Sign in to follow this  
riffleman

Changing environment due to pollution

Is there a change in environment due to pollution in future.what you think.  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a change in environment due to pollution in future.what you think.

Being in tropical climes is not needed. What is needed is good insolation. However, as members of Sweden and England have pointed out...it ain't for everyone.

Uh maybe in England. But again, here in Texas it has already approached oil competitiveness. If more development is undertaken, it will reach the same cost structure but have its own infrastructure issues (current storage, consistency, etc.)

But both points are well made. Not every country is going to have the same alternative energy sources available based on their physiological characteristics. Iceland has a significant geothermal sector, for example, but that might not be what works in Romania. A solar array is planned for Nevada, and Texas continues to build windfarms but that might not work in New Zealand or India. Every country (and even every region within that country) has its own energy availability to determine whether it be hydroelectric or nuclear (which I consider a necessary evil).

There are some big solar and wind farms in Arizona too.

Hydro is good also if you have the geography.

Where I live, similar to Holland, wind power has been in use for centuries. But it still is not the cheapest form of generating electricity.

We have the geography, but it doesn't compete financially.

Worse than this, in Febuary of this year, the entire British Isles were becalmed. Not a single windmill was turning. So as well as costing a lot to manufacture the wind turbines, you still have to keep all the other electricity generation running anyway. It doesn't reduce the overall cost, it more than doubles it.

With oil/gas prices falling for the forseable future due to vastly increased U.S. production, it gets comparatively less sensible by the day.

Edited by Baff1

In some places it is not possible to produce hydro energy.what we can do there.what about Nuclear energy for electricity.i did't have an idea about it that due to it there is pollution or not.if anyone have idea tell?

Nuclear energy is pretty clean in the short term. It doesn't shoot out carbon or other greenhouse gases.

What it DOES do is make the site of the reactor radioactive for a few thousand years. It also produces highly radioactive waste (spent fuel for example) that you need to do something with. You have to seal it away for another few thousand years and hope it doesn't leak into the water table or the surrounding soil.

On average, plants costs a couple hundred millions to build and have an active life on average of about 60 years.

Nuclear energy is pretty clean in the short term. It doesn't shoot out carbon or other greenhouse gases.

What it DOES do is make the site of the reactor radioactive for a few thousand years. It also produces highly radioactive waste (spent fuel for example) that you need to do something with. You have to seal it away for another few thousand years and hope it doesn't leak into the water table or the surrounding soil.

On average, plants costs a couple hundred millions to build and have an active life on average of about 60 years.

now days government want to make electricity with Nuclear energy which i think very dangerous for human life who living near to it.

In my point of view Hydro and solar are best source of energy.

Not sure if this been touched on.

Solar cells for the masses must be cheap, and cheap means china, and they've been known to cut environmental corners a bit :j: meaning co2 production during shipping could be the least of the problems.

Most of my cells are for emergency's, and remote battery charging....but If I was going for full power ,they would have to be cheap, or subsidized some how.

subsidized

Ugh, I hate the "s" word...

Woops, I said I wasn't going to debate any longer. Got to stop reading these threads.....

-Student Pilot

As i live near to himalya(everest),many people (mainly western) go to everest every year.they puts there useless things in there way.which is bad thing.

On another side china try to build a highway to everest,it certainly hammer my village and environmen.

riffleman

Have you witnessed any of the sandstorms that have been hitting china in the last few years? I've read about the effects of desertification in china, seems like things are getting worse in that part of the world.

Soory man iam not a chinese i live in nepal and india,i witness many landslides here .earthquake are coming in every 2nd month.when iam 11 year i was sleeping and my house collapse(due to earthquake) but god save me.

I also witness many cloud fall,due to its in once a year one whole village expire.

riffleman

Have you witnessed any of the sandstorms that have been hitting china in the last few years? I've read about the effects of desertification in china, seems like things are getting worse in that part of the world.

Desertification is actually a pretty large problem, exacerbated by our need to chop down every tree we see. Every desert in the world is pretty much growing.

The way Brazil is going, many environmental scientist see the best landscape they can hope for is a savanna.

Changing environment due to MANKIND

the only way to save "a" future, this is to change our way of thinking. Earth is not our planet, we are not the only extraordinary specie, the others species are not toys for our avidity or our cupidity. Earth is a jewel for all the species, and we must respect this jewel and all its inhabitants. The bluefin tuna from mediterranean is destroyed for money. Fishers know that this specie is in danger, but money is more important than life, when Mankind will prefer life to money; Earth and our specie will be maybe saved.

in France, we will have soon a carbon tax, this is really ridiculous. Customers are penalized but not the industry. People buy the products which are available, but industry doesn't make efforts to create products which are not polluting. I bet that if the customers had the choice, they would make THE good choice.

Chinese sand has reached the united states, so I'd think anyone closer would see some effects.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/06/060623-china-video.html

D@nte

in France, we will have soon a carbon tax, this is really ridiculous. Customers are penalized but not the industry. People buy the products which are available, but industry doesn't make efforts to create products which are not polluting. I bet that if the customers had the choice, they would make THE good choice.

Whats good for the goose, is never good enough for the gander.

The us government uses tons of fuel everyday, yet tells it's citizens to conserve every drop.

the only way to save "a" future, this is to change our way of thinking. Earth is not our planet, we are not the only extraordinary specie, the others species are not toys for our avidity or our cupidity. Earth is a jewel for all the species, and we must respect this jewel and all its inhabitants. .

None if it's other inhabitants respect the other inhabitants.

If you no longer have the balls you need to survive on this planet, all the other species still do.

And I agree Earth is not "our planet". So why are you trying so hard to shape it if it is not yours?

It's not our planet. It's not your planet, it's not your childrens planet.

You just live in one tiny little bit of it.

Content yourself with that part of it that you can personally control.

Content yourself with that part of it that you can personally control.

if most of the Earth is polluted and destroyed, don't you think that my tiny part won't be also destroyed?

please don't try to argument against the logical way of thinking.

we are only one specie among others, but our specie destroys the bitopes of other species. And if we destroy the other species, we will be the next one.

destroys the bees and other insects, and we will see a huge famine. etc etc. All the species are connected together, if you can't understand that, well takes a ticket for the Beyond of your choice.

sorry but anthropocentrism is not my way of thinking.

Edited by Sennacherib

We can also called this our whole ecosystem.which is depended on each level of its.such as grass-grasshopnr-frog-snake etc.

Sorry to dig this thread up...

I was wondering ,would anyone have info on how much effort / resources goes into making an Energy Efficient florescent light bulb?

We are told by switching to them we save money and the environment, yet nobody disposes of them properly since they have mercury in them....plus they have copper ,circuit boards, and ceramics inside....which makes me think, it must take a good deal of manufacturing / pollution to make them.

Change or no change, i believe in pollution, especially because the city i live on have some high mountains that create a effect in wich the Co2 emissions cant escape, so we are pretty much stuck with any emission we create until rain comes and clear it up (wich dosent happens very often)

Here you can clearly see a small cape of pollution covering the city: http://www.plataformaurbana.cl/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/1969473050_santiago.jpg

And ive heard that living in some chinese cities is like smoking 20 ciggarettes per day:eek:

In india there is a flood come,which is wrost flood of all time as i read in paper.killing more than 300 persons.

Climate is freakin' cold here in Wisconsin. brrrrrr. Give me some of that global warming we are apparently experiencing.