Sign in to follow this  
osmo

Would you like to see Vietnam expansion for Arma II?

Would you like to see Vietnam expansion for ArmA II?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Vietnam expansion for ArmA II?

• Yes
    • No

I know a lot of people like Vietnam era war games, but there hasn't really been any good Vietnam era games with great atmosphere and realism since Vietcong game by Pterodon.

Now, ArmA II is a great military simulation, basically everything I've ever wished for in a realistic military game. Having ArmA II's great game play and realism combined with a Vietnam era jungle, units and weaponry would make it absolutely perfect!

All that would be needed is one huge jungle island with right type of jungle trees and some villages and base camps in it. Vietnamese civilians, VC and NVA enemies, Vietnam-era weapons (Basic M16, Thompson, M1 Carbine, AK47, traps, etc). A lot of things are in ArmA II already and just need to be a bit modified, like M16A2 rifle, can be easily modified to earlier version. UH-1 Huey is already there, can be converted to earlier version too.

I guess the most time consuming thing for making a Vietnam mod would be making the textures and stuff for trees and realistic jungle in the island. I'd be happy even if it would be just a "sandbox" expansion with the island and units and nothing more, community could create the missions.

No I dont want to see a Vietnam expansion for Arma II...

A Vietnam mod for Arma II wouldnt hurt though.

This is a job for modders. God knows we don't need another WW2 or Vietnam game...

same as most ppl,

would like: vietnam mod

wouldn't like: Vietnam Expansion

Vietnam would mostly be close jungle fighting, not really a strong point for ArmA 2 with its clumsy movement and weird aiming.

I'd rather see Company of Heroes: Vietnam! If ARMA2 ever went back in history, it should only go as far back as the alternate 1985 from OFP1.

Vietnam MOD would be great, a lot of potential for nice scary jungle there.:D

Vietnam would mostly be close jungle fighting, not really a strong point for ArmA 2 with its clumsy movement my lack of coordination and weird aiming my inability to shoot straight.

Fixed :)

I loved the Vietnam mod for OFP so yes, I'd love one for ArmA2 if it could be done without killing the frame rate.

Cheating AI seeing through the vegetation much more successfully than humans could be a big issue, unless we would carpet bomb the entire AO ;)

there isnt that many vietnam games really. BF Vietnam is probably the most fun, probably my favourite too. Vietcong, but thats about it. My favourite would have to be BF vietnam.

If it's a good one, sure, why not?

It's not very high on my list however. I'd prefer other scenario's. But I'd still be up for it if they made.

I might be silly, but i think i'd like just about ANY conflict in ANY era in the Virtuality engine.

-Conquestadores

-Napoleontic Wars

-WW1

-WW2

-Korea

-Vietnam

They all spring to mind.

On the "oh no not another WW2 game" comment: i really really liked some of the WW2 mods for both OFP and Arma, there too big a difference between what's possible in the Virtuality engine versus other games.

Ok the setting is WW2, but the implementation is completely different then what has been done before.

I don't want to pay for something, that's been done by the community in Flashpoint, and ArmA1, and soon ArmA2 according to Snake Man.

I would definitely like a Vietnam expansion to Arma 2. Vietnam is the perfect scenario for exciting and challenging missions in Arma 2.

I would LOVE a Vietnam OFFICIAL addon from BI. They did so with 'Australians in Vietnam' on VBS but who wants to pay 200.00 for VBS (or VBS2 for that matter at 250 and up...), then have to buy the addon discs at 100.00 EACH?????That's insanity. Roll out the Addon pack for ARMA2 plz. On another note, the first poster is right. The only good Vietnam game so far is Vietcong and MAN is it dated!!!

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

Cheating AI seeing through the vegetation much more successfully than humans could be a big issue, unless we would carpet bomb the entire AO ;)

I agree. From this standpoint modders and bohemia can learn something from the Unsung Mod crew. They managed to tweek AI visibility in vegetation a tad bit. I do get annoyed at the 500-1000 meter kills the AI seemlessly pulls off.

Just what I was thinking about the other day.

Expansion or mod, I don't care, as long as it would be high quality.

I'd love jungle warfare, but I wouldn't want ol' Vietnam.

Instead a more modern setting in Malaysia, Indonesia or Laos or somesuch.

If people then want to make a Vietnam mod from that I'd of course welcome and encourage it though. :)

Bring on the Vietnam expack!!!!! ARMA 2s engine would be stunning in a `Nam setting.

I actually had to vote no, given the following reasoning:

1) I don't mind a good Vietnam game, but topping Vietcong will be impossible.

2) If using the built in vegetation and textures, the autumn colors is wildly displaced for a Vietnam setting :)

3) Arma2 doesn't handle dense vegetation well. Chernarus woodland is not dense compared to a jungle.

4) And basically, I'm fed up with trees already. :D

With the near zillions seeming amounts of ww2 games out there, Nam has barely been touched. Vietcong was good in its day, but its day is over. I loved Vietcong. But it really is time someone did a Nam game right.

Pterodon did the best they could with the engine and the resources they had.

But we need a Nam game done right. ARMA 2s visuals`d be awesome, with better character models, weaps, and the motion capture. wOOt! Not to mention ARMA 2s A.I. would be awesome for the VCs.

Voting no because I find it hard enough fighting with arma IIs bushes/forests, the AI are not perfect for it.

I would instead like to see a Korean war as I have never played an FPS based in Korea but have read a few accounts of huge battles and hill defenses.

Despite the Americans running off and Vietnam eventually falling, the VC and NVA took massive losses and did not have matching quality armaments very often, Korea might be a fairer fight

I would like BIS to give us a small island with jungle vegetation made in Linda. Then mods and islandmakers can make good looking well performing jungles.