Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Updating the editor so noobs can use it just not gonna cut it. It does not matter how much rep they have with the community, it's with the amount of games you sale. A good campaign is the best selling point. I will not buy AO or make any more campaigns with out the inspiration from BI leading the way.

P.S. the truth is I know they will make a great campaign.

SEAL Team six 4 is coming pretty soon!!

It will be the best single player campaign to date. You will see:)

I really felt the arma2 campaign was like a cheesy b grade hollywood movie thrown on top of a awesome game engine, it was forgettable imho... sorry but this how i felt about all the releases,

If it wasnt for the editor the game would be in the trash one week after purchase, if i want story and atmosphere i play something like stalker, if i wanna play war i fire up the editor.

Id gladly pay the price for a updated noob friendly stand alone editor that lets me throw together my own scenarios reasonably easily... the editor is the game!:D

But yeah just dreaming :rolleyes:

Trailer was awesome, and its a part of a series, so hopefully will be seeing a new video next week.

Although I would like to see demos of the game by Jan and the team more than some trailers, need to see how the AI is in OA and the performance enhancements.

I wonder if BIS is planning more Arma 2 expansions since this one is pretty much in its final stages of production.

3D editor was planned for a release with an expansion right? I cannot wait to use the 3D editor!

I keep reading about a "new sound engine" for OA but can't find anywhere where BIS said this, any pointers to where you got that information?

New engine or not I do hope BIS fix/improve the "sounds cutting out" issue when a couple of sound sources becomes active...

/KC

I keep reading about a "new sound engine" for OA but can't find anywhere where BIS said this, any pointers to where you got that information?

At 0:45 ;)

Thank you SASrecon!

/KC

Looking at the trailer...I see the same disappointing explosion effects...I don't get this...all is quite well developed, but the physics and AI remains garbage. And then to consider one core is dedicated to the AI. Why aren't there improvements made. It is not that there is no interaction between the community and the developer.

Another example about details in the trailer...when the UAV image is on. You see a parked armoured car (enigne block white...rest no color as it is not hot) and the armoured car which passess by shows no heat signs at all. These little things destroy the illusion of reality. Don't get me started on the physic effects when the hellfire hits the armoured car...

BIS would do good by having a look how DICE manages to deliver top quality in the immersion factor.

To all fanboys, I want a "perfect" Arma II OA, not just a copy of all the mistakes we have seen in Arma 2. It is sad to see that there is soo much love for this franchise but soo little is done with big issues. AI and physics....

Maybe Arma 5 will deliver. As to the sounds...they sucked also in the trailer. My feeling is that this will just be another Arma 2, but with some addons, nice, but certainly not great! A true shame!

BIS would do good by having a look how DICE manages to deliver top quality in the immersion factor.

Sounds great, let me know how we go about securing this multi million $ developing budget that DICE gets? :yay:

Looking at the trailer...I see the same disappointing...

And reading these forums I see the same dissapointing posts :/

You see a parked armoured car (enigne block white...rest no color as it is not hot) and the armoured car which passess by shows no heat signs at all.

Ever consider that the BTR driving away was only just started up, but the one parked could have had the engine running for a while because it needed power on overwatch [Edit] or something similar[/Edit]?

These little things destroy the illusion of reality.

These little things destroy the illusion of being smart and well informed :j:

Edited by DM

Sounds great, let me know how we go about securing this multi million $ developing budget that DICE gets? :yay:

Well, that is not really the argument here, Placebo, many years these complaints have been going on. Creativity and technology allow for these changes.

The case is that BIS didn't put the effort in there to amend the product. There is really no excuse! Especially not budget, I think BIS should man up and just deliver. Else, BIS will always stay a second tier developer. And my guess is that that fact is not BIS business goal...

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Ever consider that the BTR driving away was only just started up, but the one parked could have had the engine running for a while because it needed power on overwatch [Edit] or something similar[/Edit]?

These little things destroy the illusion of being smart and well informed :j:

Why the F would you defend BIS? They need to fix the issues, especially when they release a new product. For now, it will just be an Arma 2 clone with all its bugs with some additional features...nice, but I want better than that! And I'm surely not the only one. And if BIS would preform, maybe they can crawl out of the second tier development stages.

Stop talking like a fanboy, grow up and let them deliver a good quality product instead of a semi decent bug ridden piece of software, which is just half done.

Edited by p75

Especially not budget, I think BIS should man up and just deliver.

Oh wow, seriously?

And my guess is that that fact is not BIS business goal...

Do you know ANYTHING about business?

