Sign in to follow this  
BD1

VON Issues

New expansion mods are great an all that, but can we possibly get an estimate as to when VON will be fixed so that more than 25 players can play on a dedicated server without people crashing left right and center!?!

I would dearly like to hear a firm positive piece of news, i.e. target date that we can expect a VON fix for ArmA2?

Personally I feel this is one of the greatest issues/problems that we have with the title. We have been using TS at the TacticalGamer servers but trying to organise 40+ players on TS becomes a pain in the backside AND it takes away from the ambience of the game.

It is also affecting mission design currently.

If anyone from the BIS team could give us an update on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

BD1

New expansion mods are great an all that, but can we possibly get an estimate as to when VON will be fixed so that more than 25 players can play on a dedicated server without people crashing left right and center!?!

I would dearly like to hear a firm positive piece of news, i.e. target date that we can expect a VON fix for ArmA2?

Personally I feel this is one of the greatest issues/problems that we have with the title. We have been using TS at the TacticalGamer servers but trying to organise 40+ players on TS becomes a pain in the backside AND it takes away from the ambience of the game.

It is also affecting mission design currently.

If anyone from the BIS team could give us an update on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

BD1

yes!!! we have disabled VON because with more then 10-12 players almost everyone has a crash during the night. We disabled VON; and low and behold pretty much everyone played with no problems.

Same exact problem that was in Arma1 (that they fixed with a patch), but it seems they forgot about it for A2

I'll just add that I think this should be the highest priority fix; some people are crashing out with it enabled, which means the rest of us don't get to use it because servers keep it off! It's particularly frustrating because in comparison, I can fire up Arma and have working VON.

Looking forward to some feedback and news from any of the BiS team on this as soon as possible, cheers fellas.

BD1

Personally I feel this is one of the greatest issues/problems that we have with the title.

I second that.

For me, multiplay is the soul of ArmA and a broken VON implementation kills the immersion totally.

Teamspeak may work, but compared to a good In-Game VON, it is more an immersion killer.

ArmA 1 VON works perfectly fine, at least from what i experienced so far. How hard could it be to fix the VON Issues in ARMA 2.

Please Devs, ArmA 2 has at least as much potential as ArmA1, fix the issues first (VON being #1 on the List), then go for Expansion Packs.

Apart from that, it's a great Game.

I also think this should be a high priority, we have to use Ventrillo on our servers and that really leaves the public players out of the loop.

Oh yea, highest priority, TS or ventrilo (which is far better imo) are great, but its so great to see/hear people talking ingame with their lips opening up. maybe they could add a radio screaching when you dont use direct chat.

Devs...any chance you can feedback on this?

Greatly appreciated

I agree with you all. Working VON is essential for running a realistic public server. Inviting all new players to TS/Ventrilo is not really a good option and using TS/Ventrilo kills some of the immersion anyways. Nothing can beat direct talk in the VON if it works.

Having in-game voice chat with direct talk option really makes the atmosphere of the game feel so much better and improves the team play, as well as the different group channels. While fixing VOIP, it would be important to have separate volume for it as well, but most important is to make it work generally. E.g. so that the voices don't break up in the middle of sentences and it doesn't cause crashes. I personally haven't experienced any crashes, but the voice breaking up makes it unusable as we have to ask the speaking person to repeat again and again.

Bump...Can I ask why not a single thread, dev or BiS rep can give anyone even a hint of some development work on in-game VON??

How hard could it be if in a worst case scenario to switch back to the sound engine for ArmA1?

I remain hopeful we may hear something on this, rather than expansion packs..

I'm really interested in knowing this also, my purshage of arma2 is on hold mostly due to this problem.

Leave the standalone expansion on the drawer until we have a working game, it's really best to consolidate what you have or you will have a second headache with the expansion.

Like the popular proverbs says (in Portugal at least): "It's better to have one bird in your hand, then two flying."

Patch : 1.02.58064 "VON no longer crashes the game in certain circumstances."

Is this what you were looking for?

Edited by BeerHunter
found url

Patch : 1.02.58064 "VON no longer crashes the game in certain circumstances."

Is this what you were looking for?

No.

VON stability is still a major issue. For this reason, many servers have VON disabled. This should be a very high priority for BIS to investigate and fix. It's disappointing to play a game in complete silence, only to realize that a small percentage of players are talking on Teamspeak or Ventrillo while many players are not able to talk at all. Many multiplayer server admins are disabling VON, a major game feature, due to stability issues.

Can a BIS representative acknowledge this forum thread please?

Latest beta build (58972 and later) seems to have fixed VON crashing issues.

VON is still having some problems, however:

1) for some players, volume on Direct Channel is the same at 1m distance and at 80m distance.

2) overall voice quality seems low/cuts off speech

Edited by 1longtime

Latest patch is 2 newer than 58972...

v59025 is the latest.

Link Beta's: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Yes, I understand. I use the latest beta as a client. I can't control which beta the server runs though. I know the server I play on is not on 59025 yet.

However, I did not see any notes in the 59025 changelog regarding the issues I mentioned above (distance and volume from speaker on Direct Channel and overall voice quality).

I'm assuming 59025 does not fix those issues. If I'm incorrect, please let me know.

We are trying to use in-game VON but we find the quality really variable. Some people are very people, others are so choppy it's unusable. Any idea how to get it in a usable state?

Preacher;1441757']We are trying to use in-game VON but we find the quality really variable. Some people are very people' date=' others are so choppy it's unusable. Any idea how to get it in a usable state?[/quote']

"Some people are very people" ...I'll assume that was a typo and you meant to say "Some people are very clear"

We are also having trouble with quality. I know there is a server setting for VON quality, but as I understand it, even with the setting on "high quality" (and high bandwidth usage) some people are being cut off, garbled, and cannot be understood.

No idea how to fix this or if/when it will be addressed.

How does VON _really_ work? What bandwidth requirements it has?

We experienced it to work well in a 10-12player COOP game, but a 2-3 of us had crappy, cracking voice quality. Always the same people. Could it be client upstream bandwidth problem?

Is it P2P connection?

Quality settings on server side refer to voice quality or compression quality? If I lower it will the client side upstream requirement also lower?

Fortunately we have no problems on server side bandwidth and CPU/memory parameters.

Edited by Szepy

bump for answers on poor performance VON such a critical component of online play

I think it's theoretically all fine and fixed with patch 1.07, from what I can hear.

Unfortunately for a while already (few beta patches before 1.07) my VON and "remote" radio messages are really really REALLY low in volume - and I cannot adjust either with none of the volume sliders!

But if I turn up the headset volume really high (it almost busts my hearing), all VON communications are now really good.

VON is now working well, it doesn't break up anymore. Thanks BIS!