Sign in to follow this  
Sumrak

Problem with autoplacing roads

Hi,

i have problem with autoplacing roads. I had this problem in Visitor 3 for ArmA and now still have problem in Visitor 3 for ArmA II.

Roads works perfectly, if i make them manually, but, if i want to make road with Visitor autoplacing feature - Visitor crash.. :( (i create a road, then shift (or ctrl) + left mouse click on map)

I have a big map with many km's of roads, i need this function works.. i tested on different pew's, for example on "SampleMap", on my 3 projects or on new map with flat terrain and defined road.. but still same crash..

Thanks, Sumrak

Use MLOD format road models in Visitor, these have the snap-to points on them that help them stick to each other and you don't need to place them manually.

ODOL format roads are binarized MLOD format roads that have the snap-to points removed during the binarizing process.

Planck

I'm using MLOD formats of roads. These MLODs are installed with Bi Tools..

If i said, that i make roads manually, i had in mind work with "Modify road" dialog, Modify dir. A, etc..

Another thing that could maybe solve that problem is just adding an Event Handler into the code so that when it trys to place the road and fails instead of crashing, its shows a dialog that has the error stated or even just a noise like a beep.

E1 (C# Syntax)

try

{

//ROAD CODE HERE

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);

}

E2 (C# Syntax)

try

{

//ROAD CODE HERE

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

Console.Beep();

}

Do you mean custom roads do not work, and BI roads work?

It is weird, because i search this morning a lot of threads, but nobody had a problem with this function..

OChristie: That would be nice :)

kju: On custom or BIS roads does not matter - it is still same crash and all roads using MLODs with snap-to points..

or, what i'm doing wrong, if i want to Visitor make a road from A point of part road to point, which is pointed by combination ctrl (or shift) + left mouse but. ?

In old Visitor 2 this function works well :) (had different controls, but same result = quickly generated road)

This function works also in a earlier a1 vis3 version. Sumarek is right, the bug is present in a1+a2 vis3 Versions.

well report it in the A2 issue tracker

you can also add in addition a czech description over there

SgtAce:

I'm confused :rolleyes: :D, once you say

This function works also in a earlier a1 vis3 version.

and then

..the bug is present in a1+a2 vis3 Versions.

i'm trying to solve problem, if this bug is my fault or Visitor 3 bug, because a search a lot of threads on this forum and nobody have problem, which i have..

On community wiki in V3 manual is this:

Note: You only have to place the first keypart of a roadsection. Then you can simply click on the map and Visitor will try to reach the point, autoplacing the road. Incase you don't like the placement you can change it manually, which is a bit more timeconsuming. If you click on a placed road, the road property window will show up.

Simple click on the map does not work and click with pressed ctrl or shift = crash :D :rolleyes: I can run some dialog with parametres for autoplacing (ctrl+shift and left click on map), there is some parametres and their change had no change on that bug..

This quick placement of roads didn't work for me in V2 neither in new V3. Always crashes, and I've used both road types (depboed roads from A1 or that from sample.zip that BIS gave out). V3 CTDs everytime i press Ctrl+left click. And if I would have to repeat that "insert,insert,apply,delete,apply,insert,apply" procedure to place all the roads again on my map from A1->A2 convert, I'll go nuts...

I have the same problem with autoplacement by clicking on map. Think it is just a bug with Visitor3.

SgtAce said that an earlier version of v3 had the road placement feature working.

Probably the first release version of v3.

Ok, thanks all for the info ;)

IceBreakr:

I currently working on my Namalsk into ArmA II and i'm converting all roads into the nice ArmA II roads :)

to place all the roads again on my map from A1->A2 convert, I'll go nuts...

I tried to change road model, but it is not possible (Visitor said, that old model file is not compatible with new) :rolleyes: So, i'm started with a another way, every road on my map i convert gradually, i export on every road list of parts from A and list parts from B. Then i created a new ArmA II road type and began changing in exported txt every old name into new ArmA II name of the road. (for example: ca\roads\asf25 > to > ca\roads2\asf3_25) Then i created a new road (ArmA II type) and on the both places (A and B) i used my edited text files, and the result is fine :)

How do you get the same location of "road start", write down the coordinates? Do you replace the "first" parts of roads too?

How do you get the same location of "road start", write down the coordinates? Do you replace the "first" parts of roads too?

I left the old road on the map and if i created a new ArmA II road (road start was near old road start), i move new arma II road over the old road - this step is correction too :) if this was ok, and new road was on the old, simply i deleted old road..

if they have the same size, why not mass replace them via moveobject?

if they have the same size, why not mass replace them via moveobject?

Yes, roads have same size. I tried replace road via road type definition and it was no possible.. (Visitor says something like this Old type is not compatible with new..)

What do you mean with replace via moveobject ? :rolleyes:

MoveObject is a tool made by mikero.

You can mass replace path references inside p3d, rvmat, pew and wrp.

Have a look here:

PboDll - The ultimate BI file handling suite

Fred (now called MoveObject and working for all the said formats)

In short have the depbo.dll and moveobject in the same folder.

Launch the console, navigate to the folder of moveoject and execute it.

It will show you how to use it:

T:\pbodll>MoveObject.exe

MoveObject.exe Version 1.76, Dll Version 2.34

=================

MoveObject.exe [-options] NameOfFile[.ext] [from to]

MoveObject.exe NameOfFile[.ext] ReplacementList

MoveObject.exe [-options] NameOfFolder [from to]

MoveObject.exe NameOfFolder ReplacementList

[.ext]=

.p3d (default)

.rvmat

.wrp

Options(case insensitive)

-L list only (default)

-F list to NameOfFile.lst

Examples

MoveObject MyGreatModel

Lists contents of MyGreatModel

MoveObject MyGreatModel this\folder that\folder

renames any folders found

MoveObject MyGreatWrp.wrp this\folder another\folder\filename

Please post bugs in BI ArmA II tools in the A2 Tools CIT.

Kju: great stuff, will try to convert my map with A2 objects (roads,plants,missing buildings) with moveobject. Its quite sad to see that community has the answer while developer leaves you always hanging :/

edit: ehh I give up, its the first time BIS removed bunch of objects from a previous game or didn't provide the replacement with same name :/ all army huts are missing and stuff like that.

Edited by IceBreakr

kju:

Thank you very much :) i try this utility

Please post bugs in BI ArmA II tools in the A2 Tools CIT.

Ok, try to write this bug asap ;)