Sign in to follow this  
oktane

Sound Test Application - using XAudio2 API

Due to some problems with sound that some are having (including myself), I compiled an app from the latest Microsoft DirectX SDK which uses the XAudio2 API. I didn't write it, a dude at Microsoft did. This is the same API that the game uses, so it is ideal for:

-Testing to see if your drivers work ok with XAudio2

-Making sure that your DirectX is functioning (app will error out if not)

-Testing surround sound for proper functioning

-Positioning surround sound speakers to avoid dead spots

I have not tested it on anything but Vista and Windows 7 so if someone has XP, let me know if it works ok!

The point of this post is to hopefully get an A2 files site to mirror this, as its handy for troubleshooting and tweaking Arma2 for best audio experience.

The source code is included. It is basically the stock XAudio2 sample from the DirectX SDK with the reverb effects commented out since they caused it to crash. So the reverb dropdown doesn't do anything.

I tried to set up a sound test in the editor with 4 vehicles NWSE directions with engines running to help tweak my speaker positions in my room, it was pretty difficult using just the game itself because all the engines sound similar, this app makes it a lot easier to find dead spots. I ended up moving my side speakers up quite a bit and now the game sounds phenomenal during a battle with no 'silent spots' when I turn around.

Hope this helps some folks.

DOWNLOAD 7zip

DOWNLOAD rar

How to install:

There is no installation. You decompress the file and run the shortcut. This is independent of the game, it is only to test out audio. The reason it is relevant is it uses the same audio API as the game. (Arma 2)

Edited by oktane
Added 7zip since thats what the community likes to use.

Please explain how one would install these.

Updated post.

Just decompress, and run the shortcut, and the application will start. It will just play a helicopter sound and you can move around the source of the helicopter sounds with WASD keys. You will notice it coming from the rear of you if you move the red square to the lower part of the grid. (providing you have rear speakers)

Thanks

Sounds better than ingame.. it tries to imitate sound coming from behind by lowering volume on all speakers but still no 5.1. Audigy 2 platinum with newest drivers & xp 64. Dont have anything to tweak there.. and it was working in Arma1 :(

Mine crashes everytime. I have the latest directX so is there another cause. Also, in the demo I had no sound (was not steam version).

Nobody wants to mirror this or add it to the audio troubleshooting sticky?

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Mine crashes everytime. I have the latest directX so is there another cause. Also, in the demo I had no sound (was not steam version).

Look in this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77880

If my app crashes, AND the game has no audio, I think thats pointing a fat finger to your directx even if you have updated it.

Try to submit to the news page to get on their radar. :)

It's the exact same DX application, from Ms, that I have experimented with recently, not sure why you had to recompile and remove reverb etc but that's not important,

(hopefully).

My results... I have no problem when the default Voice playback/record is different from my Sound device.

Sound Device : Realtek HD Audio ( ALC888 )

Voice Device : Logitech USB headset.

I connect via coax cable over s/pdif to an old but Dolby Digital & DTS capable reciever. No subwoofer connected but that makes no difference.

HOWEVER...

The sounds destined from the rear (or surround) speakers came from the centre speaker with a slightly reduced volume.

I fixed this by telling XP (64) that I had NO SPEAKERS at all. !:butbut:

So with "no speakers" I get surround sound in all application / games which support it.

As for the Arma2 crackling, which I had real bad, I fixed that by re-installing OpenAL.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Doh!

I was in windows7 when i was testing Arma2 :) an the sound is fine, it is still crackling in XP64 and Arma2 has no OpenAL !! :)

Edited by fusionofp
Doh