Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

Good and valid points, guys. Thanks for your inputs !

Yes, this rescue chopper thing is really something that needs to be streamlined. It's always been something that made people struggle with, no wonder.

I cant get out of the mission area. I call for the helicopter but it keeps telling me that i have to kill everyone or leave the area. Well there is no one around and even if i leave the area the helicopter wont come.

They point is that the colored areas represent the effective aircraft detection ranges of the armored units still active, red for AA vehicles like the Shilka (with a larger zone) and yellow or orange for APCs or Tanks. The chopper controller refuses a clearance if the direct route would lead his baby *over* or near that zones, as he adds some margin to the detection area by himself.

Although the briefing should indicate for that situation I admit this whole thing is a bit "overdone" and I will change that for the next version for sure.

A routine for calculating a proper landing zone (avoiding gradient, forests etc) is already working. Now it needs to take the danger zones also into account but shouldn't be much harder either.

The tricky part will be to calculate a safe route *around* all the possible threats, paticularely as they constantly can be on their own move ;)

Edited by Wiper

...The tricky part will be to calculate a safe route *around* all the possible threats, paticularely as they constantly can be on their own move ;)

Since that is almost a 'scripted story' part of the mission, you might want to cheat a bit and either

1) Repeatedly send choppers if they get shot down.

2) Flag the chopper invulnerable for all transit (in and out).

Make life easy for yourself, the players don't have to know. Shhh ;)

Since that is almost a 'scripted story' part of the mission, you might want to cheat a bit and either

1) Repeatedly send choppers if they get shot down.

2) Flag the chopper invulnerable for all transit (in and out).

Make life easy for yourself, the players don't have to know. Shhh ;)

lol, yea

have already considered similar, but

1) seems a bit bold to my taste, and I reckon thats hardly maskable for the player,

2) f.e. what if there's a shilka nearby you know of (but are out of heavy ammo) and the chopper comes in, "setcaptive true" so noone attacks it, he lands and the AA just sits there watching all this doing nothing ? hmm, not too immersive after a tough battle I'd say, what do you think ? :)

However, as a last resort the chopper could always join the/one players group f.e... but as I'm done with all other stuff I'm sure I'll find something suitable very soon now :)

I was intending those script 'cheats' to work along with your existing plans to fly over safe territory to a safe location. They are just a safety net to prevent broken mission endings.

A final thought is to simply get the player to rendezvous at a secondary extraction point with no pickup. This would occur if the chopper was shot down.

The whole goal is to get the player to travel to a safe location where a chopper appears to fly them away as a mission ending cut scene. The player does not need to defend the chopper on the way in or out as it is not part of the mission experience. I am not a ARMA2 modder but I do have game scripting experience. The kind of cheats I suggest are common every day techniques, without which, most story based scripted games would fall apart!

I love the fact that you can call in the chopper where and when you want them.

My suggestion would be let the player call the chopper; if he is denied give him another chance just like it is currently. However, if the player is denied on the 2nd attempt, then have them chopper dictate the rendezvous point.

Don't know if that works for you or not, just a random thought.

Anyway, glad to hear most of the work is done, I can't wait to get the new version.

Thanks again for your efforts, absolutely love this mission. I just played for 1hr 23 min. I had a blast. The best time yet. Gotta go to sleep now but maybe later I could tell about it, it truly was spectacular!!!

Hi guys, is there a revive version of this map available?

Not at the moment and I'm not sure if I'll add it.

Thanks again for your inputs guys !

I think the current version suits for most wishes regarding the extration plus it has *some* nice features added, as already announced.

Hopefully I did not oversee too much issues. Its really a monster to get tested for all of its aspects, let alone for the different modes in SP/MP/JIP/teamswitch etc ...

See below the actual ChangeLog, please download on first page.

Enjoy !

v1.26

• fixed: scripted AI movements and behaviour of saved games broken.
  • added: ample stuffed supply crate at Insertion Point in SpecOp mode.
  • changed: russian road patrols occasionally use civilian vehicles
  • changed: civilian cars now randomly distributed.
  • changed: total rewrite of the extraction logic for more freedom and control of the rescue chopper for the player now.
  • improved: enemy armored vehicles spawn using a point distribution system making them more random and variying.
  • tweaked: rain value varying while raining, reduced probability.
  • added: hint texts in the briefing diary section in cadet mode.
  • added: parameter “view distance†in MP lobby
  • added: parameter “grass setting†in MP lobby (needs Arma2 v1.03.58899 or higher)

Awesome, downloading now!

