Sign in to follow this  
Prydain

Bayonet/knife poll

Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?

• Yes definitly i have encounters with AI where it could have saved my life
    • No it would work and knifes arent used for combat in real life
    • Yes but only a bayonet
    • No none of both

oh and btw...this is marines not a british unit game...owned plz?

So the USMC was just pissing money down the drain on a pointless bit of metal four years ago when they bought 175,000 brand new designed OKC3S bayonets that they'll never use because "only Brits are stupid enough to use them hurrr...."?

http://www.mcnews.info/mcnewsinfo/marines/2005/20054TH/scuttlebutt/getpoint.shtml

So useless they stamped their insignia all over it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Tha_Slaya/OKC3S/okc3s-007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Tha_Slaya/OKC3S/okc3s-010.jpg

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/fullsize/USA/us%20okc3s%20ricasso%20teeth.jpg

Edited by da12thMonkey
I forgot a question mark because I'm British, and therefore dumb...

Must be a very british or clan thing to insist on those tin can openers, wire cutters, but mostly dirt pulling bayonets. :D

Nothing against it but it has to work ingame + smoothly and AI should know how to use it too. And no whining if the AI (re)acts better than the player!

And no whining if the AI (re)acts better than the player!

But that's a national hobby!

Sems a bit effeminate if you don't mind me saying, try this!

**image removed by moderator**

He could cut his own ears off with that beauty.

If he hasn't played it yet, I think that guy would love the Gears of War series.

Edited by Rhodite

blah, blah, blah, USMC, blah, blah, [insert 14 year old comment here], blah, blah, blah...

I think you should read the thread before before posting your drivel here.
No, I don't want this to turn into another "ZOMG DELTASAS FASTROPE ASSASSIN!!!1!!" suggestion.

If you want, I will give you my address and I will put you in my airing-closet, give you my .22 or whatever and I will charge in with a knife on a stick and see who comes out on top.

However, we are discussing ingame the fact that there are times when hand-to-hand combat is needed and also discussing other subjects related to bayonets. Obviously your contribution will be noted, if only in the unretentive part of my brain.

Certainly in real life, if i'm being asked to clear a house, bunker, trench, whatever, i'd like the option of being able to stab someone. Dead mans click isn't uncommon enough to stop me thinking that if you've got something sharp on the end of your rifle, you're not completely f*cked should you get a stoppage.

End of the day, most serious combat forces in the modern world tend to use bayonets, because they're useful. Think of it as another tool in the toolbox. You don't use it in every situation, and hell, it's pretty rare to see actual use...but it's better to have it there incase you need it, than not have it there, and need it. Anyone who dismisses the bayonet as a useful tool is a tool of a different kind, in my opinion.

Edited by Pathy

I agree with the above, I like to compare it with the amount of use AT weapons get.

Most soldiers aren't ever going to fire one in combat but I still want one in the game.

If he hasn't played it yet, I think that guy would love the Gears of War series.

I wonder if he has a surround sound on his Playstation or if he uses headhones.

Guys, don't get hooked in by todayskiller. Looks like someone created an Alt forum account for the purposes of trolling sensible threads.

Guys, don't get hooked in by todayskiller. Looks like someone created an Alt forum account for the purposes of trolling sensible threads.

On the contary, I think most people like that sort of post, it provides the in-flight amusements so to speak. :p

The trick to bayonets, as far as the game is concerned, is that they not only provide you a useful tool when fighting in close encounters but they also give you a reason to be in close encounters.

I've found situations in the game where I've found myself both wanting a bayonet when I'm too close and (in ArmA with ACE) wanting a sensible and reliable tool to aid me in the of storming a bunker. I've had pleanty of irritating situations where I've needed to reload or had a stoppage and knowing that my stick of death has a sharp and pointy bit on the end is nice and reassuring.

i agree that bayonets would be a great addition to the game.

Yeah melee weapons and attacks really ought to be possible in a sand box game like this.

Civies should be able to throw rocks, but i guess the Physics in ArmA 2 probably couldnt handle this very well. LOL Grenades still remain perfectly 'vertical' in flight ... just like ofp (*sigh*)

One of the chaps on the VCB forum linked abit of helmet cam footage from Afghanistan that I thought had some relevance to the "real life usage" debate. Just a NSFW warning; it's got abit of harsh language in it, and it is combat footage. There's a body, but you don't see blood, guts, or anything graphic:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=121_1246978752

Anyway, point being if you watch the vid, you can see that they've fixed bayonets, and that they are close enough to the Enemy to potentially use them. Just an eye opener to those who believe that you only ever fight the Enemy with 300m of ground between you....

One of the chaps on the VCB forum linked abit of helmet cam footage from Afghanistan that I thought had some relevance to the "real life usage" debate. Just a NSFW warning; it's got abit of harsh language in it, and it is combat footage. There's a body, but you don't see blood, guts, or anything graphic:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=121_1246978752

Anyway, point being if you watch the vid, you can see that they've fixed bayonets, and that they are close enough to the Enemy to potentially use them. Just an eye opener to those who believe that you only ever fight the Enemy with 300m of ground between you....

Where is that helm cam mounted lol?

The dude is right handed but the gun is all the way to the left...

Where is that helm cam mounted lol?

The dude is right handed but the gun is all the way to the left...

Isn't it obvious? :rolleyes:

He's got a cameraparrot s(h)itting on his shoulder! :D

Yarr! :p

Isn't it obvious? :rolleyes:

He's got a cameraparrot s(h)itting on his shoulder! :D

Yarr! :p

Ah...

Well the fact that it said HELMcam kinda confused me.

It's probably strapped to the right hand side of his helmet. Bare in mind that Helmets add quite abit of bulk, so it's not like having a camera directly on the side of your head, but rather a couple of inches out.

He should have strapped it to his bayonet.

I think, because I am so awesome and my brain is so superior to BIS's collective intelligence I should post more suggestions but out of the haze of the "SNiPERLOL" and "SASFaSTroPE!11!!!!" threads nothing will match the bayonet suggestion.

I will support this because i had this situation

i have allready came in a couple of situations where i really needed one and died because i didnt have one. Sure never in the open field but in urban combat i sure could need one. I was in twice such situation in the same single player mission. I think it was trail by fire where i think bacause of a bug my m249 refused to reload and an Ai guy was coming around the corner i was taking cover behind . his back faced me but he turned around and shot me. Really if i had a knife i had time enough to take it from my gear and stab him. It really felt like a shortcoming. Not that arma2 has many but it felt this way non the less. The second time was when i ran out of ammo in the same mission not far from where the other incident happend. So how about it Bis? Would a knife be possible in a future patch? Cant we have some petition for the implementation of a knife or bayonet?

I voted yes. I had 2 encounters where i did not have a sidearm and ran out of ammo and was killed because i did not have a knife. both of them were in urban combat. Must have and the only thing missing in arma 2 at the moment.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Could you please explaint why you guys voted for yes or no.

Edited by oscar19-6-81

Déjà Vu or oblivion?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83571

Glad you found the existing Bayonet thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77977

But its always better to keep on asking/polling multiple times. Guess otherwise moderators and maybe devs will forget about such important and widely in use bayonet. ;)

knives are used in combat, there was a story about a marine in Iraq having to use his knife, as well as his thumbs from what i can remember. BUT, he wasn't running around with the knife slashing around lol, which is what happens in games. a close quaters *grapple* mode would be more realistic but how the hell would you implement that?

Yes i would like to see it added, no i do not think that BI has to do this.