Sign in to follow this  
POPKA

1930's Mafia (Mod concept)

So, recently I saw the film Public Enemies which prompted me to re-install the brilliant game Mafia and play through it again for what must be the fifth time and I thought that a Mafia style mod might work quite well in OFP (this is not actually the first time I've had this idea, I tried about four years ago but having the short attention span that I do jumped to another idea after I started making a few models)

the other day I was thinking that OFP actually does at this stage have enough units released to compile an addon which could pass off quite nicely as a 1930's gangster style collection of addons. Initially I thought adding the WBT_Tommy addon to a few FDF 1.4 WW2 civilians might do the trick for any mission's but the animations didn't look very nice so i decided to recompile them into a separate small mod (I've not asked any permission's yet this is all just me messing about with a few addons and my basic mod concept)

Anyway so far I've taken a few vehicles from here and there (The nice 1930's cars from Liberation Mod, the ww2ec 1931 Ford vehicles) and done a couple of retextures to make them police vehicles. I've also taken a few of the animations for the Liberation mod machine gunner's so that the unit's hold their primary weapons at the hip rather than looking down them like a rifle which make's shooting the tommy gun's seem a little more realistic (..well maybe more cinematic than realistic)

im just playing about really, I might not release anything properly because I still need to gather permission from the addon maker's who i've borrowed/edited work from. I thought some people on here might have a few thoughts?

I've also run into a few problems, a few of the models im using have been decompressed using ODOL explorer which has caused a whole range of annoying problems (though the unit's are still fully playable at present with these issues) Im getting the old "every unit has the same face and glasses" chestnut which is why it looks like attack of the clones in the screenshots below, which im 95% sure is down to the ODOL mlod conversion completely messing up all of the definitions and working on at the moment (if anyone would like help/offer advice with this it would be appreciated), a few similar issue's on one or two of the car's as well.

heres a few things I was hoping to add/ might add to this mini-mod as well:

-Car with Tommy Gun gunner position on the right hand side

-1930's Nogova map (replacing modern sign's, tower blocks, other historical anachronisms etc.)

-larger variety of mafia goon's and police

-Police van

-Mafia bosses

here's a few pictures (as I said before, mostly addons that are not my work just recompiled and retextured in a few places) *Cue cheesy photoshop effects* :

mafbw1.jpg

mafbw2.jpg

mafbw3.jpg

mafbw4.jpg

If anyone has any ideas/input or would like to help at all just say, the configs are a bi of a dogs dinner at the moment so I need to clean it up before I try to make any mission's.. the following addon's are used so far:

- three FDF Mod 1.4 WW2 Civilians - FDF Mod team

- S&W 66 pistol - Kegety's

- Liberation Mod Animations - Liberation mod team

- Liberation Mod Gaz Car - Liberation Mod Team

- 1931 ford car's - WW2EC team/FDF Mod retextures & Ford A2 Model

- Tommy Gun - Wildebeest

- Farmland mod Civilians - Mig

- retextured BIS Civilian Policeman - me

- SEB Nam Pack 2 Ithaca Shotgun - Ebud (I think)

further addon suggestion/ideas are welcome

Edited by POPKA
Images updated

Nice idea, it really looks a bit like screenshots from that great Mafia game, and the brilliant atmosphere that was in it.

Edited by sparks50

don't forget the old chaika russian limousine addon. just go to ofp.info and search for limo.

Looks nice but I think even Mafia 1 had better graphics:D But it would sure be a cool mod, especially now OFP needs some new breth of life, I hope you will finish it :)

BTW Popka, is there still a link to your vending machines addon somewre?

Edited by -Martin-

I like the concept, Mafia was always one of my favorite games so it's fun seeing something similar in the works for OFP.

Looks nice but I think even Mafia 1 had better graphics:D But it would sure be a cool mod, especially now OFP needs some new breth of life, I hope you will finish it :)

BTW Popka, is there still a link to your vending machines addon somewre?

Yes I do remember making those quite a while ago, ha! I've been wondering that myself I since lost all of the original files when I had a major hard drive failure a year and a half ago, their was an island sometime back I think which used the addon and included it in it's download, I will have a look through an ancient external hard drive I have for you to see if I can find a backup pbo I might have saved.

