Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

On the main page write : Download the demo Coming Soon...

Any news about this demo?

Sorry, am no good speak english.

@mant3z Someone else from the Polish forum?

On the main page write : Download the demo Coming Soon...

Any news about this demo?

Sorry, am no good speak english.

@mant3z Someone else from the Polish forum?

No news yet. The game however is fully finished and the devs are on the 'playing-game stage', which means that we could have a demo fairly soon :rolleyes:

Very nice video there!

and finally we got to see what the flashlights looked like.. (very nice (4:42))

---[edit]---

I have a question about FLIR, in real life does it see through glass? because in the video at 4:51 all I could see on the truck were two black windows...

---[edit 2]---

Maybe a copy of the beta could be given to the guys at the litespeedproductions channel and wikawoo? (sorry if I missed anyone out but these guys stand out to me the most for arma 2 videos) I'm sure they could make something very nice to get us even more exited before release :D The recent video was informative, but the camerawork and compilation could've been better.

Anyway I'm not bothered too much about this, the video served its purpose :cool:

Edited by SASrecon

BIS - do you realize the kind of awesome videos some machinima-making members of the community would make if they got their hands on the preview version of OA? At least, compared to what the press is pumping out... Seriously... :j:

Just wait for the demo, a lot of good videos will come out of that.

U can tell me about any new video? Am watch only official videos so far;/ am new on this page.

Maybe video Apache action or other?

Hello ;p

I have seen this video and I'm impressed, are there any other movies or just the (new)?

WooHoo! Nice vid, the mechanics of AI targeting and motion look good, responsive without looking Uber'lite (the part where the two national regulars are shot at from the rear), the graphics are breathtaking, the pan across Zargabad looks splendid! The vehicles and unit faces looked photoreal in most cases. The new features will be used to the point where some will piss their pants rather than break away and run for the bathroom. I thank the creators of the vid for making it, only complaint is half of it was the rear end of the beautiful Hind.

Slaveringly yours,

Scrub

The fps in that video is awful...

It was just massively slowed-down in parts, probably using setAccTime, and then either left as it was or sped up a bit to mask the FPS. That's probably why there was no in-game volume. ;)

That's because most of it was in slow-mo

Here's a list of bugs/glitches I noticed in the video

Upon watching this video again I noticed the following things:

• at 0:21 the MG's front-pockets are poking through the gun, the animation needs tinkering.
  • at 0:28 the guy at the back of the column's goggles suddenly turn orange when he gets in-range, whereas when he's further back the orange-goggle effects dissapear and you can see his eyes
  • from 0:37 in the Zargabad (or in the video 'Zardabag :D) there are still minor z-fighting issues; I'm aware that BIS are probably working on this in the ARMA 2 beta-patch process, but this is me just commenting on issues in the OA-beta handed to the media
  • at 0:58 the gunner's feet are sticking out of the blackhawk :p
  • at 3:33 a tank is trying to drive through a tank wreck (previously mentioned) and the gunner is completely ignoring the apache (Although I don't know if this was scripted into the mission and I coldn't tell if the gunner was dead or not). I doubt this will be fixed however, probably simply because it's a game-engine limitation, so the AI will ignore any wrecks and self-placed defences such as barriers in the editor..
  • 7:19 the AI is prone in the grass and it seems like it is just seeing through it as the grass is very tall in that scene. Hopefully there will be a feature to slightly raise yourself while prone in tall grass so encounters like this don't become totally unfair if you don't have flir^^
  • At 8:01 the Launcher (possible rpg) on the back of the AI looks like a huge bright lollipop stick..

Just my 2 cents on immersion-breaking features which remind you that you're playing a game on the rv engine :bounce3:

Just my 2 cents on immersion-breaking features which remind you that you're playing a game on the rv engine :bounce3:

To be honest, I want to be reminded that I'm playing a game. If I wanted reality I'd join the army. But I don't mean to sound like one of those trollfags who say that about simulators, I just don't want uber-realism nor an overly-arcady experience.

Well the fact you think it through a game or program?

I hope that the game will not have space requirements.

To be honest, I want to be reminded that I'm playing a game. If I wanted reality I'd join the army. But I don't mean to sound like one of those trollfags who say that about simulators, I just don't want uber-realism nor an overly-arcady experience.

Same here Brother, if it wasnt for the horrific disease know as Asthma I would've been long gone in the Armed Forces, in RL.

Arma 2 is fine how it is, any more realistic and I'll have to pull the trigger to the gun thats pointing at my head.

Just make the gameplay smoother, AI better, graphics better and performance better.

cool video. however, it does highlight the games need for better weapon recoils.

I have a question about FLIR, in real life does it see through glass?

For the most part no

You will see more variation in light on these windows due to the curve, remember the windows seen in the vehicle are flat. I'm not entirerly sure..around the start you can see through a few but most you cannot.

[*]at 3:33 a tank is trying to drive through a tank wreck (previously mentioned) and the gunner is completely ignoring the apache (Although I don't know if this was scripted into the mission and I coldn't tell if the gunner was dead or not). I doubt this will be fixed however, probably simply because it's a game-engine limitation, so the AI will ignore any wrecks and self-placed defences such as barriers in the editor..

Pretty sure this is a mission thing, if ArmA2 AI is under fire they don't stay turned out. In this video the guy either set the AI on the tanks to be turned out or set the Apache to setCaptive, or both.

If I wanted fun I'd go outside.

That's just...

I dunno what to say...

Sad? :(

So you're saying that they shouldn't fix issues like z-fighting and feet sticking out the bottom of the helicopter, because it would make it too real? :p

For the most part no
You will see more variation in light on these windows due to the curve, remember the windows seen in the vehicle are flat. I'm not entirerly sure..around the start you can see through a few but most you cannot.

Ahh I forgot about that video^^

Thanks for reminding me, it seems like car-windows are opaque in flir ;)

cool video. however, it does highlight the games need for better weapon recoils.

The handling of weapons alone is poor in arma 2, something I wish was already improved apon with Arma 2.

Like realistic recoil, weapon assembly and priming, reloading, and the muzzle flashes.

Always looks sythetic in Arma, when you shoot a weapon let alone when its time to reload.

From the video, Flash lights also seem like they still wont cast shadows, so im guessing the whole only 2 light sources (Sun and Moon) can cast dynamic shadows and theres still an 8 light source limit?

Also why post a video if your Frame rate is 5, remember that discussion we had awhile back, bad marketing. If they want to showcase the game on full settings at least have a computer that can display it at a watchable frame rate...

So you're saying that they shouldn't fix issues like z-fighting and feet sticking out the bottom of the helicopter, because it would make it too real? :p

No, I was responding to the fact he doesn't want to be reminded that he's playing a game. ;)

For the most part no

I don't think that depend on the wíndows curve, I also see some color change in video and I don't know what is it. But if glass is cold, then it's black in flir. It doesn't matter what is behind, only if you stick your hot face on glass, maybe then glass take heat from you and will emit infrared light. Glass is barrier for infrared light same like brick wall is barrier for visible light. That's how I understand it.

Edited by BoboCZ

No, I was responding to the fact he doesn't want to be reminded that he's playing a game. ;)

I was actually referring to the complexity of the rv engine :D But along with the fact that ARMA2 is a military simulator, I enjoy being drawn so-into the game that I feel like I am as close to war as I'd like to get :)