Sign in to follow this  
Oligo

Number of enemy losses

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Mar. 22 2002,11:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">interesting note foxer...  no identifieable remains from ANY of the people on either plane was ever found.. the only way they knew who was on was passenger manifest..<span id='postcolor'>

Well,if the towers were still up,what do you think happen to them ? I know that once the building fell and was on fire for like a month most of them just turn into ashes.I'm talking about impact.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Mar. 22 2002,11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A. Debris prevents people from realizing nobody was there to die

get shot at by nothing alot do ya?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. You see a mudhut and ask for an airstrike. Boom! A shitload of debris left. Now how many baddies were there? Awsshiit, let's say twenty, ok?

aaah....good points.

now, the first estimate was TENS of THOUSANDS dead in the towers, then it gradually lowered into "only" 3000 (give or take some)

its not any different in a war...casualties are always expected higher than in reality...

the inital casualty count on the WTC was based on the normal level of occupancy of the towers at that time of day and week, a guess as to how many people could have gotten out in time, how many were on the floors that were hit, how many were above..

besides, in a situation like that.. its always better to see the count go down and not up.

exactly my point wobble.

casualties counted after what could have been in there, same as what could be in a cave or a mudhouse...etc etc

its the same thing...we cant see, we cant know...we can only quess, and we quess for a lot higher number than in reality..9-11 is just one of many many examples of that.

i am not saying that us is lying, so you dont need to blindly defend your nation...im only saying that your army is quessing, just as we were quessin about the twin towers..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and as Yugoslavia example dictates, sooner or later, they loose.

<span id='postcolor'>

It would be a misstake to relate Yugoslavia to Afganistan in terms of victory. The bombing went through three stages:

1] Barracks and airfields - heavy damage, but with no results since the barracks were empty.

2] Ground units - total disaster virtually no tanks destroyed and only speeded up the ethnic cleansing by Milosevic

3] Civilian infrastructure - heavy damage

The third one gave real results. It was not a question of military victory, but a civilian opinion in Serbia agains Milosevic, when they for the first time felt that they were bombed. It was not the bombing of the tanks that gave result, it was the bombing of TV-stations, factories, downtown Belgrade and so on. If it wasn't NATO doing it, it would have been called war-crimes, but that is another issue.

The difference between Yugoslavia and Afganistan is that Yugoslavia is an European country with European standards. People expect to have electricity and running water and so on. They had much to loose. Afganistan has been war-torn for god knows how long. People there don't have the same expectations on life quality. Therefor a military victory is required, and it is going to be bloody hard. Occupying Afganistan is not hard. Holding it is. Look at the Soviet invasion. It took them less then one week to occupy the country and they paid the next ten years for it.

As for the bodycount of enemy soldiers - it's pure bullshit. It's propaganda based on guesses. They don't hold that area and they sure as hell are not counting bodies. But that is really nothing new - I mean propaganda in war. The bombing of yugoslav tanks was also a "great success".

"interesting note foxer... no identifieable remains from ANY of the people on either plane was ever found.. the only way they knew who was on was passenger manifest.."

Earlier in the week, the city medical examiner identified the remains of 21 people, including one flight attendant who had been aboard American Airlines Flight 11.

From CNN. They even found that female police officer recently, Moira Smith. Think she was one of the two female lawenforcers killed. Anyway, some people from the planes have aparantly been found. (I take it Flight 11 was one of the two hitting the WTC and not the one hitting Pentagon).

"Well,if the towers were still up,what do you think happen to them ? I know that once the building fell and was on fire for like a month most of them just turn into ashes.I'm talking about impact."

Most would have died on impact. Those that managed to survive that were engulfed in flames from burning jet fuel. I doubt many bodies escaped without getting burnt to a crisp before the building collapsed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Mar. 22 2002,10:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder. The U.S. is claiming a success in operation Anaconda, yet the allied afgans are saying the enemy casualty tally given by the yanks is too high.

Related News Item.

Which source is closer to the truth? Is this another case of U.S. lying to make their ops look better like in Yugoslavia or is it the allied afgans who are mistaken?

wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Most likely based on estimates and the like. Most likely both are wrong adn some where in the middle is the truth....

I'm guessin' Daisy Cutters, Cave Busters, and carpet bombing don't leave a lot left to "count" as a kill. (Do you count a foot as a kill? What if you find a hand and count that too, not knowing that the foot and the hand go together? gross but just my take)

And it's not like they stayed behind in the area. As soon as the resistance ceased the US troops went back to the Bagram base. It's bloody hard to do any estimates. While fighting they probably estimated that there were something like 100-500 enemy soldiers. Then they bombed the hell out of them and thought that 500 was a nice round number to present to the media.

Pitiy there is no taliban media reporting. Then a better estimate could be made by taking (taliban reported casulties + american claimed kills)/2.

Any type of war statistics is either guesses or propaganda, most often both.