Sign in to follow this  
Fortran

F-117A NightHawk - Alpha Released

ALPHA RELEASE

F-117A NIGHTHAWK STEALTH FIGHTER FOR ARMA 2

RELEASE VERSION - ALPHA 0.1

BY FORTRAN 2009:

INFO/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This is an early alpha release of the F-117A NightHawk for Arma2. I am currently pressed for time to continue

development so in the meantime until I can complete the asset this release is purely a demonstrator of the final

or future release(s). As such there are a number of issues/bugs which will be addressed in the near

future. All known issues/bugs are listed below, please report any further problems in the following thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83459

As this is an early release an MP compatibility has not been tested yet I have not signed the addon. This should

be tested in singleplayer only until the next release.

FEATURES////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Fully working 3D Cockpit with day/night capability featuring the following game-accurate gauges:

01: Beta (Horizontal AOA)

02: AOA

03: MFD HSI (including waypointing and airport waypointing, TimeToTarget and DistanceToTarget and heading)

04: Radar Altitude (up to 1000 meters, bug set to 100 meters)

05: Standby Attitude Indicator

06: Trims Indicators (Elev/Rudder/Aileron)

07: Slip Indicator

08: Fuel/RPM/EGT/FuelFlow Counters

09: Fuel (including Bingo and Low Warning) Indicator

10: Oxygen (1 RT hour supply)

11: G-Force Indicator (including Max-G Attained Needle)

12: Eyebrow Indicators (Warnings for RadarAlt, RCS, Stall, BingoFuel,Chute)

13: MFD Attitude Indicator (including AOA/Speed/VertSpeed/Altitude)

14: Airspeed Indicator

15: Main Attitude Indicator

16: Vertical Speed Indicator

17: Altimeter (Accurate to 9000 meters)

18: Standby HSI Indicator

19: WeaponBay lights illuminate when weapon bay is open

20: Landing Gear (Handle moves with gear position and lights (dull green: stowed, red: gear moving, bright green: gear down)

21: Annunciator Panel (warning lights light as required)

22: Both MFD's run through a "boot" sequence when the engine is fired up.

23: Clock (H/M/S)

24: Full HUD

Brakechute deployed on landing (includes brakechute door animation)

2 x GBU-27B LGB's

DLIR laser designator system

Fully stealth (unless gear is down / weapon bay is open / Jet is performing high Pitch/Banking maneuvers)

Map based waypointing system (waypoint is displayed on right MFD compass)

Airport waypoint system (nearest major airport bearing for vanilla A2 maps is shown on right MFD compass)

INSTALLATION////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Copy: f117a_nighthawk.pbo

f117a_target.pbo

f117a_chute.pbo

gbu27.pbo

To a mod/Addons folder structure inside your ARMA 2 directory. For example:

Arma 2/@F117A/Addons/

EXTRA CONTROLS///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

DLIR sensor is activated via the action menu, to leave the sensor system once fired press "Space bar".

Waypoint System is activated by clicking on the map to set the waypoint marker. This waypoint can be moved

once set by clicking on a new location on the map. The MFD heading will update automatically.

KNOWN ISSUES///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The following bugs/issues will be addressed in the final or updated release(s) of this asset.

01: GBU-27's can currently be fired with the weapon bay closed.

02: GBU-27's do not fall from lowered proxy position (weapon cradle down).

03: DLIR Sensor script can only be executed once per session.

04: Textures are VERY VERY WIP, no shaders, no normal/spec maps, just a simple diffuse.

05: When taking off, if the execution of the takeoff is not perfect the brake chute might deploy.

06: It is not known at this time if the scripts associated with the F-117A will work in MP.

07: The F-117A currently uses the A-10 soundset.

08: GBU-27's can still be fired outside of the DLIR script system, however this may cause damage to the plane.

09: Illuminated cockpit textures (used for day & night) appear a little too bright during daytime.

10: Loading BOOT BIOS screens may flicker when loading for the first time per session.

11: BETA Gauge (H-AOA) does not currently display H-AOA date but rather rudder data.

12: Currently only one waypoint may be created on the map using the waypointing system.

