Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

I've had the Hind take care of itself more times than I can count. Good old AI piloting.

Hi all,

I just joined the forums and this is my 1st posting. :)

This is an excellent SP mission! Can't get enough of it!

Now... I just ran into a couple of things that I don't know are bugs in the mission or the engine.

1) Have you selected all units and hear "All follow All" instead of "All follow me" or "All follow 1"? (Note: This happened only once and haven't been able to reproduce it).

2) Assigned teams (e.g., Team Red, Team Blue) eventually are removed and all squad members are unassigned again?

3) One time I got killed, yet the mission assigned someone else in the squad as leader and the game kept going? (Note: This happened only once and haven't been able to reproduce it).

4) After assigning teams the mission assigned someone else as team leader to follow instead of you?

OK, that's what I've uncovered so far. This mission is excellent and, since I play only SP, I see it as the only one to play in the near future (unless you can also recommend other SP missions).

Thanks. -Splicer.

@Splicer

I get those "problems" when I teamswitch and then teamswitch back to the leader. When the leader is far away and you teamswitch to your squad mate, your teamleader becomes "away" and when you switch back, they can no longer follow or form on you because you will always have the "away" status. Also, when AI takes over the teamleader, it will often disable your team assigns and even give their own orders to your squad mates.

jasonnoguchi,

Thanks for the note. Very appreciated!

Do you know if this due to ArmAII's engine or is only related to this mission scenario?

Thanks. -Splicer.

==

@Splicer

I get those "problems" when I teamswitch and then teamswitch back to the leader. When the leader is far away and you teamswitch to your squad mate, your teamleader becomes "away" and when you switch back, they can no longer follow or form on you because you will always have the "away" status. Also, when AI takes over the teamleader, it will often disable your team assigns and even give their own orders to your squad mates.

@Slicer, its the engine. :) Happens to me alot in the stock campaign with no mods running. This is why I don't team switch anywhere near enemies anymore. Let the AI squad mate do their own job and help them as much as possible through more detailed waypoints and orders.

1) Have you selected all units and hear "All follow All" instead of "All follow me" or "All follow 1"? (Note: This happened only once and haven't been able to reproduce it).

This one can be solved by saying ready (0-1), it occurs when you switch to a unit with an existing waypoint, or your squad leader unit is given a waypoint seperate to the rest of the squad.

jasonnoguchi,

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind from here on. :)

Best, -Splicer.

==

@Slicer, its the engine. :) Happens to me alot in the stock campaign with no mods running. This is why I don't team switch anywhere near enemies anymore. Let the AI squad mate do their own job and help them as much as possible through more detailed waypoints and orders.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Thank you so much bhaz!

-Splicer.

==

This one can be solved by saying ready (0-1), it occurs when you switch to a unit with an existing waypoint, or your squad leader unit is given a waypoint seperate to the rest of the squad.

Any intention to make an ACE version of this yet? :) Cipher will rock with all the new goodies that ACE introduced.

Any intention to make an ACE version of this yet? :) Cipher will rock with all the new goodies that ACE introduced.

Agreed...maybe using other islands too?

Very much so hanging out for an ACE version. Zeus AI for ACE would also be great. Zeus makes the AI that much more Human like. Just as sneaky as you are. Been ambushed plenty of times now. lol.

This is still my favourite mission.

The mission works with ACE no problems. Youll get better AI and better sounds plus all the gaming features and functions. However some ACE weapons/medics and injury module could be a great addition.

Please Wiper - when you get the time - make an ACE version. :)

Yeah, a complete ACE version would be amazing. This is the main mission my friends and I play.

Finally got around to playing this one after I installed Zeus AI, I fired one shot and the OPFOR chased my halfway across the map. :) If you're not playing with Zeus, you may as well have your mom play for you.

Finally got around to playing this one after I installed Zeus AI, I fired one shot and the OPFOR chased my halfway across the map. :) If you're not playing with Zeus, you may as well have your mom play for you.

I like how you put it! hahahaha... yes, Zeus changed things for ArmA2 like GL3 changed things for ArmA1. I think it will be improved further though.

Sweeeeet jesus christ

A BMP and a squad of Spetsnaz just full on chased me through a kilometer and a half of wilderness with that damned Hind flying passes overhead spotting and making threatening noises with its machine gun. I think it shot an S-8 at me when I finally found a pickup truck.

This mission does make the AI look smart.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a CTD when starting Cipher with ACE2 after installing 1.05. An error box appears which says: "Invalid Crew Civillian".

Still, this is to my mind the best SP mission around. I have spent a good % of my time playing ArmA2 playing Cipher.

Agree about that Hind. Stinger on the backseat of Hummer and all is well. If I can get to it in time. There have been times its been like a Chernarussian version of North by North West. Bloody good stuff. I know where my vote for the community awards will be going for Best Mission. Right here. Thanks Wiper. (Thiper).

Edited by Bascule42
"time sits"? what does thaat mean...corrected.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a CTD when starting Cipher with ACE2 after installing 1.05. An error box appears which says: "Invalid Crew Civillian".

Still, this is to my mind the best SP mission around. I have spent a good % of my time playing ArmA2 playing Cipher.

Agree about that Hind. Stinger on the backseat of Hummer and all is well. If I can get to it in time. There have been times its been like a Chernarussian version of North by North West. Bloody good stuff. I know where my vote for the community awards will be going for Best Mission. Right here. Thanks Wiper. (Thiper).

I started playing Cipher last night after applying patch 1.5 (no mods or addons) and it started without displaying any error messages. I think the error message you're experiencing might come from ACE2.

As I posted already in other threads, I have noticed that the AI is smarter and more aggressive. I have yet to finish last night's mission (today hopefully :D) to see how much tougher it is to play ArmA2 with patch 1.5

And I also agree, Cipher is the best SP mission ever! (or until the next one Wiper releases :D)

THANK YOU WIPER! :icon_dj:

Best, -Splicer.

yep, that error is to do with ACE and is logged in the bugtracker, apparently is should be fixed in the update tonight.

Thanks for your great feedback guys,

it makes me confident that Cipher is still a most enjoyable mission although full ACE2 support is not yet implemented.

I certainly will update Cipher in these regards as soon as I'll find more capacity for that task as well as fixing at least one minor issue I already know about.

I hope you'll all have much fun playing it and that you'll enjoy the dynamicly acting AI this mission particularly was designed for ;)

Merry Xmas to all of you !

I look forward to your ACE2 version with great anticipation. If you need any help testing beta versions of the mission or with anything, please let me know.

Oh boy. I just ran into a problem (patch 1.05). :(

After accomplishing the mission and not getting anybody killed (all 10 of us alive), I got everybody but one to get into the chopper. Then, it seemed that there was a sniper in the vicinity, the chopper descended 4 feet above the ground, and the last man could not get on the chopper.

Then, all of the sudden, the pilot landed and then he got out of the chopper!!! :confused:

And now I can't get the pilot to get back on the chopper to take off and finish the mission.

I also select all the team members, tell them to get on the chopper, but they keep telling me "no can't do". :banghead:

I know that other people had trouble previously with the pilot, but after playing Cipher many times (all with version 1.04 and no mods or addons) this is the first time I run into this.

Is this a bug in Cipher? Or is version 1.05 related? Or both? :681:

Does anybody know how to get the pilot to take orders and get him on the chopper? :pray:

Thanks. -Splicer.

I think that's just a mission bug Splicer, nothing to do with mods or patches. You'll have to revert to a previous mission save or restart.

Does anybody know how to get the pilot to take orders and get him on the chopper? :pray:

lol yea, that's indeed mission related Im afraid.

Things like this I tend to see as kinda "trade off" for a open AND dynamic mission environment, so to speak ;)

As long as the pilot isn't a group member (or can't be team switched to) there is not much that can be done, aside additional scripting and special "measurements".

Always find a properly cleared LZ for extraction should be the best precaution to avoid such unlucky situations. But yes, admittedly its a mission flaw, no question.

To cover ALL possible peculiarities in such an open and randomized mission environemt on the other hand would need tons of additional code stuff I'm afraid.

I put it on the todo list for a next version increment anyways though, thanks for reporting !

Edited by Wiper