Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Hi folks,

Since creating subtitles for youtube videos is quite a time consuming job, I decided to point out the most interesting pieces of information from the presentation.. but be sure to check Deadfast's translations as well once they come out!

- basically all buildings are enterable and destroyable (by parts)

- heavy machine gun bullets can penetrate walls (building's walls)

- building destruction may cause local civilians not liking you (thus not willing to help you)

- civilians may help you if they like you (he says: "they'll get their kalashnikovs and help you in battle" :cool:)

- they carefully avoid displaying any religious symbols or any related stuff (architecture - yes, Allah Akbar! - no)

- he mentions the involvement of Czech Armed Forces and UN will most likely be minimal in the story (but available in the editor of course)

- another new feature: diplomacy (the ability to sign a cease fire or alliance), warfare with three sides

- a lot of time Ivan talks about certain goodies in game (billboards, in-game fake ads)

- i like his remark on the new thermal vision, commenting on it: "There will be a thermal vision.. but a real one! It won't be some kind of a proffesional fake, like creating vehicles and soldiers white and everything else grey..." (Guess what fake he was talking about :rolleyes:)

- vehicles and weapons (to be precise: their parts) will warm up according their use, dead bodies' heat signs will also fade over time

- the people from the US company giving age rating to games (ESRB) had problems with ArmA2 portraying Eastern Europe like "dirty, cold, dark, stinky and where people get wasted all the time". :D He also said that they didn't mind people fighting and killing each other but had problems with a billboard displaing a woman enjoying a cigarrete.

- mission designer can alter the ambient lighting, resulting in what he calls a "hollywood night" (or DR-like; PS: I'm not sure if you can do that already or if it's new)

- in the last part Ivan presents a bonus mission by Karel Mořický (aka Gaia); more info

- the presentation ends with a look on a cow's behind :p

I reserve a right for any spelling, grammar, typographical or translation errors ;)

Thanks Myshaak, all those features sound awesome, especially the more life like cities aka the fake ads and billboards. :D

BIS and their publishers should think about in-game ads though so they could get some extra revenue its been done in many games, extra money for BIS hard work!

BIS and their publishers should think about in-game ads though so they could get some extra revenue its been done in many games, extra money for BIS hard work!

How about you stop with your "suggestions"...

Well, if there are billboards in the towns anyway I'm sure it should be possible to find some companies that'd want to market products that'd be likely to find in Takistan. In-game commercials do not have to be intrusive. It's all in the implementation :)

Ugh, this one has been done to death too...

Vehicles are to the right scale, people are the right proportions, weapons are the right size, it is the field of view of trying to have a decent perhipheral vision which makes everything seem big/small.

Some days I'm sure you're bitching for the point of bitching... (and didnt you get banned for that once :j: )

Ohh no, now look at this, its him again teasing :rolleyes:

On Topic:

I have never read a word about the unti/vehicle scale before, furthermore this was a question to be answered, no "bitching"... Do i have to justify my simple questions to YOU (a no-one in my eyes) anyways?

You could have saved the last sentence you've written, but i know you now long enough DM, you simply can't stop to jibe/cavil towards other people, you do that countless times a week alone here in the Forums, you've done that for years now! - its very annoying.

Come down from your high horse, BAS times are over you're just a normal Forum-Member like anyone else... your not the Police nor the moderation...

What is wrong with you?

This attitude must by lying in your blood i guess, nevermind then :rolleyes:

According to the video, the CH-47, as well as proper bullet penetration will be included. Bring it on, Arrowhead!

I'm glad they introduced a large number of buildings that can be entered, and judging from the screenshots, many of them have multi-level designs to them, so shoot-outs from rooftops, windows, and doorways is an option. I think this would make for some great PvP matches, and Coop pending if the AI really understand how to use building interiors in OA.

Just a rumor but it better be true, I'm pissed finaly gpot my textures back with drivers but crashes alot now sometimes detects crash but sometimes still in processes but not in applications.

Just a rumor but it better be true, I'm pissed finaly gpot my textures back with drivers but crashes alot now sometimes detects crash but sometimes still in processes but not in applications.

What are you talking about?

Elko probably talking about his 'subject title' line, and I quote:

They say will work with new computer unlike arma2

Translated the
of the Koprivnice convention.

Thanks for these translation videos Deadfast, gives us some nice insight on what we will see.

just a little question here, why are BIS holding their "presentations" on 3rd grade classroom? :3

just a little question here, why are BIS holding their "presentations" on 3rd grade classroom? :3

They're trying to get the kiddies interested in real games before they start playing Counterstrike and COD. I guess you've got to catch them pretty early these days...

Becouse of recession... Seriously, have no idea. I guess when game is more developed there will be more suffisticated presentation.

Now that I think of it, I don't remember BIS ever doing what you may call "a sophisticated presentation" ... maybe they are shy :o Doesn't matter to me, I don't need hype to know they'll get the job done.. it would attract more players (buyers) though

I would guess that KoprCon was held at a school and that was the room they were allocated. Too boring a theory?

They're trying to get the kiddies interested in real games before they start playing Counterstrike and COD. I guess you've got to catch them pretty early these days...

Sig Worthy.

I agree with MadDogX usually they fall around 5 or 6 to the iron grip of COD and CS. :dancehead:

Now that I think of it, I don't remember BIS ever doing what you may call "a sophisticated presentation" ... maybe they are shy :o Doesn't matter to me, I don't need hype to know they'll get the job done.. it would attract more players (buyers) though

They are not shy. They just dont tend to spend ridiculous money like some to make flashy presentations. Some companies have to have flashy and expensive presentations as their games suck ***. The only way to sell them hehe. :)

MadDogX: They're trying to get the kiddies interested in real games before they start playing Counterstrike and COD. I guess you've got to catch them pretty early these days...

Hell yes! :)

I couldn't read every post, but does anyone know (maybe answered already) If this Operation Arrowhead will be compatible with ArmA2?

Meaning is it going to be like Battlefield 2 and BF2 Special Forces, where you either have to play one or the other or will we be able to bring the stuff we are all using now and put it into the Operation Arrowhead. Kind of like the ArmA 1 stuff being ported over to ArmA 2.

It would suck if you have to play only one or the other. so many things created for this mod.