13: Pilot actions can be performed outside of the plane (ie opening the weapon bay or using the DLIR sensor)

14: Currently only 1 LOD, no shadow LOD and no wreck model.

Any further bugs or issues may be reported in the following forum thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83459

CREDITS///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Fortran - Models/Textures/Scripting

Nuxil - Script fragment for locating angle between two objects

Gigan - Freelook mouse driven camera system (DLIR sensor script base)

Cole - Vapor Trail Script (Taken from Mykes release of the F-16)

Mandoble - Mando Missiles (GBU Guidance system)

THANKS TO///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BI Community Forum members - Especially the following members for their help:

[APS]Gnat

RKSL-Rock

UNN

Nuxil

Myke

kju

Soul_Assassin - For the amazing 3DS Max toolbox! Would have never been able to do this without this

amazing bit of kit! Thanks mate!

LEGAL///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

By downloading/installing/running/extracting this asset you agree to the following conditions:

This asset or the models/textures/scripts that it employs cannot be used for financial gain, re-sale or military purposes.

You also agree not to redistribute or edit the asset/modes/textures/scripts without prior consent of the author.

Download Links:

DOWNLOAD - ARMAHOLIC - F-117A NightHawk Stealth Fighter

MIRROR 1: http://www.filefront.com/14895691/F117A_ALPHA_RELEASE.zip

MIRROR 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ME1IRRK3

ORIGINAL POST

------------------------------------------

As a few of you may have seen in the "stuff you are working on" thread, my current project is creating an F-117A NightHawk for Arma II. Alongside modelling/texture/export and config work for the jet I have also been working on a script set to attempt to emulate the "real-life" weapon and user systems found on-board.

As most of you may know the F-117A is capable of self-designating its targets for the GBU-27's, or other laser-guided payloads, via it's FLIR and DLIR sensors. The actual exact method of how it does this is still classified, but after reading pretty much everything I could find I have a fairly good idea of how it works. I really wanted to try and incorporate these systems into my version of the F-117A and as I said, am trying to build up a set of scripts which will allow the player to feel (as much as I can) that he is actually using these to some extent.

Currently this is still very much WIP but I thought I would share where I am at so far and get some feedback from you guys. Currently I am only working on the DLIR sensor, which is used after its forward looking counterpart, as the plane enters above the target area. The basic idea for the final version will be the target is selected from the forward sensor then final adjustments and firing will be passed to and carried out by the downward sensor, am also planning to implement a good navigation system and GPS etc. Try to ignore the visuals/GUI at the moment as im still working at it as I go, but the concept is slowly coming together.

Here are a couple of videos featuring the downward sensor, the first in daytime conditions and the second at night. As I said still very much a WIP.

NxmiXAyWsgs

3CEyi64iR6o

F117A_TEST_th.jpg

Thanks To:

Gigan - freelook mouse code & help.

Mandoble - Mando missile suite (LGB guidance)

Nuxil - General help and line drawing method from his TVGM's.

Update #1

Just been testing a scripted Air-Brake parachute for the F-117A. As you may know the aircraft has no flaps thus making the landing speed very high. This is solved by an automatically deployed braking chute on touchdown. Currently no anims in the chute and no cloth behaviour, two things I need to get worked out (any info?), but the scripted side of it works fairly well. Here is a short video demonstrating it on my test model.

YF1X8u5JTI0

Update #2

Another small update, finally got around to finishing up the model cfg for the outboard animations (no cockpit anims yet): The animations list is as follows:

1: Correctly functioning in and outboard elevons

2: Split rudder

3: Canopy with rotating seals and elevation drive pistons

4: Weaponbay doors / bombcradles rotate down into position.

5: Blow-in doors (ontop of the engine intakes) open at speeds lower than 250.

6: Fully functioning landing-gear

7: Front steer wheel when taxiing and roll wheels.

8: Chute hatch doors open when parachute deploys (and close when chute re-packs)

Have most of the shadow LOD's done now and re-modelled the geometry LOD for a better flight dynamic simulation. There are a number of small errors I need to fix namely smoothing groups on the underside of the plane and some tiny things such as the cockpit glass edges need a different material (at the moment you can see through them), also the weaponbay doors are not %100 flush with the underside at the moment. Will move on to texturing (and getting the view-pilot cockpit unwrapped/named/mempoints) once I fix the smoothing problems. Have also now ported the weapon/FLIR/chutebrake systems into the config.

