Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Im fine with DLCs if its really just FREE download Content, like the Apache and Eagle Wing with 1.05

But if the start to sell something just like EA and Activision and all the other Idiots do, I will be really disappointed

Improving/fixing the game we baught is one thing, but to say that they should create brand new content for many hours of work and give it to us for free sounds a bit off tbh. However i dont know how BIS will do this. We will see when the time comes.

Well it depends on the content and the price. I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for some new tanks. Also, how would BIS prevent sharing of payed files? There's no copy-protection for PBO files.

OFP already had some new content in patches called "Upgrades". Am I right?

But if the start to sell something just like EA and Activision and all the other Idiots do, I will be really disappointed

Opposite point of view here, in fact it was the thing I was most pleased to read. It's nice knowing there's more on the horizon, even the best mods don't blend perfectly with the official/original content. Of course it will be pay-for, it will be of a very high quality (or else, as has been said, why would people buy what modders make for free) and after spending $1000 on the hardware to run these games (only), I'm not about to quibble over $20 to leverage still better use from that investment. And of course it's their livelihood.

Opposite point of view here, in fact it was the thing I was most pleased to read. It's nice knowing there's more on the horizon, even the best mods don't blend perfectly with the official/original content.

Still a big gripe with this would be compatibility, imagine you're part of a multiplayer community and one of the administrators forces the new unit pack on the server. Then everyone would have to buy the DLC pack even if they didn't want it just so they can play with friends. This will either alienate server admins from allowing paid DLC content or just fragment an already fragile multiplayer community.

Hmm... DLC is cool but depends content...

I would pay it, if there will be some cool features from VBS2 or even new features. Coz features from VBS2 wont come free, otherwise why else it costs 1000$

But some new tanks or cars... depends again...

We will see sooner or later :)

I can't remember but think I paid £20 for Arma2, probably £25 for Arma and will pay £20 (or whatever) for OA, so £20-25 for each (more for the OFP series). I look at these costs compared to what I spend for one evening out drinking - probably about the same for one night of drinking without a curry. For 3-4 hours of entertainment with mates. I dread to think how many hours I have spent in the maps, but the overall software cost is minimal. Hardware, thats a different story and not just Arma related. And I pay double that every month for satellite TV which only my kids get to watch (leaving me free to play ;-) ).

So, while I would not (and do not) pay for DLC for any other game I'm with Defunkt in being prepared to pay for BIS content as they are not a charity and need to fund development which benefits everybody, and I know they listen to the people who buy and play the games, and have a record of updates and patching second to none.

Edit - good point Hamm.

Oh woe is me? Its not like everyone plays together anyway. Its not like its any different to the 24095723568245623 addons which already make joining servers a pain in the ass.

This whole "if they release DLC then the sky will fall" mentality is sickening. As a community we've been spoilt for a decade with free stuff. Maybe some people have gotten too used to that....

You bitches need to realise just how GOOD you've got it...

Still a big gripe with this would be compatibility, imagine you're part of a multiplayer community and one of the administrators forces the new unit pack on the server. Then everyone would have to buy the DLC pack even if they didn't want it just so they can play with friends. This will either alienate server admins from allowing paid DLC content or just fragment an already fragile multiplayer community.

Right... not sure, should I file this under Hold BI Responsible For All Server Admin Choices or maybe Don't Give Them Too Much Content, They Can't Be Trusted With It? Possibly You Can Have Too Much Of A Good Thing would be more appropriate?

Oh woe is me? Its not like everyone plays together anyway. Its not like its any different to the 24095723568245623 addons which already make joining servers a pain in the ass.

Free addons, that can be downloaded from the server easily through Yoma's AddonSync? Comparing that with paid DLC is stupid since not everyone can get it/wants it. I'm not saying the DLC is a bad thing, I was merely contemplating it's effect on the multi-player side of ArmA 2.

And if you haven't guessed yet I'm not talking about public Domination servers.

Right... not sure, should I file this under Hold BI Responsible For All Server Admin Choices or maybe Don't Give Them Too Much Content, They Can't Be Trusted With It? Possibly You Can Have Too Much Of A Good Thing would be more appropriate?

Again, where did I say they shouldn't release DLC? I just pointed out that it wouldn't work out very well on the multi-player side of things.

Edited by Hamm

I will happily pay BI the money it's worth for DLC. :>

eJay, what about new video&)

Nothing new:(

I will happily pay BI the money it's worth for DLC. :>

Just look at how much content they stump up with in the core games, hundreds of units and vehicles, I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't turn out to be excellent value for money.

Wow I'm bit baffled that BIS only hired on person to do all the PR stuff, travel around, shake hands and present their hard work. Isnt there really no one at BIS who is able to maintain-update at least their official OA webpage? Perhaps Placebo or any other moderator can do this - guess they just wait to be asked for. ;)

Nothing new:(

Maybe you should also try to contact with BIS not only IDEA... ;)

Maybe you should also try to contact with BIS not only IDEA... ;)

I contacted with Barrack Obama and he said "You should ask for permission IDEA, because he's main, european publisher. By the way, OA will kick ass!" so you know...

My brother and I were just commenting on OA FAQ, it's simply brilliant.

Keep it up, BIS. :)

Can't wait to preorder it.

BIS obviously has a lot more stuff in their vault they made for VBS2 but which they can't release for free unless they want to kill their own military business + it needs to be reworked to fit the new engine (shaders, textures...).

I guess a British mini campaign a la EW (a bit longer would be better) + British troops come to mind, given what they did with JCOVE Lite...

I would die for a complete French pack, but that's very unlikely since there are no French models available for VBS2. Thankfully Hexagon is here...

I'm ok to pay up to 10/15 euros for quality work. However, I would need a complete and coherent bundle with units and missions.

On the other hand, I would hate to have to buy tons of individual stuff separately, even if they are cheaper. This would be the death of MP. If there are only a handfull of significant DLC, it's easy to keep the pace. If not, it's as messy as the current situation, except that you have to pay !

Its not that I completely disagree with pay to play DLCs, the Reason why I would not buy it is because I never buy something with my credit card over the Internet.

Relax fellas, I highly doubt BIS is going to be releasing DLC that costs.

Great to know about the DLC. I was already worried about the continuation of the milsim games.

More content to play untill the announcement of Arma 3 =P

A late comment about the US cover art: shut up. Nothing wrong with putting the flag on the cover. Jeez. Thank you.

pay dlc would require some kind of content control system and i really don't see bis making any major changes like that

Well I'm against DLC you pay for, I'll rather buy an addon for 30€ that brings much more than paying 10 bucks for a few units and missions..

I don't think this would work with Arma considering the huge amount of free contents weekly made by the community. Besides this would produce even more mess than currently with all the diversity of addons used on servers.

I don't even know how they would do that through Steam ? BIS website ? Even RH and QG were simple Pbo working the exact same way as every community made free addon "note that I paid for those even through I knew". More and more publishers are making their game unmoddable to avoid competition with community made stuff and sell their DLC "Activision, Ubisoft, The Creative Assembly and so on...", BIS can't do that since modding is what make their games so good.

I'm sure they're aware of that, and the DLC they're talking of in this FAQ is probably the exact same we're used with BIS.

Edited by dunedain