Sign in to follow this  
Prydain

Bayonet/knife poll

Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a knife/bayonet be added to arma 2?

• Yes definitly i have encounters with AI where it could have saved my life
    • No it would work and knifes arent used for combat in real life
    • Yes but only a bayonet
    • No none of both

@Jonny_LI maybe BIS thought about it but dropped because of issues with animations, AI combat etc - nice to have if its runs smooth.

@Baff1 but you say its "easy" ;)

You'll find it was suggested to them but one of their 'military advisors' said no because no-one uses them in modern warfare because in full on war the enemy would have body armour on...

I won't add my own thoughts on that oppinion but let's say they're contrary!

It could not work without its own button since you need to keep the left button to fire your weapon. Thats two additional buttons to configure or one to use the bayonet and an option to fix the bayonet to your gun.

Why not? Could be mega to be able to deal with a situation without having to worry about switching guns or reloading. Plus the always hilarious possibility of stabbing team mates in the back.

Plus the always hilarious possibility of stabbing team mates in the back.

Dammit, my motive has been revealed! :nuts:

Lets say BIS have to deal with many things and cant please all people at the same time. If you take a look at the DH bugtracker there are still lot issues and bugs with current Arma2 version.

Would be annoying if stabbing doesnt work eg suddenly AI in open terrain switches to the bayonet and start the 500m run...

Lets say BIS have to deal with many things and cant please all people at the same time. If you take a look at the DH bugtracker there are still lot issues and bugs with current Arma2 version.

Would be annoying if stabbing doesnt work eg suddenly AI in open terrain switches to the bayonet and start the 500m run...

That would almost be as fun as putting 50 priests in an open field and brassing them up with the fifty cal.

That would almost be as fun as putting 50 priests in an open field and brassing them up with the fifty cal.

You mean lots of fun? :rolleyes: :D

Isn't there a Priest of some kind ingame, I certainly saw some idiot wearing regalia walking into a seminary on the trailer? Maybe we could add that scenario to the training procedure?

Stop pushing against the idea. I didn't say "BIS WORK ON IT NOW", in fact I am quite sure I said it should be in a purchasable package like an expansion pack. Be less pessimistic.

Isn't there a Priest of some kind ingame, I certainly saw some idiot wearing regalia walking into a seminary on the trailer? Maybe we could add that scenario to the training procedure?

Stop pushing against the idea. I didn't say "BIS WORK ON IT NOW", in fact I am quite sure I said it should be in a purchasable package like an expansion pack. Be less pessimistic.

They're in the editor mate, highly reccomend Priest shooting as an ArmA2 sport - it's good fun!

They're in the editor mate, highly reccomend Priest shooting as an ArmA2 sport - it's good fun!

Why not? Afterall there's already that hunting one for killing rabbits. :p

Edited by Flufball

Lets get back on-topic, ie lets talk about how great my brain is for such an awesome suggestion.

I would also like to see a poll one day to compare it's popularity with other things lacking in the game at the moment like multiple ways of targeting for aircraft for a chance to be included down the line by purchasable expansion packs or patches.

It would be Nice to see the Bayonet in game. A crazy person jumping into your foxhole and sticking you with a sharp peice of steel. it would put a dampner on your day

Yes! We need bayonets! Being able to stick a blunt piece of Steel into the grid of some AI bloke would make my day.

Reading the rest of this thread I say you convinced me. Now I want a bayonet, too, please.

Honestly, using a bayonet has never occurred to me because no-one else in the game has one. Of course I know the situations where you suddenly see an enemy around the corner and the awkward time until the clumsy switch-weapon animation is completed, etc. Plus all the fun you can have with it, apparently.

Reading the rest of this thread I say you convinced me. Now I want a bayonet, too, please.

Honestly, using a bayonet has never occurred to me because no-one else in the game has one. Of course I know the situations where you suddenly see an enemy around the corner and the awkward time until the clumsy switch-weapon animation is completed, etc. Plus all the fun you can have with it, apparently.