A quick update, I've managed to resolve the Face problem on the Police unit's, turns out it was both a model and configuration error on my part :)

Also I'd like some opinions on the police textures, Should the texture be darker? Less blue? Im not 100% happy with them at the moment, also using some models from the FML civilians pack as base models which are thankfully all in MLOD, still need to ask permission's for everything which i will do once I have a version im happy to release as an alpha. Also I realise that I need to do something about the badge on the chest, either remove it or move it somewhere else, im also looking for a nice old ww2/pre-ww2 pump action shotgun to replace the BIS Kozlice.

Thanks for the supportive comments!

mafpol.jpg

Its hard to judge a texture out of a screen shot they might be too saturated, but I would need to see them ingame to realy give a good judgement. Do you have a picture of what you want them to look like?

STGN

The textures look great, I think they are more suitable then the original BIS police officers but the guys look like they just came out of a swiming pool :)

Its hard to judge a texture out of a screen shot they might be too saturated, but I would need to see them ingame to realy give a good judgement. Do you have a picture of what you want them to look like?

STGN

hm not on me, though I was hoping to have them look something similar to the crooked police man in Once Upon a Time in America. I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon working on the Police unit's, I've made the blue much less predominant and removed the badge from the chest (which was stretching) and added a new shotgun model to replace the kozlice (taken from Sebnam Pack 2 and retextured slightly)

I've also made a Special Detective unit, here's a quick picture:

mafpol2.jpg

hm it doesn't seem to matter what I do with the Mafia goon's in their config or their selections, they still all have the default face and glasses, ugh annoying

Edited by POPKA

Nice!

The head problem is problery a selection problem with the model not near my stationary but I think its because the head part of the model lacks a selection atachment I can't remember whats called.

try search.

STGN

ETA and the hands need it too.

Nice!

The head problem is problery a selection problem with the model not near my stationary but I think its because the head part of the model lacks a selection atachment I can't remember whats called.

try search.

STGN

yes i've managed to fix it now, was due to a silly config mistake I made!

here we are, no more goatee's and glasses. And a new Mafia Goon with a coat (yes it is a retexture of the special Detective :P)

maf1l.jpg

Uh look like the strategy game gangsters, could be cool, if you had to rob banks, set up shady buissneses, bribe judges and officials, demand protection money and kidnap important people, i wonder if it would be posible with the OFP engine.

STGN

This mod is gonna be so cool :yay: I can't wait to give those guys Ak47's and make them Easern Europen. They also look cool as civilians or as goverment workers :blues:

Make sure you finish this man :)

I'll definatly release it, the unit's are more or less exactly how I want them, I just have to completely go over the vehicles configs and model's to correct the selections

I've also added a Police Van, couple of Convict models and a Prison Guard.. I think im getting a bit too carried away with this ha ha

Indiana Jones would be an interesting addition, I've not made any individual characters yet!

prisonm.jpg

at the moment this is the unit list:

West\Police\

Prison Guard

Police Man (Revolver)

Police Man (Shotgun)

Police Man (Tommy Gun)

Special Detective (Revolver)

Special Detective (Shotgun)

Special Detective (Tommy Gun)

Police Van

Police Car 1

Police Car 2

Guer\Mafia

Convict 1

Convict 2

Mafia Don (White Suit)

Mafia Goon 1 (Revolver)

Mafia Goon 1 (Shotgun)

Mafia Goon 1 (Tommy Gun)

Mafia Goon 2 (Revolver)

Mafia Goon 2 (Shotgun)

Mafia Goon 2 (Tommy Gun)

Mafia Goon 3 (Revolver)

Mafia Goon 3 (Shotgun)

Mafia Goon 3 (Tommy Gun)

Mafia Goon 4 (Revolver)

Mafia Goon 4 (Shotgun)

Mafia Goon 4 (Tommy Gun)

Mafia Goon 5 (Revolver)

Mafia Goon 5 (Shotgun)

Mafia Goon 5 (Tommy Gun)

Mafia Car 1

Mafia Car 2

Mafia Car 3

Mafia Truck

Don's Car

Edited by POPKA

I love the convict's, they are awsome for ww2 missions, mybe I'll make a mission where a convict has to get off the island or a MP mission like seriall killer where a convict starts killing people and the police have to catch him :) They will sure look great on my island were I'm making a big jail that is on a small island just on the coast of the main island.

