Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

It's simple. Find a gimmick(destruction) and build an abortion of an action game around it. And then let us use knives to open doors and BOOM! Million dollar budget.

I lol'd.

This formula seems to work:

Make game in Modern warfare scenario

Guns that shoot bullets at the speed of light

Fast drop in and drop out gameplay

????

PROFIT!!!!

Guys - Operation Arrowhead thread this remember? Dont go even more bananas now or a mod will come whip your butts.

OnTopic: I hope OA will have a LOT of hiding places on and around buildings. I've gotten very "colored" by VBS2 the last 2 days and its citites... But what was missing from ARMA2 is any flat rooftops or balconies so UPS scripts never worked that well with spawning enemy snipers for example on top of them (or in balconies). Looks like we get more of that in OA from the screenshots at least. :)

EDIT: Ok it seems the VBS2 US Army Lite is NOT for civilians. I read it from military.com that it was, but that the EULA was not changed. Just wanted to say that. VBS2 removed. JCOVE installing...

Edited by Alex72

Lets see if OA will have some new and usefull editor/scripting features too for example:

- ambush module

- medevac module

- CAS/CAP module

- weather module with selectable working seasonal effects (snow, heat haze, sand/rain storm and blizzard)

- (destroyable) buildings with working features eg AntiAirRadar with radar screens that show contacts/own aircraft

Of course AI needs dev attention too. Imho if the player is playing as a leader of an AI team/group he should be fully responsible for his orders.

AI should inform the player about detection but still follow the given orders. No need to undermine the leaders authority until its clear that more than 50% of the team are in highest risk to get killed.

After testing VBS2 US Army Lite (yes anyone can use it - EULA was wrong) i really like the simple effects they have. [..]

I also liked* my Xbox360 pad rumbling while flying a helicopter. And they´ve got the button naming in control options way better ... simple things that make a difference. Now if BI picked up each´n every of those little issues, most of which have been demanded over & over again by the community throught all the years, and make it all better in OA we´d be in for a real treat :turn:

*uninstalled & deleted since a few days.

So what's with the NATO forces *Ahem, Or "Alliance"* in this game, they've got me a bit confused.

Are there multiple proper factions. Or just select units from each country?

What I mean is, in the Trailer, they showed a lot of US Army units obviously, but they also showed British Land rovers, German soldiers wearing headwraps, and there was also a screenshot of a UN BMP2, And a Czech MI-8. Does anyone know if these "factions" will come with their own infantry and such as well?.. It will be kind of confusing to have only a few vehicles/units for a faction, almost a tease. But its still kind of nice to have a variety.

I wonder if the Opfor side is just Insurgents, or if there is a semi-professional Takistani Military, like the ones they are -trying- to train in Afghanistan and Iraq. And if there is one. Who's side are they on?

but they also showed British Land rovers

Czech Landrovers, the Brits dont use AGS-17's or PKM's

UN BMP2

The Czechs use BMP's too, so it would be logical that it was a Czech BMP painted up in UN colours for the peace keeping effort?

It will be kind of confusing to have only a few vehicles/units for a faction

Not really? You've got Czech troops with a few vehicles and weapons, some German troops with weapons. Whats confusing about that?

Edited by DM

I didn't know about the Czech Landrover.

And I haven't seen Czech infantry yet. Unless you're talking about the vehicle crew

But I already knew the Czechs also used BMPs, being a former Soviet Satellite

Kind of a let down, there not being a UK faction, I'm quite surprised that with the amount of British people playing that there hasn't been a full fledged unit addon like that of the Polish or SLA mods, which add infantry, air, armor, etc. Apparentley Project reality is making all of that, but I dont know if they'll release the units seperate.

Thanks for the info though. I just wish they'd be more specific than "COMING SOON"

I didn't know about the Czech Landrover.

And I haven't seen Czech infantry yet. Unless you're talking about the vehicle crew

But I already knew the Czechs also used BMPs, being a former Soviet Satellite

Kind of a let down, there not being a UK faction, I'm quite surprised that with the amount of British people playing that there hasn't been a full fledged unit addon like that of the Polish or SLA mods, which add infantry, air, armor, etc. Apparentley Project reality is making all of that, but I dont know if they'll release the units seperate.

Thanks for the info though. I just wish they'd be more specific than "COMING SOON"

Czech infantry are in the trailer. They are in the landrover and also I think they show up right before the German KSK guys. You see them firing and moving forward at one point I think.

The exact type of the Landrover seen in the trailer is "Land Rover Defender 110 SOV" (SOV = Special Forces Vehicle) also called "Cowboy" used by Czech 601st Special Forces Group in Afghanistan in 2006. In 2008, it was replaced by newer type "SOV II" and the original SOV moved to 43rd Airborne Mechanised Battalion where was also replaced, I believe.

