Sign in to follow this  

Why Arma 2 has a small market

Ever think maybe they want to target both audiences?

Can't remember the nifty quote for this situation but it basically states that when you try to include too many things you end up failing at all of those things instead of being successful at a couple things if you concentrated your efforts, not sure if this makes sense...the quote was much better :)

Ever think maybe they want to target both audiences?

To target both you must cater for both. Its too hard for BF2 users and too easy for us.

Can't remember the nifty quote for this situation but it basically states that when you try to include too many things you end up failing at all of those things instead of being successful at a couple things if you concentrated your efforts, not sure if this makes sense...the quote was much better :)

Yes it makes sense, and I agree. But I can also see why BIS would want to do that.

I think ARMA2 will sell mor ein the long run, while DR will sell more right off the bat.

Just a guess.

The reason? More people want Call Of Duty type of games and not super realistic ones like ARMA2.

DR looks like some fun to play with a friend casually, while ARMA2 is more hardcore and realistic imo. Alot of people out there dont want super realistic, they want easy to play and easy to learn.

I think ARMA2 will sell mor ein the long run, while DR will sell more right off the bat.

Just a guess.

The reason? More people want Call Of Duty type of games and not super realistic ones like ARMA2.

DR looks like some fun to play with a friend casually, while ARMA2 is more hardcore and realistic imo. Alot of people out there dont want super realistic, they want easy to play and easy to learn.

I feel confident in saying that OFP-DR will sell more in it's first month of launch that ARMA2 for the first year. The reason for this is marketing as well as it being launched simultaneously on the 360 and the PS3.

If it is good I'm getting it on the 360 too so I can have more casual play. I've been watching the most recent videos fairly closely and it is actually quite realistic in my point of view. The hardcore mode is very promising.

I want a game that is realistic and gives the immerse feeling of realism, while allowing efficient and quick entry into the game (not sure if this makes sense at all).

ARMA falls short in immersion due to the bugs and glaring unrealistc aspects of some features that kill it, and falls short of efficient entry into the game due to the clunky and unoptimized interface, just my opinion.

Oh well.

Holy crap, i just added my videos together and realised i have gathered

1 MILLION VIEWS

For Arma 2! BIS you need to hire me as your marketing manager!

I feel confident in saying that OFP-DR will sell more in it's first month of launch that ARMA2 for the first year. The reason for this is marketing as well as it being launched simultaneously on the 360 and the PS3.

If it is good I'm getting it on the 360 too so I can have more casual play. I've been watching the most recent videos fairly closely and it is actually quite realistic in my point of view. The hardcore mode is very promising.

I want a game that is realistic and gives the immerse feeling of realism, while allowing efficient and quick entry into the game (not sure if this makes sense at all).

ARMA falls short in immersion due to the bugs and glaring unrealistc aspects of some features that kill it, and falls short of efficient entry into the game due to the clunky and unoptimized interface, just my opinion.

Oh well.

Im sure it will sell more then ARMA2 in the first year. But a few years down the road I donno. I have an open mind for the new Operation Flashpoint game, but I went from having it PREORDERED and very exctied, to being a little disssapointed in how some of the latest videos are looking. It looks about half as realistic, with about half the features, but on the plus side, it looks to have better graphics and is more polished. Just my opinion of course. I see where you are coming from though, my cousin is the same way actually. He doenst have a good enough computer to run ARMA2 (runs terrible for him), so he is excited as hell for OF:DR, which will either run better on his PC and will be more polished, or on the flip side he can just buy it on his 360.

As much as I have been dissapointed by the videos and previews lately for DR, I will probably still end up getting it either on PC or 360 myself, as some of my freidns who only have a 360 will be getting DR so it would be nice to play a somewhat realistic shooter with them on there once inawhile. I preffer PC gaming, but once in awhile Ill jump on my 360 to have a few games with my few friends or family members that dont have a gaming pc.

Yes ARMA2 has problems, but its so ambitous and is just an amazing game, I wasnt expecting it to be half as good as it is personally, Im having a great time with it so far. Not very polished but whats there is pretty amazing imo.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Holy crap, i just added my videos together and realised i have gathered

1 MILLION VIEWS

For Arma 2! BIS you need to hire me as your marketing manager!

Your videos are great bud, I subscribed to your thingy just the other week :D

As much as I have been dissapointed by the videos and previews lately for DR, I will probably still end up getting it either on PC or 360 myself, as some of my freidns who only have a 360 will be getting DR so it would be nice to play a somewhat realistic shooter with them on there.

Yeah, as said earlier my friends skipped out on me with ARMA2 so I play alone, MP is pretty unplayable for me anyhow.

So it'll be nice to have a game that hopefully will be kinda like ARMA but accessible enough that I can get my friends to play it with me either on PC or 360.

ARMA Potential > OFPDR Potential but the level of potential and actual execution rarely match up, we'll see about a month from now what happens.

