Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

My laptop runs pretty ok on 1024x768, most (non-cpu critical) settings on normal. All between 18-30 fps is good enough for me.

And someone whined about chernarus being a bad design choice? Chernarus looks way more alive than takistan from the vids, and is the best island done by BIS except for Everon:P

But all teh kool kids want desert warfare nowadays:P

Specs:

Acer Aspire 8920

Intel Core 2 duo 2,5ghz

4gb RAM

Nvidia 9650M GS 512mb RAM

Vista 32bit

And someone whined about chernarus being a bad design choice? Chernarus looks way more alive than takistan from the vids, and is the best island done by BIS except for Everon:P

Um No

Its a poor design choice because trees are huge fps killers in all 3D games, the hardware is still not up to par with rendering so many polygons combine that with the amount of trees (80000Billion) and the amount of detail that BIS puts into them to make them look photo real and you got a problem. Also it seems RV3 streaming system is a problem (being fixed with patches) and their LOD handling....

Thanks for the cute assumption though. :j:

Edited by Flash Thunder

Flash Thunder

Please take your discussion about low performance in that sticky low performance thread in the troubleshooting forum.

This thread here is about Operation Arrowhead and it is already cluttered enough with all kind of spam, there is really no need to clutter it even more.

I really like Chernarus. I really have no problem running it besides in Chernogorsk where it may get down to 20-25 FPS.

It's a great looking map, but I honestly would prefer Desert alot more, that's why I'm REALLY looking forward to Takistan. Plus I'm getting tired of the whole Russia vs US thing. We're practically allies. There would never be a war between Russia and the US.

I know the campaign was focused on the Insurgents, but whatever. I love Middle Eastern/Southern Asian themed maps and it means better FPS, so all good for me. :D

@Flash: 1080x1024, with everything on high, except for shadows, and (it's slipped my mind currently) whatever the effect is that causes blur. My VD is normally around 2,000-4,000. I run at an almost constant 20fps, with my top being 30fps. Maybe it's because i became a legalized citizen of Sahrani last year. Who knows... :cool:

@Enad: I'm looking forward to it for pretty much the same reasons. Also, because I'm hoping with the major Taki city, my fps doesn't plummet to 3/2/1/0 upon entering it. It certainly looks badass, and they say they have improved performance, but we must wait and see...

Personally I want to see how the AI react to the enterable buildings etc.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Yeah same. I really want to get shot at by Takiban on balconies and rooftops! :D

Right now I play at 2048X1152, and I run ArmA 2 almost maxed. Most very high settings, Objects and Shadows on High. AA low, terrain normal. 133% 3D res. But before OA comes out, I'm probably buying 2 5850's then later on in the summer an i7 setup so I can run OA truly maxed out and really see how beautiful ArmA 2 is maxed out with playable FPS. :D

Seems the size of Chenarus is the major culprit.I run Utes at constant 60fps.Its so much memory taken up just for Chenarus's geometry.Are the OA maps smaller?

Can you imagine the performance drop some people would have if someone ported Sahrani over to ArmA 2 with its updated textures and terrain?

Apologies up if this has already been discussed but does anyone know if there will be any improvements to crossfire and sli setups?

sli setups?

I don't doubt it. BI has promised major improvements. Only time will tell.

Can you imagine the performance drop some people would have if someone ported Sahrani over to ArmA 2 with its updated textures and terrain?

Sahrani has already been ported over and runs exceptionally well in ArmA 2

^ That's where the "with updated textures and terrain" part of his sentence comes into place.....

Seems the size of Chenarus is the major culprit.I run Utes at constant 60fps.Its so much memory taken up just for Chenarus's geometry.Are the OA maps smaller?

Chernarus had over 1 million HIGH POLY super detailed objects...

Takistan... 600,000..

Sahrani, i think 300,000 (can anyone confirm?)

I just have one question:

Will i still be able to blow up a tank with a pistol, or will the game actually have a realistic penetration system like MoW?

I just have one question:

Will i still be able to blow up a tank with a pistol, or will the game actually have a realistic penetration system like MoW?

What you're talking is, excuse me, crap.

You will never ever destroy a manned tank in ArmA2 with your pistol. Before you are able to change your mag, the crew turns the turret and starts shooting in your direction.

And before you come up with empty tanks: I just emptied 8 M9 Mags on an empty T-72 and then jumped in to check the result. It was not even scratched.

So please, go away with comments like that. If you have nothing better to do in the game than shooting hundreds of Pistol bullets on a tank then I feel sorry for you.

And last but not least there's still the option to play the game seriously. I highly doubt that in reality you would attack a tank with your lame 9mm bullets...

And this is an expansion, not a completely new game. So maybe it would be a good idea to adjust your expectations a bit.

And no, I don't know anything about if there is a modified penetration model or not.

I've blown up a tank in ArmA 1 with a machinegun...

It is a valid point Wolle, while its unlikely you could ever take out a tank with a pistol. A heavy AFV like an M1 should be bulletproof. Yet hit the tank with enough small arms fire it will blow up.

Okay fair enough if you play the game properly and don't dick about in the editor thats fine, but there is an issue from a multiplayer point of view. If your tank has already had a bit of a beating, its highly annoying to watch you go up in smoke after a guy opens up on you with a PKM.

he has that title for a reason :p

I've never had small arms fire damage my tank. I cannot confirm this.....

maybe a usermade tank.. but...

Place enough AI on Utes and it will be just as bad as Charnarus with AI...cos I can run Cherna great without AI.

So the AI is to blame.

he has that title for a reason :p

I've never had small arms fire damage my tank. I cannot confirm this.....

maybe a usermade tank.. but...

Oh it takes a while if you just shoot at it, but if you have already taken a few hits from an RPG or other AT weapons thats when it can be a problem.

Didnt they make a quick fix in 1.05 to stop tanks from being destroyed by machineguns? I cannot be bothered to test really.

[59668] Improved: Hitpoint can pass only a part of the hit to the total damage (passthrough setting no longer ignored)

I've blown up a tank in ArmA 1 with a machinegun...

Yes, and last i checked we're talking about ArmA2. In which BI recently introduced a new config entry specifically to fix the whole "you can blow a tank up with a rifle/pistol/machinegun" issue.

Jesus, people need to get up to speed before they bitch and moan... :j:

What you're talking is, excuse me, crap.

You will never ever destroy a manned tank in ArmA2 with your pistol. Before you are able to change your mag, the crew turns the turret and starts shooting in your direction.

And before you come up with empty tanks: I just emptied 8 M9 Mags on an empty T-72 and then jumped in to check the result. It was not even scratched.

So please, go away with comments like that. If you have nothing better to do in the game than shooting hundreds of Pistol bullets on a tank then I feel sorry for you.

And last but not least there's still the option to play the game seriously. I highly doubt that in reality you would attack a tank with your lame 9mm bullets...

And this is an expansion, not a completely new game. So maybe it would be a good idea to adjust your expectations a bit.

And no, I don't know anything about if there is a modified penetration model or not.

Definately not meaning to jump on your toes here.

BUT <--( i see an infraction coming) a while back cant remember what version number it was at the time, You could take a few stanag mags to the main barrel of the m1 or t-72 and it would do some serious damage. It is/was only a bug.

I personally can not wait for OA to come out. I have very recently turned my hand to mission making (Im like a pre-beta) and cant wait to get to grips with the editor in OA. Because its set in a desert it offers a completely different scope for mission making and executing.

After seeing that l59/39 whatever it is (deffinately not an F-5 As some suggested) I hope there is a courchevel style runway somewhere so we can do the james bond mission from the opening scene of tomorrow never dies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUydvYeLYds <-- Opening scene.

Good Job BIS really looking forward to this game!