Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Driving AI fix

It seems there are at least some very wrong shortcuts defined as "roads" in some villages, making AI cut through gardens instead of following roads, even in safe mode

@Nemesis > :) "will make them try". Nice choice of words ... try especially.

Hey, i played the game too. :p

But its definately better, been this way since OFP.

FYI: Once at Arma I had a problem with a script putting high load on CPU. During testing the mission a AI car went like crazy. I corrected the problem and the same car went the same route without problems.

So "AI driving" seams to be very cpu dependent.

QuietMan

I checked into the formation bugs, doesn't seem to be anything I can do on my end. They act differently than in Arma1, in Arma2 its like they are always detecting the vehicle infront of them as an obstacle that they try to drive around. The wierd thing? even the lead vehicle swerves back and forth like it is trying to steer around an invisible object. This is something that should be added to a bug tracker.

Is it safe to install mods even if I bought this by way of steam?

How do I activate this script/fix? Just place the .pbo into the addon folder? Do I need to run action command or something?

Yes

Make a folder in your arma2 root dir named like :

"@SAKU\addons" and place the ai_driver_fix in this addons folder

In your Arma2 link add -mod=@SAKU

Sak, are you still playing around with this at all? It would be great to have a definitive signed version.

Any chance for a bisign?

No need to as it can be used serverside only.

Clients do not need to have it loaded aswell.

Player's squad members won't benefit from it if it's server side only.

Has this fix been implemented in the latest 1.05 patch or the very latest beta patch? Or in ACE2?

Player's squad members won't benefit from it if it's server side only.

Really?

I thought as the server calculates and broadcasts any AI movements it would´nt be required on clients.

Must be placebo effect then :confused:

I´ve installed the ArmA1 6th Sense AI weapon dispersion tweak in the same fashion on our server and also thought it runs quite fine...

AI's are controlled serverside unless a player is squadleader. At this point all AI under this players command are local to players PC and therefor no longer controlled by server or affected by addons/script that runs serverside only.

I guess BIS decided to keep players AI clientside for two reasons:

- reducing network data transfers as commands give by player to his teammates can be held local

- ensuring that player will always see accurate positions of his team, not influenced by lags or desyncs.

That's what I meant :)

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Really?

I thought as the server calculates and broadcasts any AI movements it would´nt be required on clients.

Must be placebo effect then :confused:

Broadcasts them; yes.

Calculates them; no.

Broadcasts them; yes.

Calculates them; no.

So the server broadcasts something that isn´t there in the first place?

What if 5 players have driving fix installed and five others not?

I´m talking non player controlled AI here, as Myke´s explanation seems to be solid.

For the time being i´ll keep it my way on our server, even if it should turn out to be totally useless after all :D

So the server broadcasts something that isn´t there in the first place?

Not sure what you mean. I think we need to be clear that if you are playing as a squad leader, the members of your squad are hosted on your client PC, so for your squad dudes to make use of this fix, you'd need to have it installed client side.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

What if 5 players have driving fix installed and five others not?

That's the beauty of client side addons, those that have it benefit, those that don't.. don't.

The server still plays a role here, but only in *collecting* the data from the clients, and sending to all the other clients. It won't *control* any client controlled AI.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

I´m talking non player controlled AI here, as Myke´s explanation seems to be solid.

Yes, it is. The server still acts as a messenger for client hosted entities, sending the fact that they exist and what they are doing to the other clients, but it doesn't control them.

AI that are not under the control of a player, however, are totally controlled by the server.

I was doing some more work on it, but BIS released a few patches that were supposed to fix some problems, but instead it ruined what I had done. I was also trying to get convoys moving, but again that fell on its ass because the vehicles just randomly stop and reverse for no reason if they are within 100m of each other. My advice: walk.

Try these ones I was testing in 1.05:

#define SLX_steerAheadSimul 0.65 // ??? too low, too much swerve, too high too cautious, want it as high as possible with lowest swerve and only cautious enough

#define SLX_steerAheadPlan 0.2 // Seems to be analagous to turn radius, too small = too wide, to large = too sharp.

#define SLX_predictTurnSimul 3 // One of these seems to be related to time before AIs react to turns.

#define SLX_predictTurnPlan 1.4 // ??? low = bumping but faster, high = smoother driving but slow?

And check out SLX_Mod_Veh_Core for more comments and test results. I found testing with trucks to be best because the AI have the hardest time because they are so big, but if you can get the AI using the trucks well then everything else should be easy for them. I tested with a Ural going into the back yard of the church in Strelka and then trying to drive to the base and tested until they could maneuver the Ural between the fences behind the church while barely hitting anything, then avoiding traffic on the road and on turn arounds. The only compromise with these settings seems to be they still lightly bump things sometimes, but are mostly good at slowing down before hitting another vehicle and going around other vehicles and objects and not hitting people. Getting them to avoid hitting completely seems to make them drive too slowly. There might be some exact balance where they will drive fast enough and not hit things at all but this is as close as I could get.

@Solus, what vehicles are affected by your mod?

All mods should be signed. Some servers have strict mod control.

Edited by Mr.Peanut

Mr.Peanut: All wheeled vehicles, people, and aircraft should be affected by the new AI steering addon. It will be signed like the other SLX addons.

Added as @saku_ai_driver to the SIX Network in the version grabbed here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6882

Download & Install with SIX Updater

img_update_32_32.png

This means, it's avaible on SIX Updater now. :yay:

Please be advised: Since you didn't provide any keys we created a private key and provided v2 bisigns for your pbo's.

Edited by Banshee

So many mods for Arma have zero installation instructions. Being new to using mods with Arma, I naturally have no idea what to do. And I've found conflicting information. Some say just an @folder in the main directory, others say in the expansions folder.

What do you do with this file? I'd love to check it out. The current AI is nearly hopeless at times.