Sign in to follow this  
Doallyn

Such a low quality game

I've tried to go with this game for a couple of weeks and try to complete the campaign but its ridiculous - so much of the game just feels untested, which is what so many of the people on here have been saying - i've tried so hard with this game but i'm calling it a day - uninstall time

the thing that gets me though is that there isn't any ability to even get past the bugs,

• Razor must survive but can get run over or picked off at massive distances you have to just sit and protect them
  • AI can't figure itself out at all - the AI units will happily walk into a hail of gun fire making high command not even worth it, yet its part of the major stages of the missions
  • The squad high command system is some sort of in joke with the devs i think, they had better command systems on Team Yankee on the Amiga ffs! its truely just such a poor effort, you either build tanks and let them roll in or do it all yourself - pathetic

its such a shame for a game that has so much going for it but is just so badly put together it really is just unplayable - you spend more time battling the bugs than you do fighting, how did the devs actually test this game or did they just worry about the running around and forget that this is actually a Game for people to have fun with

you look at battlefield and then you look at this and you wonder if anyone did any research at all into what can work as a game

good luck everyone else sticking with it

I think its more fitting to call your thread "Such a low quality campaign" ;)

I laughed when I played BF...2-3 yrs ago, but maybe thats where you belong.

This game is more than the 2 examples you tried, in which BF only has 2.

If you do not have the time nor patience to learn everything this game includes, it's sad to see ya go so abruptly!

Well this game isnt just the campaign. So if campaign isnt working that well, you can go play something online with other guys.

If you know how to control & command your troops properly via high command or just your squad you can achive so called "flawless victory" without too much hustle.

Another thing is that not that you cant compare this to BF but you cant compare this game to anything out there. It is one of a kind. Its not perfect but there simply isnt any other games with this kind of scale of world and arsenal. It is not hard to make a tunnel game bug free. Even if they are not. Get off.

Part of the charm with Arma in comparison with other games is that everything is not served on a silver plate, you have to work for it (just like real life). Situations appear that not even the mission designer could forsee, the unpredictability of the ai :) .

I play because of the editor too and I wouldn't mind if there was no campaign at all.

But trying to convince other people to do the same is futile.

You see, Arma 2 takes a special kind of person to enjoy it. The kind of person that understands why we are in love with this damn game and what we are able to do with it.

OP you are probably one of those normal people who want to enjoy the game they bought with their hard earned money, straight away! Right?

Ain't happenin' dude! Not this game. Either use your imagination and dive into the mission editor or uninstall the damn game and go about your business.

To each there own.

IMO the canned missions are about this >.< important. I've never played a game that depended on canned missions that I didn't finish and toss to the stack to collect dust.

Reviewing ArmA as a singleplayer game is (to me) missing 99% of what it's all about. Heh, it's like saying "I played the tutorial for WoW (or any other online game) several times and I just don't see the attraction"

I've been playing OPFP/ARMA online since 2002. Never once have I been bored with online play. The editor allows for such a wide scope of play. The never-ending flow of mods for the game keep it fresh.

As to being "unplayable", it's funny that not a single one of the dozen guys I play online most every night have mentioned that.

But yeah, if all I ever did was repeat the boot camp or the campaign I guess I would get tired of it.

I hope you find something more to your liking out there.

ymmv

I played the campaign through with little problems and I never left my AI behind.

Before you uninstall the game, have a crack at some of the single missions posted in "user missions", theres been some rather excellent ones like "morning assault", "operation enable sky", "search at war", "devils peak" just to name a few! They may change your opinion of the game :)

^^ what he said. Havent touched the campaign ... and don't intend to.

MP is where it's at. Oh and screwing around in the editor ... LOVE IT.

If the OP is so small minded that he can't see the COMPLETE BEAUTY of this game then we are better off rid !

Bye!

That's one of the few issues I have with the game right now. After 1.03 I find the campaign quite brilliant, and I don't mind keeping the AI alive for a challenge, just the fact that occasionally they have a tendancy to get themselves shot up. Fortunately it's less often after 1.03 and I don't see them really blindly walk into enemy fire anymore, the only problem they seem to get is that they get hit by stray bullets while in the chopper, which is more realistic than anything.

I played the campaign through with little problems and I never left my AI behind.

Same with me, I dont see these "game destroying" issues that people are talking about in the campaign. Sure its not crazy polished, but you can finish it.

