Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2obt9.jpg

Anyone else noticed this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajikistan

you people can't deny that looks ALOT like Takistan. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid the Takmyr people would have to disagree with you on that one. They have a long rich history of their own. ;)

First settlements date back to 5th Century B.C. When the valleys of the Burnaja and Svetlaya rivers were inhabited by Skyth tribes and nomads, who later formed the Takmyr and Karzeg nations. The center of modern Chernarus had been founded in the delta of the Burnaya River and on the coast, divided from the Zagorie region which was under the supremacy of a Moscow Principate by the Black Mountains ridge.

http://www.arma2.com/chernarus_en.html

Gamespots review of OA recently released is what a real review is >>>> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/armaiioperationarrowhead/review.html

Congrats BIS for winning all those nice emblems.

+More than your moneys worth

+Variety

+Unique

+Proficient Graphics

+Outstanding visual design/art

+Outstanding gameplay

+Sucks you in

I concur!

Edited by Flash Thunder
Outstanding > Good

Some servers feature crazy original scenarios with unclear objectives, some are role-playing servers where you are apparently just supposed to explore the level and will be kicked if you kill someone, and some still are cooperative matches populated by uncooperative people too busy scurrying about the map without any discernible purpose to bother communicating with you.

I also concur with that. :rolleyes:

just finished OA campaign, had fun with it - all in all a little short maybe - but it's all worth it for the smiles you get by the epilogue ;)

have to shut my mouth now before it comes to ban because of spoiling ... ;) people, you have to watch the epilogue, if you haven't already !

I played the whole campaign and yes a little short, but it does what it needs I guess.

Only problem for me is for the entire duration of the mission 7 I was getting 20 fps tops and averaging about 14fps in most places .... makes my pc feel real old.

it does what it needs I guess

well said, and that's ok ... you practice with the new weapons, FLIR , UAV etc for your own ... after that experience you can switch with that know-how to multiplayer or find out what you want to setup your own missions by editor with.

for me as casual player (as family dad of 2 kids @Kindergarten-age there's few time for gaming of course) I like SP, because it doesn't make sense to tell the online partners "wait for me, there's someone who has to go to bed now ... will be back in 10-20 minutes" ;) ... of course you get your kicks out of MP more than out of SP because of all the team-playing, communication, coop engaging, defending and so on ... but I get my share out of SP, too, and it's ok

Because the concept, I mean the whole concept that BIS shows with their products is so attracting if you like games that are somehow challenging the mind and kind of special & unique - so are these - and ... the whole work of community, how BIS works together with their community, that's something I don't want to miss, despite of my age of 39 years, despite of having just little time for it.

The show must go on and I hope it will.

MAN I GOTTA get this game, i just saw the weapons preview on gamespot. It looks very nice. Technically it does what my ofpr does right now but i wonder if it has anything new in terms of movement and interaction and mission editing. if there are any advances there i might buy it next month.

Does anybody else think the game makers were a little lazy when it comes to some aspects?

A little more pollish would have made things great. With flashpoint which i played for years , the tanks had differant firing sounds not just one universal boom noise whatever the calibre. In OFP a T80 and T72 had differant firing sounds, with a little more effort the warzone would sound more diverse.

I hope you can pollish some things like this in a patch, since sounds really do make the battle come alive

I think the attention to detail is already outstanding for a game of this scope... I wouldn't call them lazy at all. But with so much inside, you can always find something no as good as the rest.

I think the attention to detail is already outstanding for a game of this scope... I wouldn't call them lazy at all. But with so much inside, you can always find something no as good as the rest.

I dont know how BIS does it honestly imagine if they had about 25 more developers/artists and 100 million dollar budget. :eek:

I buyed the Arrowhead on Steam since i can't find the box version and i needed to pay a second time for Arma 2 to be able to play merged version, first thanks for your excellent core update, i'm happy about some stuff added (that I asked for on forum suggestion http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1350651#post1350651 & ) like :

- Locking Sound when targeting a unit with AA or AT (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1036217#post1036217 + http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1035796#post1035796)

- The Thermal Scope (IR Black & White, still IR Color Missing and Electromagnetic Scope, heartbeat detector [Raven Shield Athena Sword], movement detector Google [splinter Cell Multi])

- The Drone

- The Tank Radar & Some info about hull, etc, but still no warning alarm (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1019600#post1019600)

- And some other (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1031639#post1031639)

- Lot Better than Arma & OFP...