Yeah, as said earlier my friends skipped out on me with ARMA2 so I play alone, MP is pretty unplayable for me anyhow.

So it'll be nice to have a game that hopefully will be kinda like ARMA but accessible enough that I can get my friends to play it with me either on PC or 360.

ARMA Potential > OFPDR Potential but the level of potential and actual execution rarely match up, we'll see about a month from now what happens.

Fair enough, this is how talks about these two games should be imo. And not "OMGZ DR IS THE WORST GAME EVER" or "OMG!! ARMA2 SUCKS SO BAD ITS TEH WORST OF ALL TIMEZ AND UNPLAYABLE!"

richiespeed13, no wonder, I check in every day just to see whether you've got a new vid. :D Which, I admit, is stupid. Which is why I'm subscribing your YouTube channel with RSS to save myself frequent visits. ;)

Reality is, the game doesn't play well on average or lower end systems. You have gamers coming in after playing fps games maxed detail wise, and having to sacrifice alot in the graphics department to try and get some playable fps. You stack on top of that the host of bugs in the game at release...and bugs added with 1.03. That can be a huge turnoff right off the bat.

What follows that, is word of mouth, which can do alot of damage to potential buyers. Alot of gamers are already involved in clans, and that word spreads to fellow clanners, etc etc.

BiS needs to get their stuff in order. They need to thoroughly test their patches before releasing them. And I would love to see more on this forum from them on their progress. I'm not seeing alot from them, to reassure their customers.

Edited by Oh_Heck

Word of mouth works the other way as well though. I showed the game off to 3 of my friends this weekend, and told them about the negative points, but they were all impressed and interested in playing the game (though none had the pc's to run it). I think that once the dust settles, Arma 2 will come out for what it is, an awesome platform with for mods with the potential for a great multiplayer system. Just this weekend I saw a server that had 128 out of 128 players on it, what other game can boast that?

Word of mouth works the other way as well though. I showed the game off to 3 of my friends this weekend, and told them about the negative points, but they were all impressed and interested in playing the game (though none had the pc's to run it). I think that once the dust settles, Arma 2 will come out for what it is, an awesome platform with for mods with the potential for a great multiplayer system. Just this weekend I saw a server that had 128 out of 128 players on it, what other game can boast that?

Oh yeah I've been on a 100+ server once before, it was a horrible laggy system that was completely not playable oh and after 5minutes my game CTD'd which thankfully doesn't happen that much to me.

In those 5 minutes it was just chaos and stupidity with really nothing to do anyhow. So why tought 100+ player servers when it isn't even fun?

Oh yeah I've been on a 100+ server once before, it was a horrible laggy system that was completely not playable oh and after 5minutes my game CTD'd which thankfully doesn't happen that much to me.

In those 5 minutes it was just chaos and stupidity with really nothing to do anyhow. So why tought 100+ player servers when it isn't even fun?

What's you internet conn. like? What about ping to the server? Notice, i did not try it, I just saw it going on. Even if it doesn't work now, in a year or two it could. Again, what other game can say this?

I am an ARMA fan however I am beginning to get the feeling BIS released ARMA2 to get cash to support development of their new sci fi game. Have not heard a thing from senior developers and 1.03 patch was minor at best making me believe that either all senior devs are on leave for an extended period just after a release of a gam (weird) or are working on this other project.

I do feel like ARMA2 is being neglected especially when it comes to the major graphical glitches as can be seen in the sticky threads in troubleshooting for video cards with 500 posts.

Anyway I will continue to play ARMA2 but only because after many hours of messing around with my system and finally a new HDD with a win7 install, I got ARMA2 to work. Many others have not been so lucky.

I think you will find that this game will NEVER have the fan base that those other shooters get simply because it is too damn frustrating to get working, both ARMA and ARMA2. The game should work well on release, stable, no tweaking etc. Many of the 3d shooter players out there will not have the patience that die hard ARMA supporters have.

I believe that BIS have to look forward and not back and for ARMA3 which should be in discussion stage at least should be a whole new engine from the ground up using modern methods of graphical and AI development from the core. Yes they can take 5 yrs to do it, in the meantime we the community will continue along as we did from 2001 until now. I am happy to wait 5 yrs for ARMA3 with a new engine, that would be exciting.

I am an ARMA fan however I am beginning to get the feeling BIS released ARMA2 to get cash to support development of their new sci fi game.

I think it's the other way round, they're going to make cash on 'Carrier Command: Gaea Mission' to fund ARMA3.

VBS 2 is developed by a completely different team. BIS Australia or something? Its a military product so i guess marketing isn't the same. Its the same engine as arma 1, except has alot, alot, alot more features, and way, way less bugs.

There are still animal texture files in Arma1 PBOs from VBS2. Same as the 3D editor in Arma2 that was partly left in from VBS2 by mistake. When people discovered it in Arma2, BIS said "oh erm yes that's a special surprise for..er.. the community". Yeah right, BIS won't ever get it to a working standard.