For me personally, I would much rather play this game instead of Call of Duty 4 or other shooters, sure its not as POLISHED, but its extremely fun, deep and has a fantastic editor :bounce3:

Not perfect, but better then most shooters Ive played in the last while thats forsure.

They tried to do so many things in ARMA2, instead of following what every shooter is doing out there, with Linear boring missions and the same tried and tested gameplay as the last installments, they went all out and yes its not perfect, but Id much rather play something like this instead all the other shooters that are all the same these days.

Edited by kozzy420

Well....First of all, the game is a product .... they are selling it .... and not precisely to a cheap price .... the minimal thing that they can do is to liberate a game without a millions of bugs.

With what object they do a SP campaign , if then it is going to be a full of bugs?? For it, when they publish the game that they should say " This game has a campaign SP but is unplayable, buy this is excellent in MP and for edition "

This game does not achieve the heels to what the OFP went in his moment .... even nowadays, after more of 8 years ... this continue without being able to face him.

Many people are hoping that the OFP: DR returns to us to that sensation that we had with the first OFP ... a game without precedents in MP .... with an impressive editor .... and with an AMAZING SP campaign .... this are the games that do history .... unlike the Armed Assault and ARMA2 ... that ALREADY ARE history because the real fanatics of the military simluation we see in this game any other thing, less a COMBAT SIMULATOR. (i have a millions examples to explain why this game IS NOT a COMBAT SIMULATOR)

Kind Regards

well I have only just bought the CD after messing with demo for quite some time.

I have been lurking here since A2 demo came out.

I did not play A1

Anyone that does not think this game/sim is monumental is completely missing the point.

To compare it with the usual Crytec/COD is apple/oranges

I played COD4 for about an hour and have not missed it.

Have come over from AA2 online/Falcon4

This game is so complex it cant possible be complete or 100% bug free.

I have not had any major bugs or probs yet

but I expect to get them in time.

I can live with some to get what this game can give.....

I cant wait to DL some of the missions and mess with Editor etc

ps I have a mid range rig...game runs ok with most settings high, no post proc. all 4 cpu run up around 80%

Q6600 @ 3ghz

2G ram

9800GT 1G

2 x WD Black Raid 0

XP Pro sp3 32bit

his loss, we know for fact that we will be enjoying this game for years, specially online. I remember when i picked up ArmA i was waiting anxiously for Sunday to play with a group of friends online, i couldn't believe how much i got in it, i felt sad when someone next to me dies, i felt happy when i healed someone, it feels like a real war!

well I have only just bought the CD after messing with demo for quite some time.

I did not play A1

Anyone that does not think this game/sim is monumental is completely missing the point.

Good post mate. Despite the bugs these games are 'monumental' for me. Sheet, I first got into loving miltary-type games back in the early 80's with Gunship Apache and Airborne Ranger for the C-64. Most people back then where just as they are now, playing the fast -paced brainless fun games while I coveted the slower pace, thinking man's game. I always wished back then that I could land my Apache and fight a little on the ground or that Airborne Ranger's tactical like stealth missions could be fully realized in a 3d world an now I got it -bugs and all!

I loved OFP to bits, played through each campaign several times (CWC rocked, Res was almost as good) I even loved Arma aside it's many flaws, I enjoyed the campaign but it didn't match Flashpoints, but Arma 2 I have to say is my new favourite. There's some tweaks I'd love to see come in but the campaign is brilliant. I had a few issues with it in 1.02 but post 1.03 it's amazing and, for me, was flawless.

I have to admit that I'm also looking forward to Dragon Rising (shouldn't have the flashpoint name as it's nothing like flashpoint). I'm looking forward to a fun romp of gameplay on it but I've read all the previews and know what to expect. A shooter in a box, confined, with some sense of realism but at the same time an arcade feast. No planes, no civilians, only 4 player coop. It'll be fun but comparing Dragon Rising to Arma 2 is like comparing Command and Conquer 3 to Unreal Tournament 3... 2 completely different games with different everything.

I did not play A1

I cant wait to DL some of the missions and mess with Editor etc

ps I have a mid range rig...game runs ok with most settings high, no post proc. all 4 cpu run up around 80%

Q6600 @ 3ghz

2G ram

9800GT 1G

2 x WD Black Raid 0

XP Pro sp3 32bit

Great point, agreed 110% bud, monumental is a great word for this game :D

Have a look at buying a copy of Operation Flashpoint. Lesser graphics, fewer bugs thousands of addons.