Anyway here is a short video demonstrating the animations. Please ignore the pilot position/RTM at the moment, will have to create a new one for the F-117A so he sits correctly and holds the stick/throttle. Also just read the elevons on the real thing have a slightly larger rotational angle (60 degrees) currently mine are set to out:50/in:35 so will go back and fix that.

Also if anybody knows of a way to remove "flaps" from the action menu I would appreciate it. The F-117A doesn't have any and although I don't mind the AI/autopilot using them I want to remove them for the player as there is no visual feedback on the model for this function.

GleH11bN0tI

NEW_2_th.jpg

Update #3

Just a pre-update on the F-117A cockpit which I have been hacking away at for the past couple of weeks. Been texturing all "moving" components and now have all animations/gauges completed, working and are listed as follows:

• 01: Beta (Horizontal AOA)
  • 02: AOA
  • 03: MFD HSI (including waypointing and airport waypointing, TimeToTarget and DistanceToTarget and heading)
  • 04: Radar Altitude (up to 1000 meters, bug set to 100 meters)
  • 05: Standby Attitude Indicator
  • 06: Trims Indicators (Elev/Rudder/Aileron)
  • 07: Slip Indicator
  • 08: Fuel/RPM/EGT/FuelFlow Counters
  • 09: Fuel (including Bingo and Low Warning) Indicator
  • 10: Oxygen (1 RT hour supply)
  • 11: G-Force Indicator (including Max-G Attained Needle)
  • 12: Eyebrow Indicators (Warnings for RadarAlt, RCS, Stall, BingoFuel,Chute)
  • 13: MFD Attitude Indicator (including AOA/Speed/VertSpeed/Altitude)
  • 14: Airspeed Indicator
  • 15: Main Attitude Indicator
  • 16: Vertical Speed Indicator
  • 17: Altimeter (Accurate to 9000 meters)
  • 18: Standby HSI Indicator
  • 19: WeaponBay lights illuminate when weapon bay is open
  • 20: Landing Gear (Handle moves with gear position and lights (dull green: stowed, red: gear moving, bright green: gear down)
  • 21: Annunciator Panel (warning lights light as required)
  • 22: Both MFD's run through a "boot" sequence when the engine is fired up.
  • 23: Clock (H/M/S)

Have tried my best to make every gauge as accurate to the in-game world as possible so the player can fly entirely by the panels if needed.

Texture work is getting done, as I said at the top, all moving parts/gauges are textured, just need to tweak them and then move onto the side (arm) panels and the rest of the cockpit itself. So far only diffuse, no spec or normal maps. Will run another update in about a week with a video walkthrough of the cockpit and its various panels.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/fortran2000/F117A/f117a_cockpit_1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/fortran2000/F117A/f117a_cockpit_2.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/fortran2000/F117A/f117a_cockpit_3.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/fortran2000/F117A/f117a_cockpit_4.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/fortran2000/F117A/f117a_cockpit_5.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/fortran2000/F117A/f117a_cockpit_6.jpg

Update #4

Another mini update, took a video of the cockpit in action. Having to re-work a couple of the anims (EGT etc) using a better script so for now they are missing. Also am working to finish up the last few texture selection for the MFD's to update the real bearing direction/vert speed/aoa etc. Also showing the waypointing system in this update. Red marker is the major airport for each map (Utes/Chernarus), Green marker is user defined waypoint.

f117a_cockpit_10_th.jpg

flgB2APES2c

Update #5

Updating again with a night time movie showing the interior and exterior lighting systems for the F-117A. Have also now completed the 3d/2d hud (save for some fiddling with text sizes and adding the waypoint marker to the compass) so this is also demonstrated in the video.

After adding the duplicate faces for the night illumination I am now running perilously close to the poly limit for the view-pilot LOD so have had to take the call to drop the FuelFlow, EngineGasTemp & FanRPM counters and just make them static. No big loss as they were purely eye-candy, but unfortunate non the less.

f117a_nightcockpit1_th.jpg

81gzUELZsxs

Edited by Fortran
Updated
  • Like 1

Amazing, simply amazing. This must be the best addon so far.. keep up your amazing work that looks absolutely awesom!