We have a converter! Welcome to the Church of Bayonets, can I interest you in our sister Church, the Church of Entrenching Tools to the Face and the Cult of Maximum F*cking Violence?

I did love the Old UKF bayonets. good times charging across a field towards the ruskies with Some Crazy scot shouting Charge down team speak. But the Return of the old cold steel would be good there have been situation in Arma 2 were it was needed. i was sent to clear a house and i went through a door and was just about to step in to the front room when a ruskie in the corner let rip i hit the deck and manage to kill him. now if i had a bayonet on the end of the rifle i could have just stuck him against the wall Job done.

Oh yes we absolutely do need bayonets back in ArmA 2.

Getting "bayonet kills" was serious bragging rights back in OFP with the UKF gear.

Couldn't beat it. Usually amid screams of "IN THE FACE!" over TS.

And the occasional moment where a player would blow up a friendly vehicle, get classed as an "enemy" by the game, only to get instantly automatically stabbed in the face by the chap next to him. Good times. :)

I notice most of the fans of Bayonets seem to be Brits, coincedence? Maybe we're all just horrible gits.

Because everyone else likes to spray from afar.

Honestly, I have never been all that interested in guns - using them as a tool is fine - but bayonets! Thats the way to do it!

Well being British and all we want the enemy to die when we hit it and not sit back up for another pop at us. so a big piece of steel in the fore head seems to remedy the whole i think ill sit up and shoot at them again. but saying that i don't know how truthful this is but its either the us marines or the army that have like some version of an red Indian Tomahawk. At least with a bayonet its in twist out and carry on.

_Dan;1347735']Well being British and all we want the enemy to die when we hit it and not sit back up for another pop at us. so a big piece of steel in the fore head seems to remedy the whole i think ill sit up and shoot at them again. but saying that i don't know how truthful this is but its either the us marines or the army that have like some version of an red Indian Tomahawk. At least with a bayonet its in twist out and carry on.

Annnnd sleep, you steely eyed dealer of death, you!

The use of bayonets in Afghanistan was confirmed in dispatches again today..

In scenes reminiscent of the Second World War, soldiers have been hurling grenades into compounds in a bid to flush out the Taliban.

Bayonets have been used against the enemy on many occasions and Taliban ambushes remain a constant threat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/5742752/Troops-lives-at-risk-through-vehicle-delays.html

"The units have encountered some enemy activity and have been engaged in some prolonged fire-fights with the enemy sometimes lasting several hours. On occasions they have been involved at close quarters."

Lt Col Nick Richardson, a spokesman for the British troops, added: "It wasn't hand-to-hand fighting, but they came quite close on occasions during ambushes. If we take the battle to them, we will get up close."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/5744118/Helmand-Operation-Panthers-Claw-puts-British-troops-in-close-combat-with-Taliban.html

@Prydain, Bruce Willis didn't use a bayonet in Blackhawk Down or Saving Private Ryan. It's not Hollywood enough for most people. No Tom Clancy appeal of an SD doubletap to the back of the head...

It's not the sanitised choreographed war people see on TV. They don't want it, they want to be in control of the battle not fighting for their lives in midst of lethal chaos.

Any game that gets you screaming out loud is a good game.

Edited by Baff1

I notice most of the fans of Bayonets seem to be Brits, coincedence? Maybe we're all just horrible gits.

I watched a program on American gun culture and they use a gun for everything we would use fists, or more importantly, knives to do. So bringing a knife to a gunfight seems pretty normal for us!

We have a converter! Welcome to the Church of Bayonets, can I interest you in our sister Church, the Church of Entrenching Tools to the Face and the Cult of Maximum F*cking Violence?

I know it can be a terrible mistake to tell religious people that you take even the slightest interest in their cult, but somehow I like the part with the entrenchment tools. (I guess, this tells you something about my personality.) So, if you have any brochures and information on your Services, etc. I'll take a look.