"I don't like the bugs in Arma2" seems to provoke the same response - "Durrrrrr go play BF2 duurrrrrr. There's no other game like Arma2, durrrrr".

I too have had experiences just like the OP, and it wasn't because of the "learning curve" I love the realism in the game....it keeps the 10 year old mic spamming noobs out and allows for a finer more serious level of gameplay not seen on games like the BF series or any other game really....other than maybe World In Conflict which is another excellent game.

The thing that made me put the game down for over a month now...(I just checked and it looks like it was patched the 5th)....so tomorrow I will have to fire it up again and see if the bugs, performance issues, crashes, and just horrible technical issues in general are still there.

I pre-ordered the game and while I was anxiously Steaming it....palms sweaty and eyes a glow.....upon launching it I came to realize there were no textures....AT ALL!! And I have a pretty vanilla setup, HD4870, Q6600, Vista x64.......how was this not caught in testing? Honestly!!?? So then I have to spend hours of my valuable time for a game that I PAID $50 for....and hack the ini file and add shortcut switches just to make the game look like its not running on Windows 98......no I take that back Windows ME.....and then once the game loads up for the first time in all its glory it looks amazing, on single player training maps....MP is a WHOLE NOTHER STORY!!

I won't even get into the lack of rhyme r reason for the graphics settings.....or the INI files resetting themselves when the game launches unless you make them read only.....and then sometimes the game doesn't load the INI file because it doesn't like being told that it can't modify its own files......yes I said it.....the game was clearly mad at me at some point in time....with all the prodding and tweaking......not unlike a bad Jewish dentist I was....

I'll get back to you when I fire the game up again and give it another go......maybe I'm spoiled but I'm not used to having to bug check fully released games inside and out...sure maybe a tweak here and there but sheesh..

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Have a look at buying a copy of Operation Flashpoint. Lesser graphics, fewer bugs thousands of addons.

"I don't like the bugs in Arma2" seems to provoke the same response - "Durrrrrr go play BF2 duurrrrrr. There's no other game like Arma2, durrrrr".

Yeah what he said!

OFP 2 comes out early next month....I'm surely gonna check that out!

Edited by krazypoloc

It's sad that so many of those new to Arma 2 think that the campaign is the game. The campaign is nothing, and BI simply shouldn't have included it or even spent one minute developing it. They should have spent all their effort in perfecting the features of the actual game. We can make our own missions--we just need the tools and working features to do it. The game isn't the campaign, it's the multiplayer experience and the editor.

Most of the 'bugs' new people and reviewers refer to are the various holes in the campaign, not the game itself. If only they knew that the campaign doesn't matter at all, and those experienced with the series don't even touch it.

campaign, not the game itself

The campaign is part of the game - they included it in the game, so it should bloody work when we shell out $50 for it.

The thing that made me put the game down for over a month now...(I just checked and it looks like it was patched the 5th)....so tomorrow I will have to fire it up again and see if the bugs, performance issues, crashes, and just horrible technical issues in general are still there.

I

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Yeah what he said!

OFP 2 comes out early next month....I'm surely gonna check that out!

Where is all this Crashing you speak of? Ive spent 20 hours on the game on my PC and over 15 at my friends place and not had one crash yet. Yes the game is not very polished and has some issues, but the crashes might have to do with your pc and not so much the game.

I heard the same comments about EMPIRE TOTAL WAR, about how it crashed TONS. And yet I played 140+ hours on Empire Total War with only ONE crash to desktop the whole time. So its a little wierd to me that some people can have thousands of crashes and others only one in 100+ hours of a game. Its just something that baffles my mind. People where talking about suing the peopel who made Empire TOtal War because there was crashes all the time and the game was not very playable they said, yet when I got the game and put in 100+ hours in a few months, I only had one crash (beat the game in each mode and a bunch of differnt factions in Empire Total War).

Is it that some games dont like some pc setupts? Or that some computers might have some issues? I mean if a game crashes on me tons I will be the first to admit it, but Ive rarely had a game crash on me in PC gaming. Ive had it more on the Xbox360 where a game will freeze or crash.

In no way am I trying to be rude at all, this is just something that has been on my mind for awhile. I was not anticipating ARMA2 or Empire Total War that much, but they both are games that I heard had TONS of issues, but when I got the games I didnt have all the crashes I had heard about.

Edited by kozzy420