Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Personally I don't think the U.S. Marine Corps gets enough credit in games.

Yep, definitely a huge shortage of films, books and video games about the USMC :icon_rolleyes:

I think OFP/ArmA are one of the few games (aside from America's Army of course) which properly features the US Army. Most other games think the USMC are much cooler.

Great news, I have read most the posts and the press notice but couldn't find it anywhere, does anyone know if this expansion will be compatible with ATI/AMD hardware ? Maybe the system specs on the new box should have a caveat to help purchasers.

For me it's quite simple,... if there is an expansion coming i will buy it when Arma 2 is fixed to a enjoyable level and not a second earlier.

My days of buying BI Products at release day have come to an End with Arma 2.

Cheers

I smell an international coalition just like in Afghanistan...

Which could mean some Brits, French or German units aside the US military...

Why does someone always have to bring up OFP: DR in every ArmA II thread...

Easy, that's because people still think DR is the ArmA2 killer application which fulfill all their wishes and expectations. :)

I.like.Pwnies

My job is to keep the forums in order, remove spam and slap people if necessary. It's not my job to make your life easier. :p

We might come up with an Arrowhead FAQ at sometime.

Easy, that's because people still think DR is the ArmA2 killer application which fulfill all their wishes and expectations. :)

That's no reason to bring it up all the time. There are more posts about DR in ArmA II threads than in the thread dedicated to discussing DR...

That's no reason to bring it up all the time. There are more posts about DR in ArmA II threads than in the thread dedicated to discussing DR...

The OFPDR forum has pretty much the same situation. In fact, I think the ArmA II thread was the biggest thread on their forum before they moved it out of the DR section and into the offtopic section of the main Codemasters forum.

It's not like the expansion will remove any content... :j: You can still play the original campaign/SP missions and use all of the USMC content provided you still have the original ArmA II installed. So I don't really see what your problem is.

No problem at all.... I failed to read the entire thread. My bust. I spoke out of line and for that I apologize.

Rothy Out.

I smell an international coalition just like in Afghanistan...

Which could mean some Brits, French or German units aside the US military...

Now you made me dream. I'll be so disappointed when BIS infirms this speculation. :( There may be one more NATO army along with the US Army in the Independent side.

I'm still thinking who will be the OPFOR... I doubt it will be the Talibans since they don't have armored vehicles, tanks or air support. They might go as an ally to a much powerfull OPFOR army.

Just to suppress the confusion a little this is a quick sum-up of what I've learned from this thread:

• The expansion will be called Operation Arrowhead (obvious ;))
  • It will take place in Takistan, a fictional Middle Eastern country, 3 years after Harvest Red (ARMA 2 campaign)
  • 2 screenshots: Apache and Local woman
  • The BLUFOR side will include the US Army
  • It will be stand-alone - you will not need the original ARMA 2 (think of Half-Life 2's Episodes)
  • If you do have ARMA 2 you will be able to use all of its content (units, campaign, missions) in Op. Arrowhead - it should be backwards compatible
  • Most of the improvements should be available for ARMA 2 in the form of free patch(es), this includes engine bug fixes
  • More info will be known from the GamesCom that will take place between August 19 and August 23 2009 in Cologne, Germany (BIS should have their stand in Hall 04.2, booth L034 - part inaccessible for the general public - source), there will be another "surprise" we will learn from there
  • The expansion is a joint effort by IDEA Games (BIS, Black Element Software, ALTAR Games)
  • ALTAR has started working on the expansion in January 2009, later they have been joined by art designers from BIS. Programmers from BIS have joined them now too.

Edited by Deadfast

Ugh, you're doin a really good job of building anticipation...

:bounce3:

Agreed

@Deadfast- thanks for that I was thinking about doing that myself but now I don't have to.

Do want. Will buy. Absolutely love the Arma2 campaign. Haven't been this engrossed in a game since OFP really. Keep up the great work BIS!

I say even more :))

Does anyone remember the first press releases of Game2?

BIS promised three theaters of military action - Eastern Europe, Middle East and Indochina

Is it April 1st?? :D

Wow!

