Sign in to follow this  
randir14

How do you do the quick side-step?

Sometimes when I'm playing my guy will do a quick side-step but I cant figure out what causes it. I didn't see anything in the controls, I've tried double tapping left and right but that didn't work. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to do it?

I think you'll find it's actually Evasive Forward (don't ask me why it's sideways).

I think the command is E x2. I forgot to unbind it and occasionally my guy will do it too... yet when I want to actually do the sidestep I can't seem to make him.

Well i'll be-i thought i saw my bloke do it once!

But i just put it down to the 'Cider' as ive never seen it again!:D

E x2 is that not permanant lean right?

Yes, 2x"E" is lean right lock (unless you're on a vehicle, in which case it's fast forward)

this evasive forward command is unmapped by default if I'm not mistaken

Cheers

Hi all

It is as IMHO unmapped by default.

I think it would probably be most sensible to try mapping it to Double Tap [a] and/or Double Tap [d]

Kind Regards walker

Whats the use of this move, tried it out. makes a small move with arms thats it?

Yeah you're right 2x E is lean. I remapped that to tab so I must have mapped evasive forward to see what it was to 2x E afterward.

Whats the use of this move, tried it out. makes a small move with arms thats it?

It's how to not get shot on corners.

I noticed yestarday when I was walking around a town with my reflex sight up : I locked my lean to one side and was able to do both a normal walk and a quick step walk while looking through the sight. when I'm not leaning and I press shift to try to "quick step walk" he goes into a sprint. Can we do this fast walk with out "leaning"?

The evasive forward animation worked before patch 1.03, in which the soldier is doing some cool sidemove. Doen't work for 1.03 somehow.

digging out a dead thread...

Did evasive sideways actually work? I happen do this sidestep from time to time and thought it was evasive left/right, but it didn't work on purpose. Did they actually remove a usefull feature to add a ton of useless ones?

There is an animation for doing a short quick, fast hop of about a 1m to either the left or right but I believe in the standard BIS mod content these 2 anims. are not mapped to any keyboard mappings.

With a small addon and a couple of profile changes you could alter this though to a double-tap of 'a' and 'd' keys.

The 2 anims are AmovPercMrunSrasWrflDf_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDl.rtm and

AmovPercMrunSrasWrflDf_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDlr.rtm in the 'ca\anims\Characters\data\Anim\sdr\mov\erc\run\ras\rfl\' folder for the erect, rifled versions.

You can 'preview' the ArmA1 versions (but not the A2 versions as they are binarized) of these (and similar) anims. on the A2 BISolder recently released.

There is an animation for doing a short quick, fast hop of about a 1m to either the left or right but I believe in the standard BIS mod content these 2 anims. are not mapped to any keyboard mappings.

With a small addon and a couple of profile changes you could alter this though to a double-tap of 'a' and 'd' keys.

The 2 anims are AmovPercMrunSrasWrflDf_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDl.rtm and

AmovPercMrunSrasWrflDf_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDlr.rtm in the 'ca\anims\Characters\data\Anim\sdr\mov\erc\run\ras\rfl\' folder for the erect, rifled versions.

You can 'preview' the ArmA1 versions (but not the A2 versions as they are binarized) of these (and similar) anims. on the A2 BISolder recently released.

Actually the correct anims for this ones would be

AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDl.rtm - left sidestep

and

AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDr.rtm - right sidestep

there is also a

AmovPercMstpSrasWrflDnon_AmovPercMevaSrasWrflDb.rtm - back step

To be found in:

ca\anims\Characters\data\Anim\sdr\mov\erc\stp\ras\rfl\

You can Preview it yourselves in the editor using

player playMove [i]anim[/i]

I have never tried this myself prior to 1.03 though (and too lazy to reinstall just check that), and if so, why would BIS remove it (evasive right and left binds don't work for me at least).

Current repro:

Sprint (2xW) then on the last step of your character(back to hold) press A or D

But as Snyde said, with a quick addon, those sidesteps could be active and usable again :) (via 2xA or 2xD or event whatever key the user wants to set)

Edited by PuFu

I explain the steps to reproduce http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83827&highlight=undocumented&page=2

In 1.04 it seems that you hold first key as long as you want then quickly press forward then keep the last key held as long as you want

wtill bollocks, don't get why those were removed, especially since you have in the controls options the commands where you could just bind some keys to

So, has anyone figured out how to get this animation to work like 100% of the time instead of when it feels like it. I mean, it seems to only work 40% of the time. I don't know if it just comes down to the timing of the key strokes or what...

My character does that movement sometimes and I dont know how also, the first time it happens I was like o.O what was that?

If your walking forward and you hold the shift, you will sprint until shift released. Press D, walking sideways, hold shift, running sideways.

wtill bollocks, don't get why those were removed, especially since you have in the controls options the commands where you could just bind some keys to

They still work when prone though. ;)

Very handy for a sideways getaway down a hill.

When running (not sprinting) forward...quickly hold shift and hold a or d. Doesn't work all of the time, but I use it quite a lot..mainly to show off though.

I am not sure this is the same move they are talking about. I am able to do what looks like two long side steps to one side. I sprint (w,w) then hit the side step (a or d). I would seem if I hit the a or d to fast or to slow after I let go of sprint, it will not do the move.

I have not been able to do the move on the slower run.