Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

There's much fuss about that f*cking bright HDR, even in A2 vanilla. I wonder, did anyone of you actually turn down brightness slider under options all the way down? It works then, you actually can look at white color then ;)

Damn, video 3 was cut-off just before the AI entered the building... At the moment it looks to me like groups can't enter a building to reach a certain position, a bit like it was in ARMA1 IIRC (but single units could easily get to a specific position in a building).

However some of the new features are just mindblowing!

[edit] the running-about in the buildings in videoI was so very fluid :yay:

Edited by SASrecon

No word if the AI in release version does care about close explosions?

Would be good to see an video that shows some AI features eg:

+ AI knows howto use different ammunition types like Sabot, HEAT, HE or HE-Frag on different targets/objects

+ AI have somekind of target priorities to attack highest threats first eg attacking anti-aircraft vehicles/statics or enemy aircraft before launching attack on tanks, fortification etc.

No word if the AI in release version does care about close explosions?

Would be good to see an video that shows some AI features eg:

+ AI knows howto use different ammunition types like Sabot, HEAT, HE or HE-Frag on different targets/objects

+ AI have somekind of target priorities to attack highest threats first eg attacking anti-aircraft vehicles/statics or enemy aircraft before launching attack on tanks, fortification etc.

...and maybe a feature where the AI runs for cover on being next to an explosion (actual cover, not just going prone).

Although as far as I can tell there has been an improvement in the 'death from above' mission where the missile hits the bdrm; in the beta, the AI stood motionless whereas in the recent video they run about wildly trying to pinpoint any threat.

They already have, try running around as an Officer with a SMAW, you´ll get some serious fire

Damn, why am I at work now! Have to wait all day to watch these new vids!

But great news that the press visits are creating so much content for us to stare at! :)

EDIT: Yeah I thought it was allready there in OFP, if you kill more than anyone else in your group,

all ironsights will point in your direction. Thought Suma actually mentioned that a couple of times in the past.

Damn, why am I at work now! Have to wait all day to watch these new vids!

But great news that the press visits are creating so much content for us to stare at! :)

Same here. Reading these last few posts has been pure torture. I'm salivating already. :D

Btw. is it actually confirmed that there is a newer build in these latest videos?

Did I understand it correctly that you can go through every campaign mission for every main playable character (infantryman,crewman,pilot,delta force operator), meaning you can go through the campaing FOUR TIMES, each time from a different perspective? :eek:

No I think you missunderstood that...

No I think you missunderstood that...

Feel free to correct me then...

Tonci87 thats not what I said or described. ;)

Actual you will clearly see how the AI doesnt priortise targets as threat if you put them in planes/helicopters vs vehicle group with AA support. The same thing happen in all other combat/battle scenarios.

Btw. is it actually confirmed that there is a newer build in these latest videos?

The ULB was called UAV (in the command menu) in the earlier videos of a preview version, so even though its not officially confirmed the video made with this preview version is that of a newer build I would say :)

Did I understand it correctly that you can go through every campaign mission for every main playable character (infantryman,crewman,pilot,delta force operator), meaning you can go through the campaing FOUR TIMES, each time from a different perspective?

I got that same impression for the Multiplayer Coop part at least.

Here's my YouTube versions of those videos:

no41P49kgaw

ellAj7nJzoI

VslmIKpJ5XM

wsM3AQsHQ38

Edited by Zipper5

guys this game has all the potential to become something epical :bounce3:

I'd be almost 100% certain that there will be just the one campaign and that playing through it will mean you play each mission as one of the 4 protagonists. Example: 2 missions as Helicopter Pilot followed by a few missions as Delta Force, or some such.

I don't see them making 4 separate campaigns, as that's essentially what they'd have to do to make the campaign playable through by all 4 protagonists.

Anyhow, those videos have me totally psyched. This is going to be eff star star star awesome... :D

I'd be almost 100% certain that there will be just the one campaign and that playing through it will mean you play each mission as one of the 4 protagonists. Example: 2 missions as Helicopter Pilot followed by a few missions as Delta Force, or some such.

I don't see them making 4 separate campaigns, as that's essentially what they'd have to do to make the campaign playable through by all 4 protagonists.

Those are the exact words Jan said:

... up to 4 player can join a multiplayer game and play for any of these roles I've mentioned, each mission is designed to be able to be played for every role I've mentioned.

I would love to know more details about this.

Are all protagonists on the battlefield during the mission?

If so, what if there aren't enough players or it's playd as SP?

Are the ones who are not controlled by a player controlled by AI?

Does the AI proceed to complete the objective by itself?

What if it got itself killed during the process while the player/s are somewhere else, advancing successfully?

Is the "Team Switch" option available?

In the community FAQ

Will it be possible to play the campaign in multiplayer?

Of course. The four main characters are all present and can be played for in all campaign scenarios. The nature of cooperation will be different from ARMA 2, as the players aren't part of the same groups. The scenarios are designed in a way which allows players to support each other's advancement in the battle, and some story-related parts are simplified for the multiplayer, so that group of players can fully focus on the cooperative action.

Whats the big problem? The way I see it is this:

Airborne missions: 4 players part of one airborne team playable

Helo pilot: 2 Apaches, 2 pilots 2 gunners

Tank Commander: One tank and its crew (Commander, Gunner, loader and driver)

Delta Force: 4 players as one Delta force squad.

I really wish they will do something about that ugly z-fighting in thermal-imaging mode. I know it's a common problem for hundreds of games, but it should be fixable somehow.

Whats the big problem? The way I see it is this:

Airborne missions: 4 players part of one airborne team playable

Helo pilot: 2 Apaches, 2 pilots 2 gunners

Tank Commander: One tank and its crew (Commander, Gunner, loader and driver)

Delta Force: 4 players as one Delta force squad.

That's not the way its going to be though. Its going to be:

1x Infantry (Leader Most likely)

1x Delta (Leader Most likely)

1x Pilot (Leader Most likely)

1x Tank Commander (Leader Most likely)

That's the way that I am taking it. Although I wouldn't mind having your way and the way I am understanding it. I just think the way I am explaining it is the right way. He said that the levels are designed for all 4 at the same time meaning that the Delta support the infantry with the tanks supporting the delta and the helicopter supporting the tanks or something similar.

That's the way that I am taking it. Although I wouldn't mind having your way and the way I am understanding it. I just think the way I am explaining it is the right way. He said that the levels are designed for all 4 at the same time meaning that the Delta support the infantry with the tanks supporting the delta and the helicopter supporting the tanks or something similar.

I think this is right. It says on the website that the campaign takes place in 24 hours, and in that mine mission, it says theres a big battle going on behind the mountain. So it's possible that all four characters will be playable in co-op for all of the 7 missions, just doing different things, while in Single-Player you only get to play as one of these per mission, whichever the story focuses on the most in that mission.

In mission waypoints, NATO symbology, FLIR, backpacks, enterable (and rather spacious) buildings, laser rangefinders, who knows what else there may be. I just hope that the FLIR isn't limited to the UAV's and rifle optics, it would be nice to see it on the longbow, abrams and bradley's.

Music from video 4 was rather nice..kept the Arma feel but with a different theatre.

Edited by NodUnit

Which means the Trial by Fire mission will likely be just a standalone scenario, unless there's a hidden delta,infantry and tank element which hasn't been mentioned yet :D