WOW!

Love it. I just saw an f-117 up close and personal this weekend. Now I really wish I took some pictures. I didn't have my phone with me ;( I love it. Thanks for the info.

Quite the job, mate! Looks good!

Now for some comments, nothing earth breaking, but still, you asked for some:

- Is it possible to loose the mouse pointer?

- The zooming seems tad stuttering, any way to fix that? It is probably quite demanding.

- I would change the color of the target lock into white and not red in Flir mode.

- I would try to make the turning of the camera go in blocks of 90 degree. So, either clock or counterclockwise. I don't know how it is in real for the 117, but that would seem more logical to me.

Otherwise great job, well done.

Edited by p75

Do you have to stay in that camera mode or once the target is designated and the bomb has been dropped can you go back to the "normal" camera in the cockpit?

wow this was what I spent many hours trying to achieve for the F14/F15 and F111 and many others awesom work :)

The new benchmark has been set.

Very nice presentation Fortran and thanks to you and your team. :)

Looks great man. very kewel..... Just wondering... how are you going to do stealth? Because in the other games people seemed to set it so that you cant lock the f117 or detect it on radar. Will you be implementing a more realistic system?

Very very cool :)

I have the same question as already asked - do you need to stay in camera mode for the bomb to hit?

Great work!

Wow thanks very much guys, really appreciate all the kind comments, very much appreciated. As for the questions:

- Is it possible to loose the mouse pointer?

- The zooming seems tad stuttering, any way to fix that? It is probably quite demanding.

- I would change the color of the target lock into white and not red in Flir mode.

- I would try to make the turning of the camera go in blocks of 90 degree. So, either clock or counterclockwise. I don't know how it is in real for the 117, but that would seem more logical to me.

The zoom isn't actually too jerky really, the scripts running are quite demanding but it's mostly down to FRAPS adding extra strain to the system while recording. It is still possible that if it ends up too taxing to have a full scrolled zoom I may substitute it for 2 or 3 fixed FOV steps. I believe the actual NightHawk only has wide and narrow FOV settings.

The colour of the target range-to-target text on the lockbox can be changed for sure, its mainly for testing at the moment as its easier to see in red. The final versions on-screen controls will be more consistent with the real-thing and will keep the colours consistent. Also with the ability to switch from white to black on the GUI.

Camera turning, as far as I know, for the sensors is fluid and not fixed, although the viewing angles are constrained by the actual distance the sensor turrets can rotate. Another method might be (once the forward looking sensor is setup and can pick the initial target) would be to only allow the DLIR sensor to be slewed onto the target instead of fully rotated and instead have the camera rotate on its own to keep aligned with the selected target. Thanks for the feedback, will definitely consider these ideas.

Do you have to stay in that camera mode or once the target is designated and the bomb has been dropped can you go back to the "normal" camera in the cockpit?

Nope once the target has been selected and the laser designator begins to fire at the selected position as soon as you press the fire button and release the bomb you are free to leave the sensor view and return to the normal cockpit view. The LGB will continue to track onto the target on its own. Although I think its standard practice in the real jet for the pilot to monitor the drop until impact.

Looks great man. very kewel..... Just wondering... how are you going to do stealth? Because in the other games people seemed to set it so that you cant lock the f117 or detect it on radar. Will you be implementing a more realistic system?

This is something I have been debating and wondering about myself to be honest. The F-117A has a very small RCS which makes it pretty much invisible to standard radar system, it also has a very low heat signature from the engines due to the upward sloping vents at the rear. Aside from this though it usually only flies at night time and at fairly high altitudes.

