Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

The only difference I notice is that without aiming deadzone on when I move my mouse the outside cursor/mouse aim, and inside cursor/gun aim, are in perfect sync, prior to beta they are out of sync due to getting a bead (raising my aiming deadzone makes it so it takes a little time to get a bead again)

That said, I've always run on high DPI with my mouse (sidewinder) and very low sensitivity in the options.

Perhaps this "mouse smoothing" could be an option in the control settings, as Maddmatt already stated. I'm not sure it's possible to do it like so, but quite frankly it does change the "feel" of the game. There is however one positive side and that is the vehicle driving. I find it alot easier to steer with the mouse then before, more precise. Not exactly as ArmA: Armed Assault (4 wheel vehicles was had better steering there), but that might be a settings issue on my part.

As for the rest: Kudos. :)

Never heard of this "mouse lag" from before.

Glad to hear everything else is looking good with the beta patch though.

You realise you can reduce the sensitivity in the control options?

Yes i wasnt born yesterday. Tested everything back and forth and i get the same movement as in some other games ive tested and binned quickly cause of this same behaviour. Button for optional mouse smooh would be best. Even though i think i read that BIS said there is no use of getting mouse smooth back into ARMA2. Hope i understood that wrong.

Im not the only one experiencing this. BF2 handling wont due and this game is bust in that case, but as i said i hope BIS wont go there and make this optional so both camps can be happy. Or all 3 camps: People WITH mouse lag, people WITHOUT and people who want ARMA2 to feel like BF2.

Alex

I can't decide if I like it or not.

Fixed: Switching to Utes from Chernarus caused Utes to contain infinite landscape.

Yep, thats fixed.

Edited by Jakerod

I've just been playing for about 30mins. I didn't have any mouse lag problems, the new mouse movement is noticeable at first, but then i forgot about it within minutes, so it really doesn't bother me.

The game is running so good too, I just installed Win7 few days ago, which was a massive fps increase over Vista, but now I think performance is even higher?

New sound effects are great, seeing the flash then hearing the shot!

Keep it up BIS

Turning around on Utes runway looking at my feet i have 80FPS. With mouse smooth it is true 80FPS movement wich means no stutter at all. I mean its the same flow as looking at my hand in real life moving back and forth.

Without mouse smooth - still 80FPS looking down at my feet moving, and i see these millions of small stutters. So its obviously not lag, but thanks to that the mouse doesnt have smooth (fills in some gaps?) it stutters even though they are small and millions.

However the whole point is that if BIS wont make this an option i wont have one single area in ARMA2 that is completely stutter free. And that feels quite annoying. Maybe if you never had complete stutter free play in ARMA2 you wont notice the difference, but its annoying as hell when you have.

Vote mouse smooth for option now! :)

Seriously.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Dont think the performance in cities is in this one. There is a changelog for this beta, but the beta is 23-ish MB so i dont think everything is in it yet? Not sure.

Havent even got off the Utes runway as i was shocked over how crap "no mouse smooth" is lol.

Amazing initiative, to say the least.

This will ensure better results, less tears and less drama after the incoming patch releases.

-----------------------

Regarding the BETA Patch in question:

- Most of the reported fixed issues are indeed, fixed in-game.

-----------------------

Now, it would be greatly appreciated that you would focus on the 2 following significant aspects of the game :

- Objects Drawing (Engine Streaming when advancing).

- Performance.

- Vsync issue.

Regards,

TB

Actually, I agree with the object drawing. Would it be possible to disable higher LODs when zooming in with right mouse click, (or in my case left Windows key)? It doesn't zoom that far, and the changes in LOD might look worse than some low poly objects.

Since I mention it, why aren't I always allowed to zoom in? It's mostly in vehicles, like helicopters, but not being about to zoom in annoys me. :huh2:

Yes definite need for mouse smooth option.

Didn't have mouse lag before but do now, and it is really bad, can't even aim properly.

Is it just me or do they never include a full fix list?

I just realized that the eastern grenades (RGOs?) explode on impact now like they're supposed to. I'm glad I figured this out now. There are a lot of situations where I might have found out about this new feature in a bit more of a suicidal way.

Nevermind I lied they don't. Apparently there have always been two kinds of them and I just hadn't noticed. I find it odd that the insurgents have timed ones but their trucks carry impact ones.

Edited by Jakerod

I've never been much of a whiner and I've never had a problem with mouse lag (whatever that is) before, but this beta completely ruined the game for me. No amount of changing mouse settings seems to fix the twitchy, spasmodic mouse movements in this beta. I couldn't even walk straight, let alone aim at anything. If we're stuck with this kind of movement in the real patch--with no option to turn it off--then I would be done for good with this game.

i see what u mean about the mouse issue. i never had mouse lag, but after applying the patch the game just feels wrong. i like high sensitivity and i turn off mouse smoothing in other games, but this feel does not suit arma 2 at all. at least they fixed the smoke grenades, that had been bugging me

i see what u mean about the mouse issue. i never had mouse lag, but after applying the patch the game just feels wrong. i like high sensitivity and i turn off mouse smoothing in other games, but this feel does not suit arma 2 at all. at least they fixed the smoke grenades, that had been bugging me

You guys know you can still play the original 1.03 version right?

is that an official and public beta patch? I mean, nothing in news sections here or in www.arma2.com :j:

Beta Patch

Arma 2 Beta is a public preview release intended for developer testing and community feedback. It may be updated often and we use it to verify that a bug we are tracking has been fixed. This semi-automated release pipeline was designed primarily for our various external QA teams but we believe it makes sense to keep this open and transparent to the entire user community. However, please understand that it's released for advanced users only and for those who would like to give their helping hand with the testing and further development or simply to see what future versions of Arma 2 may bring.

Read More (BI-Dev-Blog)

Without mouse smooth the feeling is more OFP than ARMA.

Maybe for SP I'd choose mouse smooth. As for a PVP game I'd choose probably without.

Please BIS make it optional. That would please the Greek and the Trojans.

Its good to have the sound delay back, I just needed to comment on that. No longer can they dodge my sniper bullets :)

Edited by sparks50

To all those complaining about mouse issues - remember, this is a beta patch. It's clearly stated that it might introduce other issues. It's good that you're all posting your feedback and it's important that BIS know about it but for those that are saying that's it for them - they're done with the game etc. - you're being a bit extreme...

Be constructive, put up your experiences but remember - you are now involved in user testing - not playing an official release...

Is this supposed to work with Steam? My game crashes instantly now.

Works now, but wow, it feels like my mouse isn't connected at all to my weapon now. Uck.

Edited by kylania

Beta Patch build 58814 does not fix mouse lag for me.

I have a saved game overlooking the town of Dolina which is great for repro-ing this issue. The frame rate is good, but the mouse lag is particularly noticeable and worse when zoomed (hold breath).

EDIT: I've changed my opinion after tests with and without mouse smoothing in beta 58834. Smoothing disabled does significantly reduce the input / mouse lag effect.

Edited by Greg