 2 cents

I'm sure you've tried a lot to get this fixed, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what you've heard before, but: have you tried running the NVidia 182.50 drivers? I had some problems with the latest ones (not just with Arma2 but also The Sims 3), so I rolled back to 182.50 as recommended by some people on these forums. So far I've been using these drivers for several months and haven't had any problems with them. Good performance, no crashes or recieving bug. Newer drivers sometimes caused crashes and even BSODs with Arma2 and The Sims 3.

Thx.. I'll try that one tonight!

MadDogX, Gutm@sher,

With 182.50 can you run with video memory on default or do you stick with very high for stability?

The major annoyance for me is still the slight slowdown as I fly over the big cities. I don't get this with default but I do get CTDs. I'm stable with very high however.

Mouse is absolutely fine with the newer betas. I just wish there were more people online.

P

Tophe, force vsync off in nvidias control and disable mouse smoothing - is mouselag reduced?

Also set "max frames to render ahead" to 0 (just to try). Does that reduce mouselag futher?

darkman,

i run on "default" seems to be better performance and more stable on this setting (especially with beta). memory is being reported correctly in config. never seen a solid answer from the devs on where this setting should be and why. i keep my view distance @ 2500 which minimizes my in flight slowdown for helos but jets is still jerky. never had mouse issues so change there for me.

Danny;1428945']Tophe' date=' force vsync off in nvidias control and disable mouse smoothing - is mouselag reduced?

Also set "max frames to render ahead" to 0 (just to try). Does that reduce mouselag futher?[/quote']

Thx man but I've done all that.. Playing with those settings by default since Arma2 release.

MadDogX, Gutm@sher,

With 182.50 can you run with video memory on default or do you stick with very high for stability?

The major annoyance for me is still the slight slowdown as I fly over the big cities. I don't get this with default but I do get CTDs. I'm stable with very high however.

Mouse is absolutely fine with the newer betas. I just wish there were more people online.

P

Default appeared to cause flickering textures in cities, so I've been running very high ever since without issue.

Crap... I'm on Windows 7 x64 and 182.50 doesn't seem to be available for it.

Damn, your right, hadnt noticed that. must be the first time im glad i have vista! @madog: is your arma quite stable on "very high"? i was having alot of crash issues until i moved to default. of course, for me, arma runs fine one day and crashes 6 times the next without changing anything so its hard to pin it down. need more time with latest beta, but overall beta stability is great so far relative to 1.03.

@Tophe

So your saying that now you got rid of the "mouse lag" but you got stuttering when aiming now?

I never had any mouse related problems until i tried the beta, then it turned aiming into BF2 style aiming by letting player spin around like on a plate in a split second.... BUT it also added stuttering when trying to aim. Now on latest beta build if i set mouse smooting on max that stuttering is complete gone!!

Just testing the latest beta now for performance.... so far 0% performance improvement over 1.03 :(

I'm measuring purely on FPS in a certain area where I test and configure my settings.

There could however be performance improvements in terms of loading textures etc... but not in fps at this stage.

Yapa

@Tophe

So your saying that now you got rid of the "mouse lag" but you got stuttering when aiming now?

I never had any mouse related problems until i tried the beta, then it turned aiming into BF2 style aiming by letting player spin around like on a plate in a split second.... BUT it also added stuttering when trying to aim. Now on latest beta build if i set mouse smooting on max that stuttering is complete gone!!

Well, with mouse smoothing off I get a responsive mouse, but it jumps, skips and stutters too much to be very playable. With mouse smoothing on I get massive lag. So if I pull the slider until it stops stuttering I end up with lag somewhere half way to max...

I've tried XP and win 7...

Just testing the latest beta now for performance.... so far 0% performance improvement over 1.03 :(

There could however be performance improvements in terms of loading textures etc... but not in fps at this stage.

Yapa

Sadly, there is no notable improvement in loading textures. Only improvement I have been able to achieve is described in my thread in Troubleshooting. However, when I change VM from Very high to any other, let alone other settings, everything goes to hell and textures pop up slow as never.

Just a heads up...

I have found that often when I change settings I have to restart the game to get a true indication of the effect.

I have had texture/LOD issues only to find them gone after a restart/reboot.

Well, with mouse smoothing off I get a responsive mouse, but it jumps, skips and stutters too much to be very playable. With mouse smoothing on I get massive lag. So if I pull the slider until it stops stuttering I end up with lag somewhere half way to max...

I've tried XP and win 7...

So to smooth across the skips and jumps would be to lag? If the stuttering is regular, I'd say it seems the problem is the with raw data, as ArmA2 sees it (and then smoothes). Not at all sure how low level the issue runs.

I wonder if BI could make a shortcut command for an ingame display of mouse data (like the FPS counter). Show the hardware data, and then ArmA2's processed data. Help to isolate the issue and bring fact to speculation. For that matter, i wonder if DirectX has such a tool or monitor..

Anyone had a problem with the planes in the beta?

Just tried the Su several times in the armory and I couldn't get it to stay airborn. The plane just kept losing altitude. Attempting to take it higher would keep it up for a little while but I'd lose so much speed that I'd still hit the ground eventually, and couldn't get it over an alt of 30. Full gears, flaps up.

Crap... I'm on Windows 7 x64 and 182.50 doesn't seem to be available for it.

try the 181.71 beta driver Win 7 64 bit, works well for me with 280 gtx/8gig ram and win7 64. its very stable in arma 2 for me.

Well, with mouse smoothing off I get a responsive mouse, but it jumps, skips and stutters too much to be very playable. With mouse smoothing on I get massive lag...

same here.

and still awaiting performance improvements...