Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

NV has always worked just fine for me, I expect it'll be about the same in OA. I definitely wouldn't base my opinions on a set of WIP screenys.

Maybe i'm in the minority as being someone who is really looking forward to the new maps, FLIR, equipment, backpacks etc etc etc

Nope, i am super happy for having the possibility to buy what i will expect to be yet another super product from Bohemia... New maps, units and new editor possibilities.. ;)

You've found some new pics while they're on your own webpage server?

I put it on my own, because the creator didn't put it on his website, i don't know why. :) Is this problem?

You know what, try putting a land vehicle on the game world with no waypoints whatsoever. You know what happens? It doesn't move at all. Doesn't even chase after enemies! Without waypoints the game doesn't know what to do, other than engage spotted enemies without following them.

What you're looking for is a randomized waypoint system, kind of like the UPS script, but if you think the AI is gonna act on it's own without any sort of linearity to the mission, that's pretty delusional.

Are you trying to make things sound deliberately complicated? Randomized waypoint system, kind of like the UPS script? How about staying on the same waypoint but programming the AI not to move within a certain proximity of known enemies? How about stopping to engage and kill all known enemies then moving on, rather then just driving at them.

Expecting that is delusional? Don’t talk rubbish.

BIS have barley touched the vehicle AI since OFP, that’s why they’re so crap, its as simple as that.

Edited by ricbar89

Expecting that is delusional? Don’t talk rubbish.

That isn't what I was responding to, I was responding to your question of how to make dynamic missions if you have to use waypoints.

EDIT: Just realized this is the OA thread, this is going a bit off-topic :P.

That isn't what I was responding to, I was responding to your question of how to make dynamic missions if you have to use waypoints.

EDIT: Just realized this is the OA thread, this is going a bit off-topic :P.

My point about the waypoints came as a result of the vehicle AI not acting properly on the current waypoints.

Fix the current AI and the problem goes away, no need for any multiple waypoint complexity.

And yes this it fairly OT now.

I just hope BIS decide to actually do something with the vehicle AI after all these years, similar to what they did with infantry, it needs it badly.

I found some new pics of OA Preview, but the NV is still very bad.

Edit: the 1st and 2nd picture was same

Those preview pics have post-processing switched off.

I know that many of us dislike the post-processing, but NV is one area where it creates an excellent effect, and I can't think of any game that has better NV simulation than A2. They even improved the stars in amongst the many patches we've had, and ACE's adjustable NV brightness fixes any problems with it being too dark/dodgy HDR. Are you suggesting that the player should be able to see perfectly in the dark areas of the screen when there's a powerful light-source somewhere else on screen? The human eye just doesn't work like that, and NVG doesn't either.

I'd post an image in comparison, but a still image doesn't capture the effect of the simulated electronic 'noise' in the low-light areas.

Off-topic: Who wouldn't spend $1095.00 on a FLIR system for their car?

http://revision3.com/systm/flir/

Edited by Richey79

I know that many of us dislike the post-processing, but NV is one area where it creates an excellent effect, and I can't think of any game that has better NV simulation than A2. They even improved the stars in amongst the many patches we've had, and ACE's adjustable NV brightness fixes any problems with it being too dark/dodgy HDR.

I'd post an image in comparison, but a still image doesn't capture the effect of the simulated electronic 'noise' in the low-light areas.

I run with post-processing at very high, it adds some very good looking effects to the games, including the nightvision "noise".

I know that many of us dislike the post-processing, but NV is one area where it creates an excellent effect, and I can't think of any game that has better NV simulation than A2. They even improved the stars in amongst the many patches we've had, and ACE's adjustable NV brightness fixes any problems with it being too dark/dodgy HDR.

I raged due to that A2 in fact has a very simplistic and not well made Night Vision system...

Seems the "light cone" from the light pole is gone in 3rd and 4th pictures :yay:

Edited by Placebo

There was also a demo for ArmA 2, where did you go wrong :confused:

Thinking the campaign would be like that one scenario :(

Why NV is bad ? looks ok . Not much diff in rl

Thinking the campaign would be like that one scenario :(

You only play these games for their campaigns?

You only play these games for their campaigns?

Yes dude, they say Operation Arrowhead is going to be like OFP CWC

Hope to god it is :p

Personally, I play the campaign first, then use the editor for brief skirmishes. I rarely use multiplayer for reasons previously stated.

4-arma2_home.jpg

I prefer having hard-copies of every game I own, and that would be borderline embarrassing to show off to friends. It looks like a comical parody of COD, not a realistic military simulator.

I prefer having hard-copies of every game I own, and that would be borderline embarrassing to show off to friends. It looks like a comical parody of COD, not a realistic military simulator.

So your showing off your covers to your friends hehe, well each to his own :p

I do not intend to show boxes to friends, but do not intend to hide boxes from visitors either!

Comon get real, how often do you have visitors who looks through your covers to find something to laugh about :j:

It's a cover ffs, not a ugly girlfriend!

Hi all, I've only just heard about Operation Arrowhead. I've only had ArmA II for about a week and this expansion looks cool. I found a video on YouTube which was only added today so I don't know if you have all seen it yet. Here's the video.

It's actually an older video (only by a few weeks), and if I recall the audio is out of sync in the one you just linked.

Comon get real, how often do you have visitors who looks through your covers to find something to laugh about :j:

It's a cover ffs, not a ugly girlfriend!

If the cover really is going to look like that i will hide it, also, i will be emberrased when i buy it. :p

If the cover really is going to look like that i will hide it, also, i will be emberrased when i buy it. :p

I understand, after all it is a very important thing in life...

I will not even touch it and trying to find out what this was about when I would see this in a store or on a gameside...but that's probably because it's so usa'ish :rolleyes:

Edited by ShadowY