Will give feedback but I'll probably be playing it for hours:D

lol, never mind - have fun with it !

just uploaded a hot fix, please get it.

You may not notice something special with the v1.26 if you dont have the showscripterrors option on and as far as I know it even doesn't do anything bad, but you never know ;)

Great so far, athe ai seems alot nastier?

However, I killed the general in some grass behind a house but no suitcase to be found anywhere, and I mean anywhere.

Logged back on here and seen update 126a so gonna try that and see what happens.:confused:

Great mission! I love it, despite its rough edges (such as the writing). How do I effectively fight the Mi-24? It completely fraks up my squad every time.

However, I killed the general in some grass behind a house but no suitcase to be found anywhere, and I mean anywhere.

Logged back on here and seen update 126a so gonna try that and see what happens.:confused:

Don't be so sure. A couple of times I shot up a group of 3-5 who looked like the case holders but were not. Just in case (no pun intended), switch to command view and orbit the camera around to check if the case has embedded itself in a wall or ground.

Edit: Just had a similar mission, I was surprised how far away from the General the suitcase was and where I had to climb to find it.

Note to Wiper, by the position of one soldier, I expect he was meant to be in an elevated position but was stuck to the bottom of a ladder.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

...Unrelated issue automatically combined by forum...

Why can I not place a waypoint marker on the map (SHIFT + LMB I think)? Some missions seem to allow it, others don't. Waypoints are useful to reduce switches to map view and would be useful in COOP to communicate.

Edited by Greg

Great mission! I love it, despite its rough edges (such as the writing). How do I effectively fight the Mi-24? It completely fraks up my squad every time.

There should be some stingers in the truck or ammo crate (if you play in SpecOp mode).

Can you point me to one or two rough edges that you find particular rough, in the writings ? :) Thanks !

Yea my impression too.

I omitted the AimingShake randomization of the AI, its now the game default value.

Maybe I shall put it back in ?

Just had a similar mission, I was surprised how far away from the General the suitcase was and where I had to climb to find it.

Yep. something seems fishy here. Had a similar issue last night too. SuitCase not next to the general...

Seems I need to put new HotFix up. Probably a nasty minor (as ever), I'll fix that and load it up again.

Thanks a lot for your comments !

EDIT:

Quick fix uploaded

v1.26b

• fixed: general and sentries moved away from their intentional holding positions after mission start.
  • fixed: Suitcase always placed next to the center of the target area.

Edited by Wiper

There is only 1 general per game right?

I did look all over, used command mode too.

Perhaps I missed it but it was not in the near vicinity, I assure you and I did use the context menu to try and find at least the open suitcase message.

Also, I usually get a mission update message when I kill the general but did not get one.

Anyway, I kind of like the nastier ai, maybe only tone down the low ranking enlisted?

Thanks as always, this mission is great.

Just started a new task force mission, the red area is arround the devils stronghold, got to go to work but the first 15 minutes are even more intense then ever, having a blast, will talk later.

:) :) :)

a few of us tried this on a dedicated server and it had alot of errors.

1- spawned off the map up on the far ne corner of map, and my squad started at start point.

2- you have team switch which didnt seem to work very well, i switched to an ai character but couldnt control him.

cant remeber the rest and i doubt ill try and test it any further since it would involve walking a huge distance again.

alot of the community use dedicated servers yet almost none of the missions released are tested on one. its not "MP compatable" if it cant be played on a dedicated server. you should say that.

There is only 1 general per game right?

I did look all over, used command mode too.

Perhaps I missed it but it was not in the near vicinity, I assure you and I did use the context menu to try and find at least the open suitcase message.

Also, I usually get a mission update message when I kill the general but did not get one.

Anyway, I kind of like the nastier ai, maybe only tone down the low ranking enlisted?

Thanks as always, this mission is great.

Just started a new task force mission, the red area is arround the devils stronghold, got to go to work but the first 15 minutes are even more intense then ever, having a blast, will talk later.

:) :) :)

Well, looking forward to your experiences :)

That general's issue sounds really odd. Never happened to me yet.

The mission update you mentioned just happens if a west troop comes close to the suitcase the first time, about 15 meters or so. So you should have been able to find that one at least.

Anyway will have a look at this possible issue for sure.

a few of us tried this on a dedicated server and it had alot of errors.

1- spawned off the map up on the far ne corner of map, and my squad started at start point.

2- you have team switch which didnt seem to work very well, i switched to an ai character but couldnt control him.

cant remeber the rest and i doubt ill try and test it any further since it would involve walking a huge distance again.

alot of the community use dedicated servers yet almost none of the missions released are tested on one. its not "MP compatable" if it cant be played on a dedicated server. you should say that.

coma73,

I can uderstand your frustration when you started the mission the first time on a ded server and instead experiencing something you expected just faced some broken stuff.

But why not bring up a bit more useful details in what happened instead of just give room to some bad emotions you may still have about it ?

For example what version have you tried. I recently saw a game hosted even under v1.17, that was the initial relase 3 weeks ago that got updated 10 times since then.

There once was an issue similar to what you described under point 1) and it should have been fixed in version 1.25 as well as the second point !

What kind of game mode have you tried ? SpecOp or TaskForce ?

Did you host the game or did you just connect ?

Which role/slot did each of you guys take ? It is clearly denoted that the group leader is essential when played in MP, but that note was introduced in v1.23 not before. Maybe that was what happened to you ?

I dont have possibilities to make extensive tests on a dedicated box unfortunately, but worked my ** off to have it running nice on my dedicated test environemt though.

So any constructive critics or even reports regarding that particular game mode are much appreciated and would help (me) a lot more to fix things that maybe are broken than just to drop in and try to tell that something shouldnt called compatible.

Edited by Wiper

...Can you point me to one or two rough edges that you find particular rough, in the writings ? :) Thanks !...

Like myself, he probably thinks the story line is a bit long and convoluted. Why not just have something real simple about an 'Intelligence has identified the opportunity to grab some secret war plans/documents/spy ids/blueprints/cake ingredients/vehicle serial numbers from a visiting general'? If it is possible, you could even randomize the description.

The other thing about tasks, why not just collapse tasks 1 and 2 together. just have the user active the briefcase once and be done with it. The second activation or delay is kind of just story line, which to me is forgettable (compared to the mission play out ;) )

Video game research shows that when text of more than a sentence or two is displayed, players simply don't bother reading it. While I'm sure all ARMA2 players are hard core and literate, you might as well keep things as simple and fun as possible.

And after that criticism, I will remind you that I think the mission is great :)

Greg,

I agree with you in every point.

The reason for those things I guess is that since I released the mission to public I'm just fixing stuff plus polishing and testing and need to do all that alone.

Its so amazing how much the mission got downloaded plus the feedback is considerably wide in a way I would never had dreamed of.

Thats the reason I concentrate for about 75% on the AI stuff and the unforgiving MP managment, simply to have the gameplay always as best as possible.

In other words, some of the "grown" story parts I just need to left out for the moment although I'd also like to see some parts of it streamlined too .

Anyway will see what time brings within the next releases and I'm sure I'll improve some stuff around the story...if personal capacity allows.

Next update wll have a completely reworked guiding script for the Hind btw.

If all works well (need tests tests tests) the chaotic kamikaze attacks of that crazy chopper AI is gone forever and if not downed with a stinger it should fly forever (besides his RTB for refuleing) - an important aspect when playing SpecOp mode in particular i think.

:)

edit: oh and almost forgot: thanks a lot for your critics - much appreciated ! ;)

Edited by Wiper

Sill enjoying this mission alot and was extremely pleased to see you added a view distance module (or what ever) to MP as ive always played it in COOP with a mate.

The new transport chopper script is much better too.

First time we played 1.26b, the only target in the red zone was the general and nothing else, is this possible because of the randomness of what spawns or possible bug? Second time we played it was normal. One other thing in MP is that the teams dont automatically split like they use to, you have to do it manualy with HCS, not a huge problem though.

We've had no problems with the Hind, one time it even managed to take out my mates squad while being shot down lol.

One last request Wiper, any chance of a 24 hour time module, so we can choose what time of the day/night we want the mission to be set in?

Sill enjoying this mission alot and was extremely pleased to see you added a view distance module (or what ever) to MP as ive always played it in COOP with a mate.

The new transport chopper script is much better too.