88458287.jpg

48221475.jpg

to everyone questioning the IR part of trailer ...

it's WIP and final product will be better ....

awesome pics

and hopefully we'll be getting another OA video tomorrow to complement the series (been a fortnight now :bounce3:

The first instalment in the series of ingame videos, introduces the factions in ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead, forthcoming standalone expansion pack to ARMA 2. This video introduces Alliance forces lead by the US Army which is sent to Takistan to quickly restore peace and prevent further civilian casualties in this unstable region.

Can't rely on it however, still remember the weekly vids from ARMA2 turning into bi-weekly videos :p

to everyone questioning the IR part of trailer ...

it's WIP and final product will be better ....

I didn't realise people where questioning the FLIR, it looked fine to me for the most part.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

awesome pics

and hopefully we'll be getting another OA video tomorrow to complement the series (been a fortnight now :bounce3:

Can't rely on it however, still remember the weekly vids from ARMA2 turning into bi-weekly videos :p

I'd welcome a new video for tomorrow by now lol. Or at least an update to the main page where they start revealing weapons and vehicles by class and such.

I didn't realise people where questioning the FLIR, it looked fine to me for the most part.

At least one person a few pages back remarked on certain supposed flaws in the FLIR, specifically a moving vehicle showing up cold, while the engine of a stationary vehicle appears hot.

Well seeing as there's a warm up time, one vehicle could of just started up and took off while the other one had been idling. Not looking for excuses or anything, just pointing out the likely reasons since all ground vehicles can pretty much just startup and go.

Edited by Steakslim

Well seeing as there's a warm up time, one vehicle could of just started up and took off while the other one had been idling. Not looking for excuses or anything, just pointing out the likely reasons since all ground vehicles can pretty much just startup and go.

Which is what I told the guy when he first posted that ;)

Or at least an update to the main page where they start revealing weapons and vehicles by class and such.

So far we have:

1. Humvees (4x*)
  2. Bradleys
  3. Strykers (6x)
  4. C-130
  5. AH-64
  6. Firescout
  7. MTVR
  8. Chinook
  9. Blackhawk
  10. 4x4
  11. Abrams (2x)
  12. MLRS
  13. MH-6
  14. Landrover
  15. BRDM ATGM
  16. T-55
  17. T-72
  18. BTR-60
  19. Jeep/Uaz type vehicle
  20. BMP
  21. Mi-17 or Mi-8
  22. Civilian Vehicles
    *4x = 4 variants that I have noticed etc.

EDIT: The variant numbers might be inaccurate. I can't tell if there are differences on some of the Abrams, Strykers, and Bradleys.

Edited by Jakerod

Which is what I told the guy when he first posted that ;)

I thought there was an echo in this thread lol.

Yeah very impressive number of new vehicles and weapons.

But my big question and alot of others is, will they be polished?

Bis's default models are evidence of quantity over quality, I think it should be the other way around.

All the weapons in OA should be as polished as possible with all the proper simulations, like for launchers back blast, causing certain states for the player like blindless/deafness, AI should function properly with the vehicles/weapons IE AI engaging infantry with AT weapons.

I would really like to just see more polish I wont be pissed if I only saw 5 weapons and 10 vehicles compared to whatever is in OA now.

As it seems OA is in its final days of development, I would really like to see BIS start doing more press releases, showing this game off to more people, giving us some screenshots, a features list, and some damn demos on them BIS super computers! :)

So if theres another expansion planned for Arma 2, I hope BIS focuses mainly on these Features:

Lighting engine in RV, adding differed lighting to the engine, would look really awesome with the combination of Tracer rounds, no more cone looking lighting, added reflection to glass etc

Volumetric clouds and FOG and more improvement to Particle effect systems, improved destruction, more debris, vapor trails on fixed wing aircraft, improved smoke dissipation and heat radiation(waves) reflecting from the terrain (IE desert)

When shooting something like an M107 you'll be surrounded with smoke and some small dirt debris would be kicked up, and you would see heat radiating from the barrel and smoke plumming out of the barrel.

64bit OS support

Operating systems are all going to be moving to 64bit in the near future, the sooner this is incorporated into RV engine platform the better.

Improved squad command interface and Multiplayer UI

MoCap hit reaction system like (Killzone 2), Getting shot in arma 2 like all games except a minor group give you nothing rewarding, shooting someone in Arma 2 for example in the leg should make them stumble. This can be done all with Motion capture and then rigging it to each skeleton. This would add alot more immersion and give the player more satisfaction and more indication of how much damage he/she has dealt in the conflict.

Since we have tons of content I would really just like to see BIS work on the polish, the extra over the top details and sell it as the next expansion.

God its going to be a great next 5 years at least with you guys!

Looking forward to OA's release and Carrier command!!! :D

Will vehicles still always explode when they're destroyed?

Possibly (In the Alliance trailer, the tank destroyed bursts into flames immediately if that gives you any hint). I won't expect too much from the expansion beyond what we've seen and heard already. Less room for disappointment. Besides once ACE scoots over to support OA (I'll assume they will) they'll bring their unexploding vehicles with them.