Sign in to follow this  
Fortran

F-117A NightHawk - Alpha Released

your very talented, Fortran - no doubt. Its obvious you're enjoying the project and have put a great deal of work into this.

At the same time, I keep thinking that the effort and attention to detail is being squandered on such an impractical aircraft for A2. The draw distance is much less than the normal flight altitude for this aircraft. A stealth fighter flying at A2 altitudes is basically a flying target.

I don't mean to discourage you from finishing - by all means, do what you enjoy :)

I might just encourage you to apply your talent to make something more practical for the engine you have chosen for this.

Thanks very much guys, really appreciate the comments and feedback.

At the same time, I keep thinking that the effort and attention to detail is being squandered on such an impractical aircraft for A2. The draw distance is much less than the normal flight altitude for this aircraft. A stealth fighter flying at A2 altitudes is basically a flying target.

Couldn't agree more to be honest, it is possibly, without exception, one of the most impractical jets for ArmA or pretty much any game really. This is really just a personal indulgence for me and a test to see what can be done with the engine. On the other hand I am trying my best to make it as "useful" as possible for the game and hopefully, without straying too far outside the borders of reality, it can still be a fun and strong piece for the battlefield. But as I said, this is more about me personally wanting to create this particular jet rather than it being a sensible choice lol. Very much agree with your opinion though mate.

If i may, you may want to slow or stagger the animations for the canopy they look a bit too "rapid".

Yes good call, it is definitely a little too abrupt, will be sure to slow it down and alter the timing slightly for the seals. Thanks for the input.

Just add this to the cfgvehicles section of your config:

flaps = 0;

Ah magic :) many thanks Rock!

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

Just a pointless update really, got some textures up and running so I thought I would take a screenie.

NEW_2_th.jpg

lol thanks man, will be adding a BIG credit note for your toolbox in the release notes, has helped me an UNLIMITED amount getting this thing animated and running, would probably still be trying to hand-place mempoints right now without it lol. :)

hey fortran, there has been talks of a super shader option for add ons? your aircraft has it? looks really good

Looks beautiful Fortran, nice to see the transition from Crymod is working out well... or have I a case of mistaken identity? ;)

Just a pre-update on the F-117A cockpit which I have been hacking away at for the past couple of weeks. Been texturing all "moving" components and now have all animations/gauges completed, working and are listed as follows:

• 01: Beta (Horizontal AOA)
  • 02: AOA
  • 03: MFD HSI (including waypointing and airport waypointing, TimeToTarget and DistanceToTarget and heading)
  • 04: Radar Altitude (up to 1000 meters, bug set to 100 meters)
  • 05: Standby Attitude Indicator
  • 06: Trims Indicators (Elev/Rudder/Aileron)
  • 07: Slip Indicator
  • 08: Fuel/RPM/EGT/FuelFlow Counters
  • 09: Fuel (including Bingo and Low Warning) Indicator
  • 10: Oxygen (1 RT hour supply)
  • 11: G-Force Indicator (including Max-G Attained Needle)
  • 12: Eyebrow Indicators (Warnings for RadarAlt, RCS, Stall, BingoFuel,Chute)
  • 13: MFD Attitude Indicator (including AOA/Speed/VertSpeed/Altitude)
  • 14: Airspeed Indicator
  • 15: Main Attitude Indicator
  • 16: Vertical Speed Indicator
  • 17: Altimeter (Accurate to 9000 meters)
  • 18: Standby HSI Indicator
  • 19: WeaponBay lights illuminate when weapon bay is open
  • 20: Landing Gear (Handle moves with gear position and lights (dull green: stowed, red: gear moving, bright green: gear down)
  • 21: Annunciator Panel (warning lights light as required)
  • 22: Both MFD's run through a "boot" sequence when the engine is fired up.
  • 23: Clock (H/M/S)

Have tried my best to make every gauge as accurate to the in-game world as possible so the player can fly entirely by the panels if needed.

Texture work is getting done, as I said at the top, all moving parts/gauges are textured, just need to tweak them and then move onto the side (arm) panels and the rest of the cockpit itself. So far only diffuse, no spec or normal maps. Will run another update in about a week with a video walkthrough of the cockpit and its various panels.

f117a_cockpit_1_th.jpg f117a_cockpit_3_th.jpg

f117a_cockpit_4_th.jpg f117a_cockpit_5_th.jpg

f117a_cockpit_6_th.jpg

Edited by Fortran

Wow... this is just like DCS BlackShark, but in ArmA 2 and with an F-117! Can't wait. :D

Very nice i like the incredible details, hope to see more of such stuff from you. keep on...:yay:

HOLY SMOKES! I think I'll be taking back my statement about not liking jets in ArmA, because when it's done like that... Suffice to say my Falcon 4.0-soul is getting warm!

The only thing i can say......... Woooow!Absolutley fantastic work!!

This is the best Cockpit I've ever seen yet FORTRAN!!!:yay::yay::yay:

We know your 3D modeling stuff is all time outstanding!!

FORTRAN could you please model some real Pilot Helmets like the HGU-55 and MBU-12 or different oxygen Mask for ArmA2 and your F-117??

YOU ARE REALLY THE GOD OF 3D MODELLING!!!

Wow it will be strange to fly a plane in Arma with an actual working cockpit! Finally I won't have to stick to 3rd person view just to avoid the ofp-era cockpit textures and half working instruments. This looks like an amazing plane, I hope someone could make a mini-campaign for it, just like that amazing MIG-15 for Arma1. One random thought, could you make your plane so that it doesn't display any default hud info like damage or weapons, as it would take away the function of the cockpit a bit. I could turn it off easily, but I need it for other units that don't give you any info.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

You sir are a prime example of an artisan - Simply amazing work and what attention to detail!

Good god, this is coming along swimmingly. I hope so see future endeavors see this level of immersion. :yay: