Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Nothing special, but i tried to make it look a little authentic :)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtmXMFWajk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtmXMFWajk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

richiespeed13 that was amazing! I really wish I could play ArmA2. The possibilities are endless!

Very nice vid there richiespeed!

but did you have to say "ARE YOU READY.."

it gives us flashbacks to a certain underachieving war game :p

i don't remember correctly but i think i posted along time ago saying that the location of takistan (according to that map) makes absolutely no sense.

so on the eastern edge of where ever cherna/taka are is chernarus. an eastern European, Green, lush, Caucasian country (eastern orthodox, with no apparent Muslim influence). and to the WEST (closer to Europe) is an arid, dry high mountainous country that is supposedly based geographically and culturally around Afghanistan (very few Caucasians, some Arabs, Persians, Asians, etc, Muslim, showing very little European Influence). So based of the info we have gotten takastan just dont fit very cleanly together.

of course there is still lots of time for BIS to flush out and explain Takistan, and make it make total logical sense. perhaps we can just overlook this little map and just say Takistan is actually with the rest of the "stans" geographically

Well, to be fair, South Zagoria is on the north western edge of chernarus. The whole Chernarus is a whole lot bigger. Takistan in the map only shows a little bit. Maybe further down west/south/north we will get the arid weather as in screenshot? On the eastern part, it's more temperate?

Really great video Richie!

You should really consider making missions or campaigns because you have a gift for making exciting and dramatic moments.

I'm still trying to figure out who the main Opfor is. Will it be Russians again (as mentioned above if the area if speculation is correct, borders Russia)? Judging from the pictures we will be dealing with some kind of rebel faction ala Taliban and such, but who will be the main big threat (in terms of armor and airpower). Blufor judging from the screens will be US Army, UN, Czech, and possibly a local force again (just guessing since we had a local blufor faction in Chernarus).

But of course russia will be opfor. It's gonna be rambo 3 all the way. Mi28 and hopefully another su plane. Independent will be like northen allience or something like that. But i wouldnt be disappointed with India as opfor. They have a lot of russian made units as well.

But of course russia will be opfor. It's gonna be rambo 3 all the way. Mi28 and hopefully another su plane. Independent will be like northen allience or something like that. But i wouldnt be disappointed with India as opfor. They have a lot of russian made units as well.

Wouldnt mind that especially if they give the russians their new sweet lookign digi desert camo.

So far they said there will probably russians but didnt sound like they are the main enemy again, having russia on your own side this time would be a nice change but as there really isnt much else that can serve as a OPFOR with counterparts to the western weaponry i guess russia is the only choice.

Either that or some fictional Arab Army like the MEC in Battlefield 2 that has fresh stuff like T90s, Vodniks and such

Character of enemy in OA is kind of mystery for me too. It really looks like main enemy foce will be insurgents but I also think about that well equiped enemy. Russians are often discused here, but...We know there will be presence of US army, local force, czech army(or unit) and UN(according to BMP from screenshots). I guess BIS tries to make realistic stories and it is presence of UN what makes me think about russian presence as enemy. Because both USA and Russia are members of security council that aproves peackeeping missions. Both have power of veto. Yes, there can be situation that one of them(for example Russia) doesn't agree with development of situation later, but let's say that both countries would have will to solve that civil war in the beggining...by aproving peackeeping UN mission. My two cents.

Edited by El Kostlivec

My thoughts exactly. You cannot really have Russians as OPFOR in the campaign if you have official UN deployment as bluefor, otherwise it would be vetoed in the security council to start with, and it would only be NATO at best.

Insurgents and other similar but more well trained and with better gear enemy. They said it before - i said it before. :)

But well see what else there will be. Maybe saddam is hiding in a hole in the ground? Pops up like those whack-a-moles on tivolis? Whack-a-saddam and whack-a-laden maybe. :D

Maybe saddam is hiding in a hole in the ground?

Saddam was hanged publicly a long time ago... IIRC.

Good-looking vid mate, but considering you are already using various community addons in the vid, why not replace the Chedaki with some insurgents?

Would have looked a lot better still.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

Last night I was watching your video and my girlfriend came in and asked me what was I watching. I just answered "a game I play", and she replied "but that's not a game, it's a real video, isn't it??". Congrats richie :D (and congrats BIS)

1 war... 2 armies... 24 hours... Only you can make a difference!

Did anyone ever notice that on the ArmA II: OA website? Sorry if it has been discussed. Does that mean the game takes place over a period of 24 hours or am I just drawing a blank on another meaning?

Did anyone ever notice that on the ArmA II: OA website? Sorry if it has been discussed. Does that mean the game takes place over a period of 24 hours or am I just drawing a blank on another meaning?

Well that can only mean one thing

Jack Bauer! *Beep*Beep*Beep*

* Better Music, better compression of the music sound kind of low quality sometimes.

* No Warfare in Campaign!!

* More Close Quarters combat, some clear the buildings corridor shooting otherwise it can be too easy with all the support etc.

* More unique set pieces on the island and more crazy looking architecture and objects, more detail in the cities, more Life like cities, cars in the street fire and smoke from past battles.