"BIS should make things better, but not spend any money on it"

Wow, really... wow...

doublefacepalm.jpg

Protip: A large portion of DICE's multi-million dollar budget goes on QA, so that they can deliver such a polished product. QA is an EXPENSIVE process...

Oh wow, seriously?

Do you know ANYTHING about business?

"BIS should make things better, but not spend any money on it"

Wow, really... wow...

http://www.lolblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/doublefacepalm.jpg

Protip: A large portion of DICE's multi-million dollar budget goes on QA, so that they can deliver such a polished product. QA is an EXPENSIVE process...

Piss off, mate, pardon my language, it is not that they don't have money at all. It feels like they just want to cash in again and will leave the bugs for what they are, meaning, the same average product as Arma 2.

Ever heared of Indie developers, they produce high quality stuff on very low budgets. Besides that, BIS has known for years about these bugs, and they are still not fixed. There is no excuse, really!

Edited by raedor

In that point i´m not agree... but this is not the post for politics. Only i can say is there were a lot of forces (UN: Argentina, Brazil, Rusia, Pakistan,etc) before the arrive of US Troops, who helped (and continues helping) the Haiti´s people since 2004....and the intervention of US troops was completely unnecesary and that made that the haiti people get angry with them and reject them. One more time, they were trying to be "heroes" when nobody called them. Money, food, water, supplies had been more necessary than a aircraft carrier and 2000 soldiers.

Sorry for the OT

Regards

Piss off, mate, pardon my language, it is not that they don't have money at all. It feels like they just want to cash in again and will leave the bugs for what they are, meaning, the same average product as Arma 2.

Ever heared of Indie developers, they produce high quality stuff on very low budgets. Besides that, BIS has known for years about these bugs, and they are still not fixed. There is no excuse, really!

Yeah I make the mistake of thinking something useful will be posted (about OA) here too.

p75, do not quote images and mind your language.

To be honest, I agree to some little things that p75 says.

I want an expansion that is tested until there is no major bug left, and this before release, please!

I really am tired of such half finished games that certainly have potential to become the greatest of all games (like Arma 2 became now with 1.05) but which are released in such a bugged status that I wonder myself, "WHY the f*** didn't they wait 3 months more???!"

To make things clear: I'm not talking about that feature, about that heat source which wasn't on this driving vehicle, blabla... I'm talking only about the bugs.

The status that Arma 2 has now with patch 1.05 should have been the status when the game was released! That's my point of view!

And other than that look around in PC gaming community: At least here in Germany Arma 2 unfortunately has the status of a bugged game that shouldn't be touched. That is what people who don't know the potential of the game say, you can read it in almost every news comments about the game. And unfortunately it's the majority of PC gamers... :(

It's so sad that A2 doesn't have the same status than OFP had. But the times have changed. Even being bugged at release, OFP was a whole new gaming experience and I think that this was the advantage for the game (so that people overlooked the bugs).

So BI, please deliver a finished product... There are rumours that you released A2 quickly because of a certain competition. ;) Well, everyone knows the end of the story. :D So now please just take the time you need, there is no pressure from other games (in case there is something true on the rumours).

I'm 100% sure that many many of the sceptic people will turn their faces to Arma 2 if a finished O.A. comes out!

Edited by Undeceived

but which are released in such a bugged status that I wonder myself, "WHY the f*** didn't they wait 3 months more???!"

Because it wasn't their f****** decision!

more fluid movement. maybe a little slower run so not all Olympic runners in combat gear, but the dash sprint might be ok.

recoil better kickback on weapons .also sight affect when fired. see ace2 rpk for awesome bug/example.

ai works better together (beta patches haven't nailed this yet).

i agree with more accessible editor especially being able to set module parameters directly in editor.

I want an expansion that is tested until there is no major bug left, and this before release, please!

I really am tired of such half finished games that certainly have potential to become the greatest of all games (like Arma 2 became now with 1.05) but which are released in such a bugged status that I wonder myself, "WHY the f*** didn't they wait 3 months more???!"

To make things clear: I'm not talking about that feature, about that heat source which wasn't on this driving vehicle, blabla... I'm talking only about the bugs.

With such a vastly sized mil sim/fps you're bound to get some bugs; yes I agree, there were various gameplay breaking bugs which could've been fixed with a 'community beta-test stage', or at least officially calling it a beta stage (imo beta patches do just the same job)

But also bear in mind OA is an expansion moulded around ARMA2 so all the gameplay breaking bugs and hardware issues should be solved by release.

+1, they were really rushed by the publishers; hope they won't make the same mistake twice.

