Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Problem is it would ravage that whole multiplayer 'fair' thing..example.

Franze's OFP apache had, LOAL, LOBL, dynamic arming, armored canopy, veery extended zoom, variety in weapons, ability to survive most crashes, 2 engines (meaning you take one down it's not going down but will be limping).

It could hover down in the tree canopy and ground forms since PNVS literally gave you a veiw of the nose, the body as a whole was far more armored than the default apache, and it had a display map for the pilot in both A and D so there was no fear of the dreaded "M crashing"

It wasn't deemed quite 'fair' so a simplified version was made for mods such as FFUR to be used in multiplayer, even if BIS were to do the same thing it would be deemed as unfair and adjusted accordingly.

Who said war was supposed to be fair? If anything the aerial vehicles in ArmA 2 are underclassed. They can barely take any fire, FFARs do little to no damage on armor, and handling is iffy.

I agree fully, war is not fair and I for one love my hyper advanced killing machine BUT multiplayer and war aren't quite the same things, in such cases the idea of a machine that can handle with precision and respond to the snap of a finger is only fun for the pilot and not the poor SOB getting his bottom handed to him over and over and over. But then again I suppose I don't have to worry about that..

By the way, FFAR are designed for infantry and soft targets such as cars and trucks, armor is for the missiles.

You guys are just a bunch of fanboys and haters I love Codemasters still

DR even though flawed by almost every aspect was a good game that lasted me a few hours even though I waited about 4 years to play it.....

OA should have more animations but not seperate ones for each weapon as theres way too many weapons to model in arma 2. Like an animation for bolt action mechanisms, Belt fed ammo mainly Statics, revolver reload animation, and definetly some seperate launcher animations.

I dont see the "this doesnt warrant the effort" so leaving the weapons with no animations at all will appease to the greater consumer? At least by doing a few seperate animations for a weapon type would give the game a more developed look.

The way I reload my launcher makes me shudder, the way I dont even move a finger to reload a static weapon is silly.

I wont hold my breathe this will probably be a mod, oh look a mod finally added some basic reload animations ZOMG! :j:

DR even though flawed by almost every aspect was a good game that lasted me a few hours even though I waited about 4 years to play it.....

Yeesh, what is it? A good game or a bad game? I can't tell. :butbut:

Let's drop the DR discussion. We've had our fun. :p

Yeesh, what is it? A good game or a bad game? I can't tell. :butbut:

Let's drop the DR discussion. We've had our fun. :p

He probably means an enjoyable game.

@Flash Thunder: I'd like complex reload animations too but I think people here mean they're not a priority as other gameplay-changing features. Besides, you said it yourself, there's tons of weapons in ArmA2 and only a handul in DR (with variants).

But they could at least make some animations for each general variety of gun. Or even just an animation for bolt action weapons

I wonder if people realize the amount of work would have to go in to do an animation for each and every weapon they've made. Far too much work for what is simply, still, an expansion.

But they could at least make some animations for each general variety of gun. Or even just an animation for bolt action weapons

This is what im trying to convey.

At least a few new animations IE

Sniper puts hand on Bolt, pulls bolt back maybe this would require the player to click R again in between rounds to simulate this (this would be a new cool mechanic to snipers) Kind of like in Bad company

and I think these would add alot more difficult choices to a situation if they added weapon assembly animations (like in DR) but are interuptable the player would have to assemble these heavy weapons and not just pull them out of his arse.

They dont all need to be modeled with assembly but I think SMAW and Javelin could use some assembly and then you could carry this to the carriable statics (like what ACE2 has accomplished with MG's) and soon to come mortars. :)

Animators are the first people that are done during development of a game ive heard this from a few Lead Designers from Gearbox, Bioware other big game developers.

It adds new mechanics and balance to the game so I think its worth the effort i dont want this just for the eye candy as some might think.

@Zipper5 do you get what im trying to convey now?

5 snipers could use the same animation like what every gun does now, except their would be a small differance that being the operator pulling the bolt back.

From reading the OA FAQ it seems alot of these things are not worth BIS effort...

So if thats the case is making your own reload animation mods even possible? I would've assumed there would be one out by now if so.

Edited by Flash Thunder

I agree.

If you were under fire and had to use a SMAW to kill an armored vehicle, bunker, etc. Your squad would have to cover you as you assemble it, and would add some more teamwork in multiplayer.

But its a little late to add it in OA..

Last time this was discussed, I think someone concluded that something with the free-view unique to the BI Games made it harder to make proper reload animations.

Edited by sparks50

i totally agree with the bolt-action reload animation. isn't it about time this was implemented?

also, why is it so difficult to display the pistol in the holster when it's not selected and in use? i remember that one South Africa war mod for ArmA (forgot its name) had it, for a shoulder holster no less.

i generally find it hard to complain about little things like these considering how deep and detailed ArmA 2 really is, though. this is criticism on a high level, so i'd advise BIS not to loose any sleep over it.

Edited by Fred DM

hellfire missiles are not wire guided they are laser guided, and longbow hellfires being radar guided..TOW's act by fly by wire, straight and follow your path.. hellfire missiles do nothing of the sort, you lase the target in some way, fire the missile, the missile arcs up and smashes into it's target from above.

Like SEALVI said, I know that (and perfectly well).