When are you planing to release this?:pet5:

Maybe you can replace the badge with the old 'Copper' badge, and as for the uniform, definitely darker. From period photographs, they always seemed to be a navy blue color.

I love the convict's, they are awsome for ww2 missions, mybe I'll make a mission where a convict has to get off the island or a MP mission like seriall killer where a convict starts killing people and the police have to catch him :) They will sure look great on my island were I'm making a big jail that is on a small island just on the coast of the main island.

When are you planing to release this?:pet5:

Well I've fixed all of the selection's on the vehicles so headlights and break lights all now work fine and the car's have full cargo positions.

this morning I reconfiged and removed all of the Nazi paraphernalia from the Liberation Mod Opal Kaptin which I think will suit a Mafia don's car as it's such a nice model.

It depends really on how much more I want to do, And whether people get back to me or not about the addon's i've used so far, I sent out PM's to a fair few people though it's alot harder to get responses from addon makers who may not have even played OFP in five years!.

I've not done any missions or anything yet either which is something i'd like to do. I think im also going to update this Gramophone addon I made three years ago for the sake of this mini-mod.

But I think it will most likely be in the next couple of weeks once i've ironed out a few bugs and added some more content.

I sent out PM's to a fair few people though it's alot harder to get responses from addon makers who may not have even played OFP in five years!.

Well if they haven't played OFP for 5 years they propably dont care anymore so I think they wouldent mind, I sure wouldent:)

I've not done any missions or anything yet either which is something i'd like to do. I think im also going to update this Gramophone addon I made three years ago for the sake of this mini-mod.

That addon is cool, you could make the gramophone disk spin :)

Looks great! I remember playing around with pretty much the same addons to make some great gunfights in Nogova!

By the way, FDF mod contains a double-barreled shotgun, which would be very period, and what's even better, a sawed-off version of the same weapon!

I do hope you release some 1930's civvies (well, the goons can be used for men, but some women could be nice too) and of course, whiskey crates with a red maple leaf on them! Maybe even a truck full of the stuff?

But yes, looks great so far! I don't have the skills to help much, but I've made a couple of anims in the past (WW1 mod spuns to my head of the released ones) and figured that pistol anims could propably use a facelift too? Shooting one-handedly, maybe even pulling them from under the coat instead of the belt?

Looks great! I remember playing around with pretty much the same addons to make some great gunfights in Nogova!

By the way, FDF mod contains a double-barreled shotgun, which would be very period, and what's even better, a sawed-off version of the same weapon!

I do hope you release some 1930's civvies (well, the goons can be used for men, but some women could be nice too) and of course, whiskey crates with a red maple leaf on them! Maybe even a truck full of the stuff?

But yes, looks great so far! I don't have the skills to help much, but I've made a couple of anims in the past (WW1 mod spuns to my head of the released ones) and figured that pistol anims could propably use a facelift too? Shooting one-handedly, maybe even pulling them from under the coat instead of the belt?

yes I was planning on using the FDF sawed off shotgun, I always tend to put off weapons though as I absolutely loathe writing configs for them.

Thinking about it I probably will make a load of pointless object addon's to go with them like crates and such, it's what I do best :)

I need to go through the Anim PBO quite badly and replace some animations which are causing some serious problems for units which are unarmed. Yeah I'd really like some good pistol replacement anims, I remember the old Civil War mod one's though they looks a bit too formal as if the unit's are dualing.

Tremendous idea! Such mod for OFP would be great.

Here, I'd like to come up with firearm ideas:

- Beretta 471, a decent double barreled

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=7078

-How about BAR ? Clyde Barrow prefered to use sawed off version:)

http://texashideout.tripod.com/guns.html

-Molotov coctail. The one from FDF is perfect.

-Colt 1911

- Sniper rifle like Springfield or just like in Mafia, Mosin Nagant ;)