Sign in to follow this  
Fortran

F-117A NightHawk - Alpha Released

^^LOL! :D

Great looking work Fortran. Looking forward to this one.

Alex

Lets "keep it as close to real as possible" by adding a cloaking device? :rolleyes:

Yup, tired from work I guess, when I wrote it, it seemed fine :D

ahhh fortran! all this time your user name sounded so familiar i tried my best to remember but i glanced at your youtube page and suddenly it hit me, your working on cryrecon nano warrior! what's going on with that btw? i realized that a lot of the major mods for that game has been either canceled or delayed

Looks great, would be nice to have a similar system for all aircraft in arma2 to replace the "tab lock".

We so need this on a Harrier GR9!

Impressive work, hope this finds its way onto British aircraft. :)

*wink wink RKSL, looking at you!*

Guest RKSL-Rock
Daniel;1403030']We so need this on a Harrier GR9!

Impressive work' date=' hope this finds its way onto British aircraft. :)

*wink wink RKSL, looking at you!*[/quote']

We're looking at something similar but using a deriavtive of the UAV system UNN wrote for ArmA1.

@Fortan have you tried this in MP yet?

Edited by RKSL-Rock

...the F-117 shot down in the Kosovo War was the result of a combination between luck and combat experience...

I watched a documentary on this incident and it was really interesting to learn how (ateast in theory) the AAA crews and their commanding officers began triangulating and calculating when and where the F-117's would fly over their position during bombing runs.

EDIT: Ace job fortran, this should have come with the game in my opinion - Lucky we have modders like yourself to get amazing stuff like this in game. And scripts aside... Your model looks totally badass!

@RKSL-Rock: Not as of yet, but the main script is based around a multiplayer spectator script so I am hoping that it won't be too much of an issue, although obviously without testing it in MP I can't say for sure yet, will report back once I have had a chance to.

Update #1

Just been testing a scripted Air-Brake parachute for the F-117A. As you may know the aircraft has no flaps thus making the landing speed very high. This is solved by an automatically deployed braking chute on touchdown. Currently no anims in the chute and no cloth behaviour, two things I need to get worked out (any info?), but the scripted side of it works fairly well. Here is a short video demonstrating it on my test model.

YF1X8u5JTI0

Also some quick and dirty clay renders of the 1p cockpit which im currently working on.

F117A_COCKPIT_1_th.jpg

F117A_COCKPIT_2_th.jpg

F117A_COCKPIT_3_th.jpg

What to say...

*New member (Feb 2009, if not...sorry) shows up with quality own made material.

*Shows he can work pretty fast and different approches, reworked script work.

*Tries to make it as realistic as possible.

I can only give you my full respect. Carry on.

As for the chute. Sadely i'm just a poor modelbuilder and texture maker, but you might want to check into the stock material. If not mistaken the old non-steerable and the new steerable chute bought get deployed by using an rtm animation file (not 100% sure, rtm or a normal bone structure animation).

In the end, with some knowledge you should be able to make your own custom rtm. I'm almost sure some people with skills in rtm making will be able to help you out if needed.

Amazing work so far! But I have a question if you don't mind... In your first post there is a screenshot with the plane already textured but in this ingame video the plane is not textured. Do you have troubles with the textures? Yes I know its not my business but I was curious. :D

The first image was likely just a render... This is a WIP remember so there are bound to be some images and concepts and such... But... anyways...

Great job so far... Looking forward to this for sure!

Thanks again guys, yes as Schilly said, its a wip and there are several reasons behind why the first image is partly textured and the ingame model is not yet.

The first 3ds max render in this thread is the initial model on the day that I finished the UVW work on the mesh so I wanted to throw a quick base texture on it and see how it came out. The next day I started doing name selections and mempoints and began testing some of the anims in max....only to discover I had made an epic mistake when modelling the hatches/bays for the landing gear and that they were too far out to the sides of the main body, therefore when I tested the gear retraction animations I found that the wheels stuck out the sides of the plane when stowed, which was a very sad moment lol. Had to then go back in and fix the mesh, re-do the UV's on the bottom of the jet.

I then exported out a copy to test the mesh in-engine and this version is the one in the video, although since then I have finalized the model and the UV's.

As it stands at the moment here is a quick run-down on the status:

Main mesh - %99.9 (just need to fix some smoothing groups)

Main mesh UV's - %100

Main mesh textures - %0 (want to do a better job than that shown in the initial render)

Main mesh mempoints/axis/selections - %100

1p Cockpit mesh - %90

1p Cockpit UV's - %40 (did some as I modelled)

1p Cockpit mempoints/axis/selections - 0%

LOD's - 1 (5 to go)

Other LOD/FireGeom etc - not started

Config - %80 (have most of the config ready to go)

ModelCfg - 10% (have two or three anims working so far)

Pilot Model %0 - Might just stick a proper flight helmet on the original A1 MLOD pilot model and re-texture it.

Scripts - So far have DLIR Sensor / BrakeChute / Weapon Delivery. Have planned GPS, Waypointing system, FLIR sensor etc. Also want to try and get as much visual flight data and feedback into the 1p cockpit model as I can so each gauge, MFD and readout performs it's real-life role or as close as my knowledge of scripting will allow. Have also concepted (on paper) a method which might possibly allow for internal cockpit switches to function and respond i.e. the player looks at a switch and can toggle it which in-turn performs a real function, although until I test the idea I can't be sure it will work or not, if it does though it could add a lot of functionality including a startup procedure etc.

Anyway still plenty of work to go, but I will plod on relentlessly until its released lol.

Edited by Fortran

You, sir, are an inspiration. Great work thus far!

Abs

Nice going, fortran, looks sweet as hell!

Thank you very much guys, really appreciate the support.

Another small update, finally got around to finishing up the model cfg for the outboard animations (no cockpit anims yet): The animations list is as follows:

1: Correctly functioning in and outboard elevons

2: Split rudder

3: Canopy with rotating seals and elevation drive pistons

4: Weaponbay doors / bombcradles rotate down into position.

5: Blow-in doors (ontop of the engine intakes) open at speeds lower than 250.

6: Fully functioning landing-gear

7: Front steer wheel when taxiing and roll wheels.

8: Chute hatch doors open when parachute deploys (and close when chute re-packs)

Have most of the shadow LOD's done now and re-modelled the geometry LOD for a better flight dynamic simulation. There are a number of small errors I need to fix namely smoothing groups on the underside of the plane and some tiny things such as the cockpit glass edges need a different material (at the moment you can see through them), also the weaponbay doors are not %100 flush with the underside at the moment. Will move on to texturing (and getting the view-pilot cockpit unwrapped/named/mempoints) once I fix the smoothing problems. Have also now ported the weapon/FLIR/chutebrake systems into the config.

Anyway here is a short video demonstrating the animations. Please ignore the pilot position/RTM at the moment, will have to create a new one for the F-117A so he sits correctly and holds the stick/throttle. Also just read the elevons on the real thing have a slightly larger rotational angle (60 degrees) currently mine are set to out:50/in:35 so will go back and fix that.

Also if anybody knows of a way to remove "flaps" from the action menu I would appreciate it. The F-117A doesn't have any and although I don't mind the AI/autopilot using them I want to remove them for the player as there is no visual feedback on the model for this function.

GleH11bN0tI

Show off! That's sick, has there ever been an aircraft so thoroughly realised for ArmA before?

:bounce3:

That cockpit looks sexy beyond beleif!

Wow...

Superb work. Hope you stay with us for a loooong time. :)

Keep it up!

Alex

Nice going, Fortran...making good progress!!!

Guest RKSL-Rock

Very impressive!

If i may, you may want to slow or stagger the animations for the canopy they look a bit too "rapid".

Also if anybody knows of a way to remove "flaps" from the action menu I would appreciate it. The F-117A doesn't have any and although I don't mind the AI/autopilot using them I want to remove them for the player as there is no visual feedback on the model for this function.

Just add this to the cfgvehicles section of your config:

flaps = 0;