Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Despite my previous unwillingness:

I installed ATI 9.8 + the latest beta patch, and

- I noticed a significant increase in FPS

- I HAD to notice a significant increase in textures loading (!!!)

Notice that too.

i use 9.8 hotfix myself ... tho they still not fixed Anno1440 and some other games ...

Sorry if this was already answered, there were a ton of pages.

9.8 worked fine for me, but I didn't notice any improvement (didn't bench to be fair). I might hold off on this Beta until it is released...

I'm not holding anyone to any firm dates, I work for a software company too and know the drill - I can't get dates out of my own team....

But roughly when do you see this being released to the public, and then Steam. Same day for both? And what is an average time cycle for a patch of this size?

just curious....thanks guys.

Had a CTD when it said I didn't have enough RAM 1066X 4 GB...lol. People were saying possible memory leak - but I'm not gonna think like that.

Anyways, I grabbed 4 more gigs of 800 and spent last couple days ensuring stability (OCZ motley crew edition I'm calling it, 2 DIMMS of Fatality, 2 DIMMS of Blade)...So now I'm gonna go back and see how it performs with all 8 gigs in, with a slight slower clock on the RAM now.

Still loving the game!:yay:

They're on a basis of "when it's ready" but BIS are looking to release more frequent patches (think every 2-4 weeks maybe)

One thing to keep an eye out for. If you have issues with 8gb in (Arma doesn't really like 8gb right now) load the game with -winxp switch.

Did you install 9.8 hotfix or regular drivers 9.8?

Honestly, I have no idea:o) I just went to the official ati.com web page and downloaded the full suite (ca 37 Mb).

Sorry to say Gill... but the extra 4GB of memory you purchased will not help with ARMA2.

As you might know working in software, 32bit programs cannot address over 4GB of memory and as ARMA2 is a 32bit executable it will not be able to use more than this.

After many hours of game play and testing I found that ARMA2 uses less than 2GB of memory. The error you saw was most likely a bug unfortunatelly!

Either way that extra memory might become helpful later down the track!

Yapa

Notice that too.

notice that three,about the performance increase after applying the beta patch.

not as much as ShaiCZ did though,as for some reason my fps is capped around 30 in the beta version.

in cities like chernogorsk,it seems texture loading has sped up and the fps has never really gone down below 22..maybe it has for 1 second lol. still to me is playable :p

i added a launch parameter "-cpucount=3" (using an amd PII x3) just to mess around,dont know if it did help or not.

Tested the BETA some hours now.

And i have to say that the performance feels better. Nothing drastic but clearly improved. Certain trees still drag my system down pretty hard but i guess vegetation wasnt touched yet. It also does seem to load things faster like others say. Was nice to call in WP and see that humongous phosphor cloud as well. :) Also no distortion in sound. Very nice!

You are doing good BIS. :)

Please also later check what you can do with vegetation performance wise, plus the sounds that get stuck on the ear they first play on. Call for example arty and turn around just as it impacts. Notice the sound stays where you first heard it.

Thanks.

Alex.

Is it normal that when you got a loaded weapon (30 bullet mag) you shoot some shots and then you reload and you got 30 bullets again ? Actually if you don't shoot your whole first mag there is supposed to be a bullet in the chamber + 30 bullet from the new mag which makes for 31 shots and not 30. Or maybe it just says 30 but it's 31, then it should say 31.

Can anyone enlighten me on this one ?

I don't believe the game simulates rounds being chambered I'm afraid mate... Come to think of it I can't think of a game that does. :p

I don't believe the game simulates rounds being chambered I'm afraid mate... Come to think of it I can't think of a game that does. :p

Americas army and rainbow six come to mind actually. Arma really should have this

America's army v2 and v3 does some hl2 mods do it too I believe, I'd say most of the games do ^^,

Anyway it's nothing really hard to code I assume and it's part of the little details that make up for a real authentic feeling IMO.

Oh right, didn't know that... been a while since my AA days. :D

Come to think of it I can't think of a game that does. :p

Actually, a lot these days (particularly HL/Source mods).

I've a question for BIS: will you include, with the 1.04 patch, chance to reinforce and create our (and new) squads? I'm talking about the "high command" in the single player campaign "Red Harvest"

It's actually already there (pretty much) but has to be scripted into the mission. Hopefully it'll be put into every high command mission.

Yes but I can't believe I have to "modify" the single player campaign to add this feature XD I really hope they'll put into "high command missions" =) I trust BIS u.u

Crysis does!

Crysis does!

If it does, it's hardly ever significant enough to notice. I never did.

But comparing Crysis to ArmA II is worse than COD/BF. :rolleyes:

Chambered bullet is sooo anecdotic/unimportant in the grand scheme of things... It only ever adds one more bullet at most. That'd be pretty low in my priority list if I were BIS, given the scope of other problems they face. If everything else was flawless/perfect, why not, the more the merrier, but now...

IMO it's the small details that make OFP/ArmA awesome, like accurate constellations and tides, being able to salute and sit down. I don't think it would take a lot of effort to include this one little detail...