Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I think Arma is first and foremost a game, before being a serious sim (That niche is filled by VBS), so features like that I actually find pretty welcome. Plus, knowing BIS, they will add an option to turn this thing off in case people don´t want to have it.

So worrying about it seems a little pointless, no offense meant.

Cheers

Insta

Just like they added the option to turn off that idiotic "space cheat" and the space menu.. oh wait.. they didnt!

What? That button has many uses in SP, even if it may be a bit of a cheat in MP. I wouldn't want them to remove it.

If you looked around you'd find out it's very easy to remove/punish.

Interesting to note the direction dial in the vehicle works on Arcs:

1) Outer dial gives the arcs for Contact: half right, half left, half right rear, half left rear.

2) Inner dial gives the arcs for Contact: Front, Left, Right, Rear.

It looks to me like the full lines indicate forwards, left, right, backwards along the front/rear axis of the vehicle, with forward being at the top. To me, both the inner and outer give the front/left/right/rear arcs, while the middle provides half-arcs. I'm not sure which of the 3 circles you consider to be the "inner" and "outer" dials. :)

I'm basing this on the theory that the narrow gray cone pointing at the red dot indicates the direction the turret is facing, with the green area being the commander's/players FOV.

P.S. Why is 2 saying "CLEAR" when he's looking at an enemy vehicle?

P.S. Why is 2 saying "CLEAR" when he's looking at an enemy vehicle?

Cause its WIP? :D

My standard answer to everything looking weird today.

My point was that BIS didnt enable the removal of that thing. It had to be done by modders and even then its not 100%. And since I play MP only, every single addon you have eliminates a certain slice of servers to play on until you are down to only a handfull if you would like to play the game with all the mods you like.

I agree it would be nice if it was a ON/OFF feature. I do like it in some situations in SP, but for MP it should be optional.

Maybe it will be. Well see.

Hmmm, there is a disturbing lack of M1A2 TUSK images. I hope this isnt gone, because it would be especially useful in the big urban map.

Hmmm, there is a disturbing lack of M1A2 TUSK images. I hope this isnt gone, because it would be especially useful in the big urban map.

Of course not

ARMA2-Arrowhead-ingame-shot-01.jpg

Po relativnÄ› snadném vyÄiÅ¡tÄ›ní základny pÅ™iÅ¡el na Å™adu další úkol. Z jedné z budov totiž vybÄ›hl civilista, který tvrdil, že právÄ› na příkaz vojáků podminoval celý komplex. JeÅ¡tÄ› mi staÄil do rukou vrazit deaktivaÄní kód a posléze se ztratil kdesi v údolí. Řekl jsem si, že deaktivovat systém systém bude hraÄka, ale to jsem jeÅ¡tÄ› netuÅ¡il, že na Äíselník detonátoru není tvoÅ™en klasickými arabskými Äíslicemi, ale nÄ›jakou podivnou hatmatilkou.

=>

After a rather easy base clean-up a next task came up. A civilian rushed out from one of the buildings and claimed that he was ordered by the enemy soldiers to rig the whole complex to explode. He gave me a deactivation code just before he disappeared in a valley. I thought that deactivating the bomb would be an easy task. However, at that time I didn't yet know that the detonator's display doesn't show standard Arabic numerals, but some weird gibberish.

:D

http://www.eurogamer.cz/articles/arma-2-operace-arrowhead-dojmy

Someone knows an online academy to learn gibberish language? :p

=>

...After a rather easy base clean-up a next task came up. A civilian rushed out from one of the buildings and claimed that he was ordered by the enemy soldiers to rig the whole complex to explode. He gave me a deactivation code just before he disappeared in a valley. I thought that deactivating the bomb would be an easy task. However, at that time I didn't yet know that the detonator's display doesn't show standard Arabic numerals, but some weird gibberish. ...

http://www.eurogamer.cz/articles/arma-2-operace-arrowhead-dojmy

Hi all

Of course that would be a perfect way of getting the silly soldier to blow himself up eg the controller is a dummy and he types in a single digit, or it is on a timer and it blows up the package in his hands.

A sort of variation on the suicide bomb but with a too dumb soldier as the trigger rather than the usual mental incompetents with weird afterlife sex fantasies that terrorists handlers fool into blowing them selves up. Darwin's Evolution works in mysterious ways its wonders to perform.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

It looks all great.

By the way, is it just me, or do trees in the distance glow?

glowj.png

Ohh noes, its the alpha bug again :o :)

Lool, he was put up the roof you silly

So true, yet so sad.

Remember that moving train from one of ArmA 2´s preview videos?

If it seems too good to be true, be relieved, because it isn´t.

Now im little sad... and this guy?

=D

Would be a waste if the have building like THIS and the AI not using it =(

Anyway, Im still excited. ArmA just looks "right" in desert enviroments.

Hi all

The AI will move in to buildings and up ladders or stairs in ArmA.

Having had them walk up behind me on several ocasions now I tend to not allow them near a building I am in. That said I would prefer they entered and cleared buildings and used them for cover more often.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

"GO, I'M COVERING!"

"SOLID COPY!"

Notwithstanding the fact this is all WIP , I thought I mention some things on the graphical side.

• For my taste there is still too much contrast between shadowed areas and bright ones. If HDR makes that even worse again by not adapting to dark areas at all , how is one to enjoy your beautiful high-poly high-texture models
  • I am not an texture/material artist , but a lot of the stuff to me seems to have too much of a plastic-shiny material-definition. Its also all very clean
  • Love the new trees
  • Don't go for pseudo-realism with the GUI if you don't have to. The GUI has never been a strong point of this game, but Arma and Arma2 did not necessarily improve on that. I hope in the time you have left you optimize the entire thing for useability and don't break even more stuff.

Keep up the good work. One of this days this will be the best renderer for military objects there is.

From eurogamer (played the preview version of OA)

AI

They did react on the incoming fire by lying down, for example, however hiding behind some obstacles or even inside buildings didn't appeal to them
HW
With Core i5 750, Radeon 4890, 4 GB of RAM and Windows 7 64-bit I was struggling to get past 30-40 frames per second at medium details and parts where my frame rate could be counted on the fingers of one hand weren't that uncommon either.
Leads to this conclusion
The developers have to be on a lookout for artificial intelligence tweaks, HW requirements and the few small quirks I have met with in the preview version.
Full translation by Deadfast: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1611364&postcount=189

From eurogamer (played the preview version of OA)

AI

HW

Leads to this conclusion

Full translation by Deadfast: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1611364&postcount=189

That´s a little bit disturbing. How are they going to do combat in these beautiful, dense townships if the AI still isn´t able to use Buildings to their advantage, and properly exploit cover?

My worries are also all over the AI..

If my Squad is still acting like a bunch of stoned afghan trainees, i dont need awesome maps and new units.

The point is, you cant sell AI Fixes and Upgrades. Well you can, but i dont think anybody outside of this forums would buy it. This is why we get Arrowhead. Im not flaming BI, def. not. But i dont know if i will buy OA, if there arent major Improvements to the AI and gamemechanics like indoor fights.

At least there was 1 surprising good news, we got the spotting clock back, which should have been never touched.

I'm happy to see BI geting so much love and the arma modding community as a hole finely getting the respect the deserve from the rest of the gaming world looking forward to OA