Interesting to compare the VBS2 change log to the megre list of 1.03 in Arma2.

It seems like BIS has made very little attempt to sell their game. We saw a few videos before release, and a few videos after. Nothing too special, nothing too bad.
whattt????? there was a lot of cool trailers and interviews arround the net (especcialy on Youtube). I think A2 was promoted great. the problem is it's poor performance (even on best GPU's), mouse delay, horrible movement and campain bugs. thats why ppl just dont buy the game.

and i hope this is the last one based on BI's Virtual Reality "the next generation" engine :P

Edited by funkee

...Same as the 3D editor in Arma2 that was partly left in from VBS2 by mistake. When people discovered it in Arma2, BIS said "oh erm yes that's a special surprise for..er.. the community". Yeah right, BIS won't ever get it to a working standard...

Oh come on, this is just outright stupid...

How can you believe they "by mistake" added the key shortcut for it when making a brand new menu?

Oh come on, this is just outright stupid...

How can you believe they "by mistake" added the key shortcut for it when making a brand new menu?

BIS never said they were including a 3d editor. Why keep a feature of the game secret? Why not promote it? As I posted above, they left textures in PBOs from VBS in Arma1. No surprise they did it again, just with something else.

Considering the sloppiness of everything else in the game, is it really too hard for you to believe?

I think Arma2 has better sales than most believe.

In Norway Arma2 has the number 5 spot (from 3 place last week) on the top 10 PC-games sales.

(VG is the largest newspaper in Norway)

http://www.vg.no/spill/topp10pc.hbs

All these negative waves :)

Regards

HTL.NOR

Arma 2 has nothing to do with OFP2 ... OFP2 is just an arcade call of duty kill grinding game with no realism and only graphic like in crysis....

Most ppl about OFP2 have no idea how the game will be and they think its gonna be like back in the OFP days.

Its a shame codemasters uses the name Operation fLashpoint 2 just for marketing

BIS never said they were including a 3d editor. Why keep a feature of the game secret? Why not promote it? As I posted above, they left textures in PBOs from VBS in Arma1. No surprise they did it again, just with something else.

Considering the sloppiness of everything else in the game, is it really too hard for you to believe?

Maybe because it is not finished?

Can you imagine how many people would be whining if they told them about it?

BTW, they left sounds from OFP in ArmA too, is that in any way relevant?

What's you internet conn. like? What about ping to the server? Notice, i did not try it, I just saw it going on. Even if it doesn't work now, in a year or two it could. Again, what other game can say this?

That's like saying a game that spits out chocolate lollipops hey no other game can do that! Awesome!

But the lollipops taste like crap instead thus nullifying any benefit if it being able to spit out chocolate lollipops in the first place.

Same goes for your point, saying you can do 100 players is just saying something living up to the experience of 100 player servers (rather 10 players at least) working efficiently should be like is a whole another thing.

I could say alot of things about this game that are in no other, doesn't mean it actually works like it should.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Arma 2 has nothing to do with OFP2 ... OFP2 is just an arcade call of duty kill grinding game with no realism and only graphic like in crysis....

Most ppl about OFP2 have no idea how the game will be and they think its gonna be like back in the OFP days.

Its a shame codemasters uses the name Operation fLashpoint 2 just for marketing

Typical ignorant fanboy response right there...

Like I said we'll see. Codemasters is very slowly releasing detail by detail about the game so don't just smack it down just yet.

Both ARMA2 (once fixed hopefully) and OFPDR are going to be fun games in their own respects if you like shootings things, it just depends on how you like to shoot :)

Don't state such extremities that you really nor anyone else knows nothing about except the developer at this point.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: Looks like Placebo put up a Community Update on Announcements. All I gotta say it's about time and this is definitely a small step in the right direction.

That's like saying a game that spits out chocolate lollipops hey no other game can do that! Awesome!

But the lollipops taste like crap instead thus nullifying any benefit if it being able to spit out chocolate lollipops in the first place.

Same goes for your point, saying you can do 100 players is just saying something living up to the experience of 100 player servers (rather 10 players at least) working efficiently should be like is a whole another thing.

I could say alot of things about this game that are in no other, doesn't mean it actually works like it should.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Typical ignorant fanboy response right there...

Like I said we'll see. Codemasters is very slowly releasing detail by detail about the game so don't just smack it down just yet.

Both ARMA2 (once fixed hopefully) and OFPDR are going to be fun games in their own respects if you like shootings things, it just depends on how you like to shoot :)

Don't state such extremities that you really nor anyone else knows nothing about except the developer at this point.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: Looks like Placebo put up a Community Update on Announcements. All I gotta say it's about time and this is definitely a small step in the right direction.

Well im not a ignorant fanboy .... just google abit or better go to youtube and watch the videos from OFP2 ...

You cannot compare OFP2 with Arma 2 because both games are totaly different.

Arma 2 is a realistic military simulation and OFP2 is an arcade action shooter.