But I don't like the Standalone idea, i think that they should make an normal addons, that update ancient files & units of Arma 2 to use new tech (flare, chaff, thermal)...

The maps are great and very nice but not enough adversory & mission on them, the Campaign is short...

The new unit like M1126 Stryker I.C.V M2HB & MK19 (Infantry Carrier Vehicle), M2A2 and other existed in Arma 1 or OFP-R but not in Two (why no MIG-29 or MI-28 ??? http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1016716#post1016716)...

Other variant are new so thanks but please be more precise on nomenclature (like in Arma 1)...

- M1128 Stryker M.G.S (Mobile Gun System)

- M1129 Stryker M.C (Mortar Carrier )

- M1130 Stryker C.V (Command Vehicle)

- M1133 Stryker M.E.V (Medical Evacuation Vehicle)

- M1134 Stryker A.T.G.M (Anti-Tank Guided Missile Vehicle)

- GAZ-3937 Vodnik

- M998 HMMWV Desert

- M998 HMMWV Urban

- M1116 HMMWV Urban G.P.K (Gunner Protection Kit)

- M1043 HMMWV Urban M240

- M1043 HMMWV Urban M2

- M1043 HMMWV Urban MK19

- M1121 HMMWV Urban TOW

- M1097 HMMWV Urban Avenger

- M1043 HMMWV Desert MK19

- M1097 HMMWV Desert Avenger

- M1097 HMMWV Desert S.O.V

- M1116 HMMWV Desert G.P.K (Gunner Protection Kit)

- M1117 HMMWV Desert C.R.O.W.S (Common Remotely Operated Weapon System)

- M1121 HMMWV Desert TOW

Still no computer interface with Sat / Map View like, Project IGI or Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher, to be able to target with Arty Unit from far the map for soldier or to assign target for Plane & Chopper before bombarding (CBU/GBU). Also the Arty Unit are not used well on campaign, just one shoot is allowed (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1030831#post1030831)...

My dream would be that they create an engine that allow to play Arma 1 et OFP Resistance Campaign & Mession in Arma 2, using new design of the unit & Tech... Using an automatic intelligent CPP decoder recoder and renamer... And what I espect for Arma 3 or next Arma 2 Addons, to have all unit from OFP Red Hammer Resistance, Arma 1 and Arma 2... I means Arma 3should just be an very updated version of OFP, Arma 1 & 2, contening all ancient content (updated map, unit, campaign) + new tech... In fact all new game shall have ancient mission (like splinter cell, hitman, rainbow six, ghost recon). When you buy last version you have ancient content updated in to them, like that the game have more fun...

With ameliored Arsenal View to be able to look at unit in static view directly without need to check the scene first. And has i asked before a P3D able to use multiple texture system (desert, night, urban, blue, forest, desert, snow, ocean), chosed automaticaly using MAP type in the CPP. I notified that in Arma 2 Arrowhead each unit (Tank, plane, chopper) have camouflage variant :

- Urban Camo (Armed forces of the Russian Federation, USMC),

- Forest Camo (Chernarussian Defence Forces / F.D.T)

- Green Camo (NAPA : Guerrila)

- Jungle Camo (Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star : Insurgency)

- Desert Camo (Takistan, US)

- White Camo (U.N.O)

The Commanding View (del .) should be avaible even when alone in team (also the menu bug of map using commanding view is still there since a mentioned before)...

Thanks for having corrected the bug I mentioned : "Weapon changement in vehicle" showing name like 1-1-1, now the game show name of real weapon, thanks BIS. But Still the AC & AA unit showed in editor are badly nammed the should show AC (RPG-7 or Javelin), to know theyr equipment (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78752)...