Edited by SASrecon

I LOVE arma2 even with it couple of issues, but hey you know OA will bring a heap of fixes, and after that there will be more.

I can understand that creating a 225km2 map that allows ai to, drive over 40 vehicals, run with over 40 weapons and fly over 20 aircraft over every inch intelligently, using the right tactics and terrain, with a 365 day 24 hour cycle with different weather settings that runs on cpu's not used by nasa is a task that IMO no game developer would be able to get perfect without years of time.

So i rest my case,

If you cant deal with the bugs dont play it, and dont moan about it chances are we ARE aware of the bugs and bohemia are proberly looking at it so stop ranting, it solves nothing.

I can understand that creating a 225km2 map that allows ai to, drive over 40 vehicals, run with over 40 weapons and fly over 20 aircraft over every inch intelligently, using the right tactics and terrain, with a 365 day 24 hour cycle with different weather settings that runs on cpu's not used by nasa is a task that IMO no game developer would be able to get perfect without years of time.

So i rest my case,

If you cant deal with the bugs dont play it, and dont moan about it chances are we ARE aware of the bugs and bohemia are proberly looking at it so stop ranting, it solves nothing.

Exactly!

Some people just can't understand however :j:

The way to secure a multi-million development budget is too late now

BIS should have learnt from their mistakes with Arma1, but no, they released their second product even worse than the first one, Arma2 was simply a failure, people who bought it, either got rid of it, or broke it out of frustration

DICE worked their a$$ off to produce an excellent product, and I am sure BIS does too, but I dont know, maybe they lack enough expertise!

Now try convincing people that OA will be better than the previous versions, you will be claiming a mountain

One last thing to mention, is that gamers love PvP multiplayer, which Arma lacks, or lets say, the Arma community just doesn't seem to be interested in, you're forced to join a clan and play at a certain time, mainly weekends

Arma will never make you enough money to move on, BIS has to invest from its own money, develop a whole new MilSim game, with a different name (Arma has a very bad reputation now) and YES that means starting from scratch, I dont care if they takes another 5 years to make the new one, they have no choice

But then again, we are not BIS's main customers, they dont relay on us to make money, so I doubt they will listen

...Arma2 was simply a failure, people who bought it, either got rid of it, or broke it out of frustration

Strange, I did neither.

I was actually having fun in multiplayer with friends instead.

ArmA 2 was a critically acclaimed, has a good reputation and had (imho)

much more sales than ArmA 1 so how can it be a failure?

Yes, you may be right. So in that case my "moaning" goes to the publishers, sorry. Altough I don't believe that BI had no word in these release date decisions... But ok.

And it was no moaning actually - I just expressed what I thought when I read the test results in game magazines here in Germany. It was a shock for me.

With such a vastly sized mil sim/fps you're bound to get some bugs; yes I agree, there were various gameplay breaking bugs which could've been fixed with a 'community beta-test stage', or at least officially calling it a beta stage (imo beta patches do just the same job)

But also bear in mind OA is an expansion moulded around ARMA2 so all the gameplay breaking bugs and hardware issues should be solved by release.

I thought that I had made clear that I'm not talking about minor bugs. ;) I surely can live with "some bugs". And no doubt that the community will fix a lot, they always did it. I was just talking about the response, the game gets from non Arma players, when the game is released half finished.

And, Steve, I'm not ranting or moaning, I just want to prevent a half finished release of the addon. ;) So take it easy, lad.

I'm really looking forward for the expansion and it's good to know that the bug fixing and further development will flow into Arma 2 (without OA) as well. Just hope that everyone involved has time enogh to finish the product. That's all.

@raizjames

Arma2 release wasn't that bad like Armed Assault was.

What do you know about BIS project management, time/release plan and contracts with publishers?

Do you read and watch what even bigger companies (with multi-million dev budget) have released in the past month? Nice... isnt it?

Seems that some (pvp-) players arent able to see the choices they have with Arma2. Kinda "we need someone who forces us to play together or we cant play and enjoy our gameplay style".

raizjames: lol dude. Your just confused. Dont speak out of your butt please. Cant even be arsed to name the flaws in your comment. Move on if this doesnt suit you. Simple.

P75: You see a parked armoured car (enigne block white...rest no color as it is not hot) and the armoured car which passess by shows no heat signs at all.

Its exactlly as DM told you. If you followed the development of OA you would have known it takes time to heat up a engine/barrel in OA, and the same goes for when it cools off. So no need to tell someone piss off because of stating how things really are.

Edited by Alex72