Sign in to follow this  
nzdfcrash

Ida-step?

Hey guys ive recently been sent a model in IDA-STEP format and have no idea what to use to convert it into either .obj format or .3ds format so i can edit it in maya or 3ds max. Any ideas on what to use so i can get this kahu uav into a format in which i can import and eventually get into a2?

ka.jpg

thanks in advance

CRASH

Guest RKSL-Rock

You are going to struggle on this... The problem is that STEP is a engineering format not really a modelling one. Unless you know someone with CATIA or CADDS5 (or any program witha step converter) you are going to struggle. I dont know of any free converters they are usually part of larger (read as F'ing expensive) packages

I'd like to help but I dont have a Catia license anymore i dont really use it for work now.

Anyone with Deep Exploration (esp. the cad edition) should be able to open your file for you and save it out in whatever other format you desire.

However, it'll probably be flaw in some fashion. ie. Too many polly's or part'd into thousand-and-one segments. So, I'd imagine whatever you end up with will only be useful as a backdrop mesh to reference your new topology over.

Edited by Synide