We still need a better Editor, that allow to choose weapons, gadget & ammo for a unit in a list with 3D view of object (tweakable weapon would be nice scope, bipod, flash, laser, etc).

Also i don't like the animation of climbing ladder (need to be automatic) and the soldier should pass the object without need to pouch "V".

Also the First Person View, is not fast enough (in Zagabad map), so the fire fight are less action than other FPS (in the small room like the hostage place in last mission)... In fact the Angle Vision of First Person View Animation need improvement, i mean the room look small because of angle of vision of First Person View.

Still no MFD for plane & Chopper, and no AA & AT view for gunner, and A.A or A.T radar for chopper...

I suggest you use 12 Groups using F1 to F12, and for subunit command use MAJ+F1 to F6 for the 12 unit... So you select Commander unit with F1 to F12, and then to command an subunit with MAJ+F1toF6, most unit don't have more than 6 unit (Gunner, commander, reloader, driver...) like that you can have 12 Groups with 12 Units or 6 units.

I arma 1 the name of unit where more precise and in arma 2 the name are simple, so please add complete name like M1036 HMMWV, M998 HMMWV, M1126 Stryker, M1134 Stryker, M113A1 M113A3, etc, please please (exemple Stryker ICV is M1126 Stryker I.C.V (Infantry Carrier Vehicle).

Thanks a lot for this core update... Hope you add more stuff on next addons or in Arma 3

Edited by Gazmen

I dont know how BIS does it honestly imagine if they had about 25 more developers/artists and 100 million dollar budget. :eek:

It'd probably be a much worse game.

Money like that means they need to make a return on that investment.

Since this is a game that the average idiot won't give a chance their budget matches the product very well.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/17/how-the-world%E2%80%99s-most-realistic-military-game-gets-made/

We know very little about the people that make ArmA 2, gaming’s most sophisticated military simulator that also lets you play as a goat. It’s made by Bohemia Interactive. They’re Czech, they’ve been making games for a decade, and we assume they’re all hardened war heroes that brush their teeth with bayonets and sleep on a pile of claymore mines…right?

Marek-Spanel-and-Ivan-Buchta-590x391.jpg

A "classic war game" at the Bohemia office. Spanel, left. ArmA 2 lead designer Ivan Buchta, right.

is there no windows server for arrowhead?

is there no windows server for arrowhead?

there is, available in the retail patch but i recommend to use the one from public beta patch

After strugglin with Steam for 2 and a half days to download it I have to say: I´m amazed. Again.

Thanks BIS!

Just fired the Editor to play with some of the new toys, and then went a couple of hours. Tutorials + some of the first campaign mission, more hours. Really enjoyed it all. Performace its OK, but could be better (know you guys are working on that).The voices (and its system) are OK aswell I´m in love with the Czech forces, they are stunning.

What I dislike:

Some sounds, like the M14, FAL, A10.

Some of the new M4 lacks the chamber animation.

I don´t liked the Steam depency.

The A2 support. The fact that OA support A2 is something despite (OA beign A2 expansion....), but its kind of funny have an Apache under US with FLIR,stepped zoom, new sights and the same chopper under USMC without these. Now A2 units are so outdated that there is no more fun to play with them.

There is an Official word on this "issue"?

PS:

The choppers now can "roll" in the ground (like the planes)? Or I´m dreaming?

Crash landings are easier to survive.

What I dislike:

I don´t liked the Steam depency.

Quick, d/l the beta patch, and you can then scratch one issue off your list.

Question before I buy it.

Hows the mp? For someone who just wants to have a nice coop or a deathmatch etc. Like starting the game, going to multiplayer and joining a server is it still crappy like A2 or is it better?

If you want proper teamwork on coop your usually gonna have to go on a closed server.

Marek-Spanel-and-Ivan-Buchta-590x391.jpg

This pic is so epic....:D

Edited by Placebo

Why did Maruk let go of his hair? He was a good-looking fella.

Why did Maruk let go of his hair? He was a good-looking fella.

Middle age hair problem?

;)

Now I must run and go hide.