Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFAI - AI Extension - ARMA II

Current version is build 019 - release date 07.Apr.2010

= These addons require "Extended_EventHandlers" of the CBA Project =

VFAI consists of 2 independent addons

1. VFAI_Equipment enables units to independently equip themselves with weapons and ammo from dead bodys. Further information and details included in the readme file. I advise you to read the readme file - it might explain some behaviour you wonder about. Installation: read the readme file (it is easy).

2. VFAI_Smokeshell will cause units to throw smokeshells whenever they're hit. They will try to throw smoke into the direction of the gunner to block his view. More details in the included readme file. Installation: read the readme file (it is easy). All units will then be equipped with 1 smokeshell and will know when to use it.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

VFAI Download

OLDER YOUTUBE VIDEO SHOWING VFAI (you get the point when seeing it)

VFAI Project history

• 019: VFAI variables will not erratically reactivate
  • 019: Weapons / launchers only taken when loaded (ammo available)
  • 019: Handgrenade class error message (hopefully) resolved
  • 019: Added user config entry to allow/deny taking small arms (pistol slot)
  • 013: Simplified addon version (no group specific behaviour, no more dropping weapons, no control panel -> userconfig file)
  • 013: Increased performance
  • 013: Reduced amount of "Ready" shouts
  • - Switching to build revisioning -
  • 3.1 Equipment.AI: Handgrenade Bug corrected
  • 3.0 Inital ARMA II Release

© 2010 Victor Farbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

Thanks Victor Farbau!

It is a great asset and runs for every SP game here. :)

Did you make the control panel now accessible via the ESC menu instead of useractions?

Designing the system in FSM might make it easier to extend the system, if desired, to

more complex and flexible AI management.

Edited by kju

Another star hits the stage ! Thanks Victor - you are a man of your word :) Installing now !

Totally agree with kju about using the FSM..... sounds right up your AI street :)

@kju: it's useractions still, next on my agenda is to implement that for VFFPSS and then for VFAI afterwards. FSM, haven't looked into this yet...

VictorFarbau

Great work again Victor :) weird - I was just about to ask you whether there is a VFAI Smokeshell release imminent. Turns out there was :)

Always used this addon in A1, and will continue with A2 now. Thanks for the release.

Works wonderfully!

Shame that BIS broke the smoke grenades in 1.03 They will be fixed soon I hope.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Victor,

Does this addon use CBA? The reason I ask is that after installing it I couldn't get one of Heinblod's addons to work that was fine before.

Big thanks for releasing this.

For the grenades, it looks like you put the ammo classnames in. Shouldn't it be:

_vfgrenades = ["HandGrenade_West","HandGrenade_East","HandGrenade"];

instead of

_vfgrenades = ["GrenadeHandTimedWest","GrenadeHandTimedEast","GrenadeHand"];

?

@DMarkwick - your turn :) Currently the smokeshells are a joke. Such a thin trail of smoke that wouldn't even confuse my ole grandma a bit. Useless.

@Krematior - it uses ExtendedEventhandlers of the CBA project indeed to run it on each "Man" class unit. Which addons stopped working?

@Robalo - I did put in the classnames according to the list of Arma II classnames published some time ago. Did you see this not working?

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Thx for your work Victor. Nice to see this addon now in ARMA II :cool:

Victor,

If I want your smokeshells and equipments to be always on, do I need to have the control pbo there ?

@Kremator - no, the control panel is optional in case you prefer to be able to turn on/off some features during the game.

VictorFarbau

@ VictorFarbau

You should read any type of weapons from config.

An example to get the idea

_ammoType = getText(configFile >> "CfgMagazines" >> _x >> "ammo");
_ammoClass = configFile >> "CfgAmmo" >> _ammoType;
if (configName(inheritsFrom _ammoClass) == "MissileBase") then

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/inheritsFrom

You may have to do this recursive through the class tree, as you only

check the direct parent from what I recall.

Thanks Victor, had found it by the time you wrote back by removing the control pbo.

I did find some very funny behaviour where friendly troops would keep running up to dead comrades and changing their weapons even though they had plenty of ammo left.

If there a minimum level of ammo that the AI can have before the script activates ?

@Krematior - it uses ExtendedEventhandlers of the CBA project indeed to run it on each "Man" class unit. Which addons stopped working?

Ah sweet, I was hopeing that it only used that file. Thanx Vic.

Nice work. The AI rearming themselves should be in the game as standard, nothing annoys me more than micromanaging AI team mates to get more ammo.

Does this addon affect teammates?

Great addon, by the end of long missions I end up with medics with RPG-7s, machinegunners with a nicked PKP, etc. Nice to see the single-shot AT weapons being dropped after use as well [RPG-18, etc.]

Slight problem with AI chucking smoke when they hurt themselves by jumping out of choppers/trucks, etc. But not a problem with the addon as much as the AI for injuring themselves in the first place!

Slight problem with AI chucking smoke when they hurt themselves by jumping out of choppers/trucks, etc. But not a problem with the addon as much as the AI for injuring themselves in the first place!

True, but I think of it this way, when this does happen I know that a team mate is hurt or down and they require medical attention. To me it adds more imersion and I can send a medic to help out.

they hurt themselves by jumping out of choppers/trucks

The VFAI code will be paused as long as the unit is mounted in any vehicle - to avoid that exact behaviour. I am not taking the blame here :)

@Robalo_AS: dear me, I was looking at outdated information then. Thanks for the tip. I will update the code rightaway and push the updated version to DH.

Thanks,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

So I put all the addons into my addons folder, yet I get no VFAI control panel when I start a mission? Am i doing something wrong?

So I put all the addons into my addons folder, yet I get no VFAI control panel when I start a mission? Am i doing something wrong?

@Jblack9, either you're not group leader or you're using an older version of VFFPSS at the same time. The latter had a bug which would the VFAI cpanel to not show up.

@Kju - the inheritance method sounds good for the grenade and launcher story. Will put it on the agenda, too.

Regards,

VictorFarbau

Hello victor, is there a way for me to disable the VFAI equipment initially (other than hardcoding the script) then use the control panel to enable it again? I use the VFAI_disable_all=1 parameter but I think that disable it for the entire mission. No matter what I did in the control panel will make it re-enable.

Hello victor, is there a way for me to disable the VFAI equipment initially (other than hardcoding the script) then use the control panel to enable it again? I use the VFAI_disable_all=1 parameter but I think that disable it for the entire mission. No matter what I did in the control panel will make it re-enable.

Right now the only way to do this would be to call the control panel right after mission start and disable VFAI for everybody - then enable it when you need it. Haven't thought about a delayed start yet, to be honest.

VictorFarbau