What I mean is that from a gunner perspective the basic aiming and fire operation/procedure is very, very similar between both missiles type (wire-guided like the TOW or Laser-Guided like the Hellfire), which is:

1- With a targeting camera/sight aim the crosshair at the target

2- Fire the missile

3- Keep the crosshair aimed at the target until the missile hits the target.

In this regard both missiles works basically same way, the diference is that one (TOW) receives it's commands from a wire connected to the launching vehicle (Helicopter, ground vehicle, etc...) and the other (Hellfire) follows a laser spot which is aimed by the gunner (thru a crosshair on his targetting camera).

So in order to keep things realistic but at the same time "simplified" the Hellfire should work like or similar to the TOW (for example) and not by the "TAB key"/"fire-and-forget" thing like we currently have for hellfires in ArmA2. While not "perfect" I would be much happier if the Hellfires worked in ArmA exactly like the TOWs currently do (in ArmA2), than having the current "system" for the hellfires - And this way, we could simulate the self laser designation by simply keeping the gunner crosshair aimed to whatever we want to hit/destroy.

NOTE: The Hellfire that I'm talking about is the Laser-guided variant (AGM-144K) and NOT the Radar Guided one (AGM-144L or Longbow-Hellfire)! I'm assuming that the Hellfire that BIS want to model is the Laser-guided variant (and the new "UAV thing" kinda proves my point).

BLA BLA 12Y OLD YOUTUBE SPEACH.

Question 1: Do you realize OA is a freaking EXPANSION??

Question 2: If you do realize OA is an EXPANSION, do you know what Expansion means?

Question 3: Do you know how animations work in BIS engines?

Question 4: Why don't you, or anyone else so into reload animations, put your hands on it, and create some animations? Or pay someone to do it for you? You make it sound sooo simple, why don't you go ahead and do something ELSE with your free time then spamming those forums?

Question 5: Could you, in the future, spare some of us of your wisdom ?

I like Flamebaiting

Reported for flamebaiting. im simply asking why cant they do that?

Im not demanding them in anyway.

oh and block me if you cant help but to flamebait everyone of my posts its simply inmature.

and I've actually spoken to the Gearbox Employees before, so my source isnt from some youtube video cute assumption though.

Imho, in-game addon management >>>>>> weapon animations.

And I read that they consider in-game addon management, while saying no to weapon animation. All good for me :)

Reported for flamebaiting. im simply asking why cant they do that?

Im not demanding them in anyway.

whining != asking in the first place

oh and block me if you cant help but to flamebait everyone of my posts its simply inmature.

Have i?

and I've actually spoken to the Gearbox Employees before, so my source isnt from some youtube video cute assumption though.

Does gearbox uses BI engine?

I am asking again: do YOU know how animations work. In any game? in BIS games?

AFAIK, Making animations without a studio and the weird suit with all those weird thingys strapped on it, would be a task of epic proportions. Every single tiny movement would have to be written in a text editor, instead of captioned(with that weird suit, what's the name?). And each single movement would be a monstrous wall of text.

I dont think anyone would want to make animations in such a complex way, for such a tiny feature. So if BIS dont want to make animations, we'll have to live with it:shine:

AFAIK, Making animations without a studio and the weird suit with all those weird thingys strapped on it, would be a task of epic proportions. Every single tiny movement would have to be written in a text editor, instead of captioned(with that weird suit, what's the name?). And each single movement would be a monstrous wall of text.

I dont think anyone would want to make animations in such a complex way, for such a tiny feature. So if BIS dont want to make animations, we'll have to live with it:shine:

Please don't talk about things you know nothing about. The vast majority of modeling programs have a very complex suite of animation tools. Most animations in video games are not done with a "weird suit with all those weird thingys".

Please don't talk about things you know nothing about. The vast majority of modeling programs have a very complex suite of animation tools. Most animations in video games are not done with a "weird suit with all those weird thingys".

Aight, mouth shut then. Disregard my previous post.

Well boys sorry to interupt, it really seemed like that discussion was going somewhere:j:

Well my fellow Aussie's. Looks like we're oredering OA online. EB, negative. GAME, "Whats OA?" Great.

The best i can find is this and it sounds so reliable.

Quote: Order now and as soon it is available we will process and ship.

Oh well. To Sprocket!

Well boys sorry to interupt, it really seemed like that discussion was going somewhere:j:

Well my fellow Aussie's. Looks like we're oredering OA online. EB, negative. GAME, "Whats OA?" Great.

The best i can find is this and it sounds so reliable.

Quote: Order now and as soon it is available we will process and ship.

Oh well. To Sprocket!

eh ill just do what i did with Arma 2... buy 2 copies....one from sprocket and then a retail version when EB gets them in

I have a feeling it'll be if.

My EB dude had just been to their big convention in QLD and still knew nothing of it.

Any word of pre oreder goodies? He asks, expecting the answer no

Edited by Grub

I wonder if people realize the amount of work would have to go in to do an animation for each and every weapon they've made. Far too much work for what is simply, still, an expansion.

All the AK's are hold the same way, surely changing that one wouldnt be too much.

Oh my, is it...

Could it be...?

No, it's not possible...

It can't be possible...

It's... It's...

It's the last surviving DR fan!

*Dies of shock*

... :rolleyes:

OFDR isn't bad game, and have better engine than ARMAII.

I don't know, why you speak that OFDR is bad game?

I like games like ARMA II, but I like games like COD, and OFDR is like the COD!