* No horrendous voice acting BIS, please dont allow any of the old actors to return, give them respectable lines and profiles, no more White guy voice for a Black character (Coops)

* More Heated Cutscenes, I liked the one when Razor team was held hostage, fine good locations for these cutscenes and all, maybe some background stuff going on bombers flying over head, civilians being chased down by Insurgents

* Huge Twists in the story, more engaging characters with better profiles, more Cliffhangers better Mission briefings and the sense of being apart of a bigger fight instead of a small fireteam.

* Less on foot and more Vehicles etc, Destruction of Huge Buildings set pieces.

Pretty much more Hollywood. :D

*sigh*

no

Just make the campaign believable, realistic, and not hollywood

* Better Music, better compression of the music sound kind of low quality sometimes.

* No Warfare in Campaign!!

* More Close Quarters combat, some clear the buildings corridor shooting otherwise it can be too easy with all the support etc.

* More unique set pieces on the island and more crazy looking architecture and objects, more detail in the cities, more Life like cities, cars in the street fire and smoke from past battles.

* No horrendous voice acting BIS, please dont allow any of the old actors to return, give them respectable lines and profiles, no more White guy voice for a Black character (Coops)

* More Heated Cutscenes, I liked the one when Razor team was held hostage, fine good locations for these cutscenes and all, maybe some background stuff going on bombers flying over head, civilians being chased down by Insurgents

* Huge Twists in the story, more engaging characters with better profiles, more Cliffhangers better Mission briefings and the sense of being apart of a bigger fight instead of a small fireteam.

* Less on foot and more Vehicles etc, Destruction of Huge Buildings set pieces.

If i sum it up it always ends up in me thinking MW2.

While that has its moments too this style doesnt feel like it would fit ArmA, at least not for me, Arma is less boom and more subtile, thank god, erm the BIS team.

Richie, freaking awesome video!! That was pure epic man, BI should totally get you to do the trailer, were OA out that video would have totally convinced me to go buy it.

Flash thunder ... ah ... I can see your point, some of those features would be nice, except for the Hollywood bit ... and some others ... it needs to stay ArmA, stay realistic. If the game is solidly grounded in reality it's flexible and interesting, even though MW is "epic" it's .... not either of those things. It's just an interactive hollywood movie. ArmA is so much more.

I actually don't like the look of the colours and still think the bloom is a bit overdone on some surfaces (mirror finish on the tanks much?). I think the best way to do any game is to create something that is incredibly realistic, and then give the CHOICE to add in things like crosshairs, extended map info, etc. I actually preferred the colours in ArmA1 over 2, they were much more believable.

ArmA2 OA needs more realism. And those flashlights ... unless there are shadows they are gonna be ugly and useless for anything but walking around in an empty field. Just imagine going through a building knowing that your light is shining through the solid brick wall and letting every enemy soldier know where you are ... or seeing all of these stupid lights shining all over the place through hills and walls ... shudder ...

If i sum it up it always ends up in me thinking MW2.

While that has its moments too this style doesnt feel like it would fit ArmA, at least not for me, Arma is less boom and more subtile, thank god, erm the BIS team.

Hollywood in the sense that the game will have a High Production value, have clean/respectable voice acting, Great Cutscenes and Nice Set pieces like the Devils Castle on Chernarus and make use of these assests in the campaign seeing how alot of the A2 campaign took place in the middle of nowhere.

Oh I almost forgot, WAY MORE ENTERABLE BUILDINGS, and buildings with more furnishings, I hated how I could never access the second story in some of those brick houses like in Novy Sobor to shoot out of the windows etc.

BIS can you please Improve the Vanilla AI, so they can at least do the basics, like use statics, enter buildings, use cover, lean, enter vehicles, engage vehicles, flee if outnumbered or dying and fix the driving, piloting and pathfinding, the Modding community shouldn't have to do this, the back of the box says Advanced AI without scripting but It isn't without serious scripting/config changes/waypoints what have you.

More Parallex mapped textures I love those! :D Not just the ground, but walls, maybe uniforms??

The Ability to shoot out of windows in vehicles and walk around in Transport Aircraft like the C130J

Better Smoke/Special Effects they seemed very outdated, especially the muzzleflashes, multiple frame animations would help.

Add more support for Modding, ability to mod more features/files what not, like FlexiAI

Better/sharper looking interfaces, I know it doesn't matter but it makes the game much more appealing to people looking around for a new game.

At least make it look less generic maybe some Flash, more Pictures, Tips, Stats like what OFP DR does during load screens would be cool, more info in MP servers/ stats etc.

Respawn Modules, Mp Gamemode specific modules, Traffic Module, City Life Module.

Yes I have alot of suggestions, always willing to help BIS make more kick ass game!! :shoot:

Improved Texture streaming/object drawing sperate to view distance

Knifes???

Improved Lighting for people with higher end PC's, if its possible with RV3, better LOD Scaling.

TEXTURE/Object CACHING on RAM, for people like me who have 8GB of RAM and its not doing anything! :mad:

Can you please overhaul the lip synching it looks damn right horrible I dont know if its to keep performance or its a limitation please do something.

Pre-made scripts inside editor for basic things.

White guy voice for a Black character (Coops)

FYI Coops and Miles' voices where done by black people, or at least had typical west african names :

- Mamadou Diavando (Miles)

- Diop Cheriff (Coops)

So here goes for the nay-sayers and the "I can tell a black from a white voice when I here it" argument. It may be true sometimes for archetypical characters, but having worked with voice over artists I can tell that you can have real surprises, just like the black Boney-M singer was a white German guy in the 70's...