BIS promised three theaters of military action - Eastern Europe, Middle East and Indochina

If you can provide a source, you're good in remembering stuff, man! ;) :D

Whos making this?

ARMA addon makers step forward. :D

Seriously though. Sounds great though. Hope it will have more "bite" than QG had. So few baught it and i felt alone running about on Porto lol.

Alex

I hope the expansion would fix some of the long standing realism issues that have been there since OFP, for example:

- Proper weapon magazine/chamber simulation (ie. you can have a round in the gun separate from the magazine attached to it, and you need to pull the hammer if you fire it completely empty)

- Adjustable rifle sights, barrel heating for machine guns, removal of rounds remaining from HUD and replace with more realistic system

- Better vehicle damage system, no total destruction of a car for example no matter how much it is fired at with non-explosive rounds (and no magical everyone-inside-immediately-dies feature even if hit by an explosive)

- Improvements in the weapon systems (FCS for tanks, some improvements in the radar systems and guided weapons)

- Many other things I cannot remember now :)

I totally agree with that, just would add small arms firing from vehicles feature.

Hope this "addon" will feature some Nato equipment "British, French ect..", a little bored by US stuff.

Edited by dunedain

It's like Battlefield 2 all over again (Special Forces, Euro Force, Armored Fury, Battelfield 2142, Northern Strike).

If you can provide a source, you're good in remembering stuff, man!

People, who in the community since 2001, have a lot of interesting things remember;)))

Seriously. Before the conflict between BIS and CM, has been the site of a proposed OFP2, which were divided into three such theaters. Can find direct information about three theaters in game magazines of this time. But laziness :D

I totally agree with that, just would add small arms firing from vehicles feature.

I god I will eat my hat the day I see this. This is something that is sorely missing from the series :(

Edited by cm

At the official site, three localities are announced (southeast Asia, central Europe and Africa). It could direct to the idea of the story split into several conflicts. Could you say any more details about the storyline?

Not for the moment.

We are curious if the fights take place also at our place, in Czechoslovakia?

Yes.

Armed Assault info

Please note that this interview was when the game was supposed to be set in the 1970s and was still called Operation Flashpoint 2.

So it was on the site at some point apparently.

I've seen a screen of an Apache for the exp... But didn't see AA missiles...

Nevertheless, will u BIS add some countermeasures to AA in flying stuff? or are we supposed to do always acrobatic manouvers to evade a missile?

Btw, instead of employing ur employes in doing some new textures and all that is connected to a "new" game, why don't u try to fix the texture problems of ArmA 2, and the HORRIBLE cyborg voice we hear from our AI teammates? because http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1170 and it's really true.

But, first of all, why don't u try to complete a game before making a new one? Oh yes, because WE always follow u anyway.

Come on guys, just make things go right please... everyone here love ur games, but please, please, PLEASE, give us something closer to almost total satisfaction..

Now i have a 1.03 game, and a lot of CTD on a OS fresh of install on an HD clean.

I mean, ArmA 1 after the last patch has still the Motorbike bug sometimes (hopefully not in ArmA 2)... Good old times of OFP, 100 patches, but with working fixes!

Edited by xxNimrodxx

I've seen a screen of an Apache for the exp... But didn't see AA missiles...

Nevertheless, will u BIS add some countermeasures to AA in flying stuff? or are we supposed to do always acrobatic manouvers to evade a missile?

Btw, instead of employing ur employes in doing some new textures and all that is connected to a "new" game, why don't u try to fix the texture problems of ArmA 2, and the HORRIBLE cyborg voice we hear from our AI teammates? because http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1170 and it's really true.

But, first of all, why don't u try to complete a game before making a new one? Oh yes, because WE always follow u anyway.

Come on guys, just make things go right please... everyone here love ur games, but please, please, PLEASE, give us something closer to almost total satisfaction..

Out of curiousity have you read the thread? They are trying to patch it still. They didn't give up and its been posted about 300 times in this thread and it has its own dedicated thread which I think was posted in two different subforums. Please read.