Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Will A2OA take advantage of 6 cores?

Will A2OA take advantage of 6 cores?

afaik ARMA2 already does (not as well as it could, but it uses 1 core for AI and the other cores for other processes..)

afaik ARMA2 already does (not as well as it could, but it uses 1 core for AI and the other cores for other processes..)

Pretty sure it's only quad-core supported.

ARMA2 has multicore support. Dual and up. 1 for AI and 1 for the rest. However quad runs it better because it can run system processes etc cores above the 2 the game uses. The dual has to share that with ARMA2. Not sure how it works exactlly but its multicore support and not only quad.

ARMA2 has multicore support. Dual and up. 1 for AI and 1 for the rest. However quad runs it better because it can run system processes etc cores above the 2 the game uses. The dual has to share that with ARMA2. Not sure how it works exactlly but its multicore support and not only quad.

Multicore is >1 core, which can be 2, 3 or as many threads as the developer decided? :p

Correct me if I'm simplifying it too much but doesn't the AS maps we make for our models do the same as SSAO? Just not dynamically?

US Army?

Awesome. The screenshots look a bit like Afghanistan

Operation Arrowhead is suppost to be in Afghanistan but in the game the warzone is "Kaukasus" or what ever called.

Afghan-ish country called Takistan.

Multicore is >1 core, which can be 2, 3 or as many threads as the developer decided? :p

Yep. Exactlly what i said (dual and up). :)

honzikpen;1628868']Kaukasus

Kaukasus? :confused:

If I understand this image from the dev blog correctly then ARMA 2 already forks up to at least 8 threads. That means there is the potential to employ 8 CPU cores, although it all comes down to how evenly the operating system spreads the load between them.

Yep. Exactlly what i said (dual and up). :)

What i ment was that quad cores will not just benefit because of the background processes, but because some threads may run on them as well.

Correct me if I'm simplifying it too much but doesn't the AS maps we make for our models do the same as SSAO? Just not dynamically?

I haven't seen or know how AS maps work, but the big advantage SSAO would have is you don't need those texture maps loaded and thus less rap + faster loading/streaming.

I haven't seen or know how AS maps work, but the big advantage SSAO would have is you don't need those texture maps loaded and thus less rap + faster loading/streaming.

AS maps are a single 8bit channel so they are no big deal. SSAO's advantage is that it's dynamic so it gives a better effect on animated characters, for instance.

Edited by Max Power

Im hoping that BIS has made the LOD system alot better aswell, buildings LODS and tree lods primarily is it just me or does it seem that there's only like 3 LODS for buildings even the complex ones???

Very noticable change, and having my object detail set to very high like it always is doesnt help much.

Hoping for way higher resolution terrain texture when flying, the chernarus land texture was butt ugly, hoping for some higher detail etc, landtex is nice but still looks muddy even with my resolution at 1680x1050 125% 3d res

Make sure you made the windows and doors big enough BIS!

The houses in A2 are a real pain to navigate and use as a post during a firefight.

and if you have time can you please add particle effects to the editor as placeable and scalable objects (im a noob) havent figured it out yet

Hoping for way higher resolution terrain texture when flying, the chernarus land texture was butt ugly, hoping for some higher detail etc, landtex is nice but still looks muddy even with my resolution at 1680x1050 125% 3d res

The better idea for land textures from air is to use a large low resolution texture, it's effective, take for example the mountains of crysis, that is how they did it.

If you haven't seen the land tex mod yet then I highly recommend it, looks far more realistic and smooth. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6051

don't know if this has been addressed already. but from what it looks like in this screenshot, it looks like we won't have UAV camera tracking in OA. i could be wrong though.

2e0ti5j.jpg

don't know if this has been addressed already. but from what it looks like in this screenshot, it looks like we won't have UAV camera tracking in OA. i could be wrong though.

It is possible that there isn't camera tracking with the AH-6X, but there might still be with the Predator. Eitherway I'm hoping they actually work in multiplayer this time around.

HNNNNNNNNNG!!

Part 2 of the gameplay mechanics video made me cream my khakis TWICE!

:cc: :worship:

More updated build of the engine showing off the old mission "Death from above" with commentary from Jan Prazak PR manager of BIS.

In press thread btw. :yay:

Some details from part 2:

Terrain textures look very detailed.

Stars look SOOO much better when using Night vision goggles now, they dont look like large blobs of light.

AI reacted after the missiles hit, which they didnt in the first video of "death from above" shown a few weeks ago

Very good LOD, see no issues.

HDR looks like it was toned down awesome tweak alone!

Lighting looks improved, SSAO is present and you can see those distant mountains, some cool bunkers it appears can be seen while the ULB is traveling to the objective.

Hopefully when BIS has more time they can rid the RV engine of the "Z-fighting" bug (aka all that flickering on the buildings/trees)

Awesome work BIS, I cannot wait to buy OA, and play with all these epic features.

:yay:

Edited by Flash Thunder

Nice!

I think you can see the effects of SSAO on the flare-dropping apache :D

Nice!

I think you can see the effects of SSAO on the flare-dropping apache :D

Yes, SSAO is very nice, makes the ground textures look very crisp, gives you extra depth on top of the parallax.

Make sure you watch all 3 parts of the series,

Zargabad looks F**king EPIC, ive watched each of the videos multiple times I feel like a little kid on the night of Christmas eve.

Must get this game NOW!

PS: If anyone can, could you please download and upload these videos to youtube? Gametrailers is nice and all but its full of Advertisements plus all the stupid comments from all the Console kiddies. ;)

PS: If anyone can, could you please download and upload these videos to youtube? Gametrailers is nice and all but its full of Advertisements plus all the stupid comments from all the Console kiddies. ;)

Doing so now. ;)