I think its fair to remove it from the radar (if its possible) and as a balancing issue, as it has no countermeasures that it should not be lockable by AA missiles, or if not lockable instead maybe make it "harder" to hit. Using the incoming missile event handler it might be possible, instead of scripting a flair system to simply decrease the chances of an AA missile hitting the jet by making some random recalculations to the missiles flightpath with setVelocity. As it only carries 2 LGB's and has no cannon/aa missiles or chaff/flair system the player will need to fly it more like its real-life counterpart and stick to higher altitudes etc. If you have any suggestions on some better ways to implement the stealth side of the plane more realistically I am very interested in hearing from you or anybody else about it. The ideas above are pretty much what I am thinking so far though.

It is splendid development. I am surprised :bounce3:

Thanks man, wouldn't be anywhere without your mouse-look script though, glad you like what im doing with it :)

Nice idea to make the F117A!

Is it possible to fade the radar-contact out if the plane is flying in a certain (high) altitude? Imho in OFP the solution with "stealth planes" was made that the radar operator could only see some flickering blips. Targeting was possible but much harder like with standard + constant aircraft blips. Would be imo better instead of radar cloak of invisibility and AI has a very little chance to damage or destroy it too.

As long as the AI will attack it if they see it I'm happy... Its a bit dull to fly and have no risk in the game hopefully aa guns and jets will engage. Thanks for the swift response... will deffinately keep my eye on this beauty. Good luck mate!

In real life the the pilot designate a target and the FLIR always is pointing to the target. The laser need to be pointed to the target to show were the gbu-27 will go. The target box can be moved on manual or locked on target.

The video show the bomb going to target like a fire and forte bomb (TV or IR mode). GBU-27 it´s a laser guided bomb.

G-LOC

The zoom isn't actually too jerky really, the scripts running are quite demanding but it's mostly down to FRAPS adding extra strain to the system while recording. It is still possible that if it ends up too taxing to have a full scrolled zoom I may substitute it for 2 or 3 fixed FOV steps. I believe the actual NightHawk only has wide and narrow FOV settings.

Hi Fortran, I would keep it as close to real as possible. With 2 or 3 FOVs. Looking foward to its development.

As to its stealth, wouldn't it be possible to create a Metal Gear Solid effect (when he uses the badana, making him kinda invisible)? My guess would be that it would be possible with the engine. You could then have the invisibility external view for the other players and normal external view for yourself. You could link the invicibility towards other players relating to your flying height.

In real life the the pilot designate a target and the FLIR always is pointing to the target. The laser need to be pointed to the target to show were the gbu-27 will go. The target box can be moved on manual or locked on target.

The video show the bomb going to target like a fire and forte bomb (TV or IR mode). GBU-27 it´s a laser guided bomb.

G-LOC

As far as I understood the Laser designator, although linked to the optical sensor, is capable of moving independently? Thus even if the pilot is not looking directly at the target the laser designator is. Will go back and check this though your probably right. If so I will lock the camera to the designator. Thanks for the info!

As long as the AI will attack it if they see it I'm happy... Its a bit dull to fly and have no risk in the game hopefully aa guns and jets will engage. Thanks for the swift response... will deffinately keep my eye on this beauty. Good luck mate!

Definitely mate, dont want her to be invincible, especially when its possible to cause so much damage with the 2000lb bombs. Tough to hit but not impossible to bring down would be the key I guess.

Hi Fortran, I would keep it as close to real as possible. With 2 or 3 FOVs. Looking foward to its development.

As to its stealth, wouldn't it be possible to create a Metal Gear Solid effect (when he uses the badana, making him kinda invisible)? My guess would be that it would be possible with the engine. You could then have the invisibility external view for the other players and normal external view for yourself. You could link the invicibility towards other players relating to your flying height.

Hmm, well the real plane isn't invisible, only to radar. I think "cloaking" it might be a little too much of a reach for realism. Is quite a cool idea though :)

Don't forget the russian Tunguska's can easily lock the F117 with somekind device and serbian old modified SA-13 can do that too

Don't forget the russian Tunguska's can easily lock the F117 with somekind device and serbian old modified SA-13 can do that too

Well I doubt its THAT easy but of course F-117's stealth capabilities has its flaws... Also the F-117 shot down in the Kosovo War was the result of a combination between luck and combat experience, its not something that happens every day. The Iraqies had far better AA systems and didn't hit any US stealth planes. :)

Lets "keep it as close to real as possible" by adding a cloaking device? :rolleyes: