Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

Would it be possible to implement the weapons which were added by Operation Arrowhead into the scenario? I really like the mission but I miss the new weapons :/

just add them via description.ext file. I added all the Robert Hammer's stuff, and it's even a bit more awesome :)

My buddies and I have been playing this (Chenarus Cipher) through Combined Ops startup recently, and have noticed some funny behavior since patch 1.57.

For instance, when playing in Spec Op mode, upon landing at the start of the mission, we're getting 2 to 4 AI squadmates popping up, when they are obviously unwanted.

One of our human players got on a motorcycle, followed us out toward the AO, and when he disembarked the vehicle, he was back at the initial ammo crate, his previous self now an AI standing next to the bike.

Also some (not constant, but noted) desynchronization (day for some, night for others).

We are running a few mods (CBA, Blastcore, HiFi, JTD), but all are current versions, and we are all running the same exact pack of mods...I don't think it has to do with the mods, as they have all worked with this mission in the past.

I'm guessing it has to do with changes since the previous patch.

Is there any chance this mission could be double checked and possibly updated?

This mission is a favorite among many, but appears to be quite broken at the moment.

This possibly might be a good time to incorporate the new weapon suite from OA into the crates, as well....

I realize this was originally written for ArmA2, but I would suppose that most players play through a Combined Operations configuration at this point, if for nothing but the engine upgrades.

Or maybe an ArmA2 Version, and a Combined Ops version, giving people a choice?

Also, I am aware of Cipher: Valley of the Takiban...we play this from time to time as well, but prefer the original for the environment, and for it's "complete" status. VOTT is a nice port, but never felt like it had been...well, finished.

It would be nice to be able to play this version without constant bugs forcing us to restart, and it would be nice to see VOTT actually come around to the state of completion that the original had (before the patch).

I wish I could do this myself, but I personally have zero scripting skills.

I realize that this is a free add-on, and mission makers are free to do (or not do) what they please. I'm not making any demands.

This is more of a plea.

Can anyone fix/update this wonderful mission?

Edited by Ben Endless

I'm still having the problem of not being able to finish missions in Cipher (Takistan version) due to a bug (or so it seems).

After uploading and destroying the briefcase data, HQ messages me about the extraction point, but it goes into 'fail mode'... sometimes I am treated to a 'vid' of the extraction copter pilot running (having left his copter)... sometimes I just get a black screen, and eventually end up in the menu screen, where all the tasks are checked except 'extract from area'.

I had no problem with the original Cipher, and I'm assuming nothing has changed as far as the procedure of extraction. I think I managed to extract on SOME missions... so I'm not really sure what's going on (or if I'm doing something wrong).

Just checking... Do I have to get out of the hot zone before calling for extraction? I didn't have to before (the extraction point just appeared after the data was received). Did they change that in the Takistan version?

Ugh... Tonight I played the regular Cipher (Russian map), and I'm having problems with the extraction on that one too.

I have my extraction point marked on the map (Blue circle), and supposedly the copters on route... but it just circles around far south of me. I called for a new extraction point, it appeared, I went to it, and the copter still does it's circling around, south of my location.

No idea what is going on. No enemies nearby (...I made sure to flee to a far spot on the map, well away from the hot zone). The task screen says it's on route, and the radio messages say it's on route, but it continues to circle... almost like it is headed towards me, then retreats.

(BTW, I know this isn't the Takistan thread, so my previous post is technically in the wrong spot, but I had posted on the Takistan thread previously, and got no response)

It's a shame, as I play Cipher (both versions) pretty much exclusively... and it's a drag I can't (formally) finish most missions because of this.

Edited by ladlon

On original Cipher (the one made by Wiper) I only have this issue like once in 20 missions.

But AFIK, there is no support on this version anymore.

I tried everything... I even travelled to the area where the copter was circling around, and waited to see if it would 'see me and land'.... but it just continued to fly around the area (as if it were always turning and approaching, but simply 'couldn't' land, so it would pass by, then come around again).

I even tried (again) calling for a new extraction zone (standing where the copter was circling around)... but that got the same result.

I ended up just spending the rest of the game, sitting on the ground, while the copter would continually fly around, passing over me repeatedly.

At least this bug is at the 'end' of a mission, and I can pretty safely say I finished the mission at that point.

Sad there may not be any further support. Even the Takistan one seems to have a pretty quiet thread (despite a few persistant bugs remaining).

Are there any similar 'random, dynamic' missions out there? I have Guerilla War (and the one before that), but hate certain elements of it (like watching the guy thrash around for 5 minutes when you 'die'... and not being able to skip that, or do anything... plus sometimes being put in the enemy camp (to escape) in complete pitch blackness, with no nightvision or flashlight! It's like trying to play Arma with the monitor off!). I'm interested only in a single player (offline) experience.

A really great mission!

One question: What does the difficulty setting (25% - 100%) do?

Thank you!

I'm assuming it changes the difficulty..

but thanks for bumping this thread.. never would have found it otherwise..

Of course the difficulty mission parameter setting (25%-100%) changes the the difficulty of the mission :rolleyes: But how? It is not changing the overall Arma difficulty setting (Veteran etc.)

- Fewer enemies? It doesn`t seem so

- Is it overriding and lowering the AI accuracy?

etc.

AFAIK, it should be increased hostile AI skill, if you choose harder difficulty. That's the only logical explanation of it's existence, except, as you've mentioned, bigger/fewer amount of enemies.

It sets the amount of enemys.

Could please someone make an MP Version with revive?

I second that request.

Also has anyone made a BAF version of this?

Its re-playability is practically unique.

Looks brilliant! But I no longer have time for SP :o (kids) only Coop.

Fingers crossed for an MP version :D

Wiper, thank you very much for this mission. Lots of fun every time.

There is a similar mission for ArmA?

[Edit] you are correct zapat. My mistake, I was confusing missions. And cipher is a great mission too!

VVVVVVV

Edited by MissionCreep

Looks great ... but sooo many addons.
?

I know it is the Cipher topic, but linked mission is addon-free as well.

Can anyone tell me if Cipher is a bit easy to convert? Basically I'd love to try having this on clAfghan. I think it would be pretty fun travelling along those mountains not knowing if you're going to get RPG'ed along the way to some infested village holding the objective. :D

I know someone ported it to Takistan and updated it with OA content, but the person hasn't been active since last year. :(

Oh, hell yes! If anyone could be convinced to port this mission to other islands (Clafghan would be quite exciting!), that'd be amazing! Cipher is a long-time favourite of mine, even with the little dust it collected!

EDIT: It appears that the mission will only work if you're playing it localized, so co-op play is not an option. Consider this a singleplayer mission (that you need to start through multiplayer). Doing some testing to see if I can get the scripting working on a dedicated server.

Hi all,

I've done an extensive update to Cipher to bring it up to date with Combined Ops. I've included two different files, one features BAF units and the other has US (in case people don't have the BAF addon). Location is still in Chernarus. No other addons required but it does play well with ACE. You can download it from here:

www.crepusculum.org:3711/domus/Cipher_CombinedOpsv0-1.zip

INSTALL NOTE: YOU NEED TO INSTALL THE PBO FILES IN YOUR "arma 2 operation arrowhead\MPMissions" FOLDER AND START THE GAME THROUGH MULTIPLAYER - IT WILL NOT WORK THROUGH SINGLEPLAYER MODE (Of course, you can play it solo within MP mode).

Some of the changes (but not all):

· US or BAF unit missions

· 3 mission modes: Task Force w/Recon Unit (10 Players, 7 in the main squad and 3 in an advance recon unit placed randomly outside the perimeter of the general's location). Task Force w/o Recon (7 Players). Solo (1 player with slightly lower enemy units)

· Default random time start (can be day or night) default (as well as selectable day/night options)

· no Addons needed (does work with ACE if you like)

· Units/vehicles/weapons have been updated to reflect Combined Ops types. Hooray for engineers!

· Randomized enemy units have been updated.

· Starting unit loadouts edited in detail to reflect optimal loadouts based on unit assignments

· Starting vehicles are selectable

· Ammo cache location now has a random support vehicle

· Storyline/briefing has been expanded on a bit. You're now working with Chernarus National Forces who provide you with your starting vehicles and caches, so the types of vehicles/weapons/ammo you have available at the start point and ammo drop now reflect that.

· New starting vehicle options (helicopters/armored/random)

· Initial gear selection in the briefing screen should now reflect units you've selected (BAF/US loadouts)

· Team leader now has a mortar call option in their action menu. HE or WP depending on what you choose in the parameters. To use, select the option, open the map and select where your target. One time use only.

· 4 different debriefings depending on your task completions (code fetched, general killed, chopper extraction)

· Extract chopper is no longer indestructable once you make the radio call - you need to be a bit more careful when calling for extraction. A bad chopper extraction will effect your score. Remember that enemy soldiers can carry AA. If the chopper goes down after you've completed the primary or secondary objective the game will end.

· Bunch of typo fixes and other small changes...

Big thanks to Wiper - as a fan of the mission I already had a lot of respect for what he accomplished in this mission with it's high level of replayability. Digging into the coding exponentially increased that respect.

Let me know if you run into any errors...

Edited by karphead

Can you make one version with an (i know it's evil) respawn option? For when me and some friends are playing lighthearted, getting killed all the time. Something like an immediate respawn where you die?

Great updates, now this is a mission well worth the time for a scrub up :)

Will this work with the ACE Wounds system?