Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

It's just a post-process filter for the screens. You can play with it in Arma 2 already. it's just to give it the "Bleach Bypass" look of so many war movies and series from Saving Private Ryan to Flag of Our Fathers.

Note : I like it desaturated...

:( I want it to look more like a Ridley Scott film. Besides if you're gonna immitate Bleach Bypass, you gotta be sure it has those great looking crushed black colors/shadows.

Besides if you're gonna immitate Bleach Bypass, you gotta be sure it has those great looking crushed black colors/shadows.

Good Point. Though some Ridley Scott's films are pretty monochromatic (Gladiator / Kingdom of Heaven)...

what is the standard issue weapon for the soldiers? i heard it was scar??? scar, wtf?

There is no way of telling what the standard weapon soliders in OA are going to get based on the handful of screenshots we've got.

That said, the scar is becoming more common in SOCOM, so if we're seeing Rangers or SF, we're likely to see a lot of scar.

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet (at least I couldn't find posts about it). There is now an Operation Arrowhead page/section at Arma2.com. On top of the general information about Operation Arrowhead it also contains two PDF's (a poster, an info sheet) and a ZIP containing all currently released screen shots.

Arma2.com/Arrowhead

And a desktop wallpaper! Thanks for the tip Trit

Edited by sparks50

By the way, aren't those soldiers the same guy with a slightly changed posture? :p

th_wallpaper.jpg

Edited by sparks50

NEW WEAPONS AND VEHICLES

AH-64 Apache

MH-47 Chinook

AH/MH-6 Littlebird

Stryker variants

M3 Bradley

T-55

BTR-60

M113

UH-1H

FN FAL

FN SCAR variants and many more.

Just a recap of the newer vehicles and weapons from the PDF.

@Sparks

Yes I do believe it is the same guy at different angles.

its good to know they have gotten some new weapons in there. I am a bit surprised that they did not include something about the czech army being in game.

nice find. would be funny if it was up for like a week and no one noticed :p

would be funny if it was up for like a week and no one noticed :p

It wouldn't be unusual, as the marketing department at BIS seems to be on perma-holiday.

Abs

its good to know they have gotten some new weapons in there. I am a bit surprised that they did not include something about the czech army being in game.

nice find. would be funny if it was up for like a week and no one noticed :p

I think that the Vz.58 assault rifle will be there, maybe also the Uk.59 and vz.61.

In the text there is wrote "...FN FAL, FN

SCAR variants and many more." - so this is only an extract of the new weapons included. :)

I'm really looking forward to this expansion pack. The screens just look awesome. Maybe this standalone expansion pack will bring us that Operation Flashpoint 2 lots of us are waiting for. Arma2 with all its bugs at the beginning was quite a disappointment (only at the beginning, now with Patch 1.04, I think Arma2 is on good ways) and Codemaster with its Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising is just on good ways to mess the new "Operation Flashpoint" up again.

But 2010 could really be a better year for some kind of a really good "OFP 2". What ever name this product will have... ;-)

OA cover looks great! :)

The campaign there it says player can enlist as regular infantry, tank commander or pilot etc. You think that means you can play the campaign over from start and see the battle from each? Or switching during the campaign is active?

Would be a lot of work if you would be able to play the campaign fully as infantry, and then again from the tank perspective in the same war. So a situation where you as infantry called in tanks, this time the AI is the infantry and they call YOU in to do that same job. :)

Bit much work me thinks. But interesting never the less.

The campaign there it says player can enlist as regular infantry, tank commander or pilot etc. You think that means you can play the campaign over from start and see the battle from each? Or switching during the campaign is active?

I would imagine it would be like OFP, where you played a few missions as Armstrong (inf) then one as Hammer (tank) then one as Gatstovski (SF) then back to Armstrong etc etc

NEW WEAPONS AND VEHICLES

AH-64 Apache

MH-47 Chinook

AH/MH-6 Littlebird

Stryker variants

M3 Bradley

T-55

BTR-60

M113

UH-1H

FN FAL

FN SCAR variants and many more.

Reckon this is a typo and they mean CH-47 (as shown in the screenshots) or will there be a full-blown SOAR Chinook variant too?

If the latter is the case it would bring back many fond memories of a certain BAS' addon...

There are indeed MH-47D and MH-47D in the US-Army inventory.

Can someone tell me exactly where on google maps, or at least the general area where the new maps are based from?

I wish they would fix Arma 2 before an expansion pack comes out... :/

Works fine for me.

Looking forward to the expansion :)

Eth

Can someone tell me exactly where on google maps, or at least the general area where the new maps are based from?

I don't think we know as of right now. The closest I can offer is an actual place with a very similar name with just a single different vowel.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

I wish they would fix Arma 2 before an expansion pack comes out... :/

I thought there was a handy set of information from the dev's added to the first post of this thread to stop people from making posts like this? Or was it added to the actual announcement in the News forum?

Anywho, I can understand not wanting to go through 100 pages of information that hasn't changed since the 4th page, so here's some info for you regarding "fixing" ArmA 2. Work on the ArmA2 patches will continue as a separate team will be working on OA. Any fixes found in OA that ArmA2 can benefit from will be implemented as well and vice versa. NO BIS is not dumping ArmA2, NO they will not cease work on patching up ArmA2 in favor of OA.

Its not "shiny". I see that on sunny days in real life as well. It is a light/tan surface that radiates the light back out (reflects - but not in a shiny way. Light color like white reflects light). Games without it are more "unrealistic" graphics wise then games with it.

It can be overdone though, and ARMA2 graphics would be a bit better if that was toned down a little.