First time we played 1.26b, the only target in the red zone was the general and nothing else, is this possible because of the randomness of what spawns or possible bug? Second time we played it was normal. One other thing in MP is that the teams dont automatically split like they use to, you have to do it manualy with HCS, not a huge problem though.

We've had no problems with the Hind, one time it even managed to take out my mates squad while being shot down lol.

One last request Wiper, any chance of a 24 hour time module, so we can choose what time of the day/night we want the mission to be set in?

The mission starts at randomized time with high probabilty for dawn and dusk but suppresses night time starts at all.

I may add something like a +12 hours option so that its granted to start at night time with high probab. Would this by sufficient for you ?

Found a really nasty bug that prevented some civilian cars to be placed hence letting the units just stay around doing nothing.

Also I noticed the "general only bug" the very first time ever since i released the mission. I strongly hope that I was able to fix that issue as I just found one single reason for it :(

New version uploaded, please get it on the first page !

v1.27

• fixed: some civilians and opfor units placed on roads without cars
  • fixed: odd suitcase placements possible in rural areas
  • fixed: some typos in the briefing
  • fixed: under *very* rare conditions only the enemy general was placed in the primary target area.
  • tweaked: enemy Hind should not crash in forests and hills too easy anymore, also by preventing its kamikaze attacks.
  • tweaked: slightly increased probability of aiming shake and reduced accuracy of the hostile AI

Have fun !

sorry i wasnt super super specific, i read the read me , had latest version. played as the leader slot(as it says) and i gave you all the feedback i was able to. sorry i ruffled your feathers but an error is an error, no matter how i state it. when you say mp compatable i still think you should specify (not tested on dedicated server) many many many missions, addons are released that say mp compatable, but were never even tested =in mp let alone mp dedicated. i re read my post and i see none of the hostility you seemed to see. ive been playing ofp/arma/arma2 for a long time so ide say i know what i mean. i cant get specific because i couldnt be bothered to test a mission extensively when i already know 2 seconds in that it doesnt work properly on dedicated. if it works in regular mp, then thats quite alright. just specify. and dont get upset when someone points out a flaw, or else specify ONLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK WANTED. next time i guess ill keep my imput to myself, i just fealt it could be a good mission for dedicated servers, being as i have access to a dedicated that sees alot of usage.

sorry i wasnt super super specific, i read the read me , had latest version. played as the leader slot(as it says) and i gave you all the feedback i was able to. sorry i ruffled your feathers but an error is an error, no matter how i state it. when you say mp compatable i still think you should specify (not tested on dedicated server) many many many missions, addons are released that say mp compatable, but were never even tested =in mp let alone mp dedicated. i re read my post and i see none of the hostility you seemed to see. ive been playing ofp/arma/arma2 for a long time so ide say i know what i mean. i cant get specific because i couldnt be bothered to test a mission extensively when i already know 2 seconds in that it doesnt work properly on dedicated. if it works in regular mp, then thats quite alright. just specify. and dont get upset when someone points out a flaw, or else specify ONLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK WANTED. next time i guess ill keep my imput to myself, i just fealt it could be a good mission for dedicated servers, being as i have access to a dedicated that sees alot of usage.

nah cmon, I'm happy you reported it anyways, keep it on please.

Problem is its running well on my dedicated test config - although its just 3 Arma2 instances on 1 machine (1 ded sever, 2 client instances)

Will fire it up again and give it another try.

I'm sure you was trying the SpecOp mode, weren't you ?

Using the standard pbo should not make any problems, and as for the compatibility issue, I even pack always a special SpecOp version together just for dedicated server admins..

edit: Have tried the SpecOp dedicated version several times now and did not encounter the issue you reported at one single instance. The map always was centered on the instertion point near the target area and as soon as the mission started I was always placed there as well as the second client instance.

However, it showed me that i forgot to switch the dedicated SpecOp pbo to 'SpecOp' mode actually hence a hot fix is already uploaded for this..

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Ok, quick hot fix was required as I forgot to activate the SpecOp mode for the dedicated SpecOp pbo version !

You may ignore it if you don't intend to host a dedicated SpecOp mission.

No in game stuff was touched for that hotfix ( besides some minor briefing text fixes)

v1.27a is up on the first page.

Edited by Wiper

The mission starts at randomized time with high probabilty for dawn and dusk but suppresses night time starts at all.

I may add something like a +12 hours option so that its granted to start at night time with high probab. Would this by sufficient for you ?

Yeah that would be sweet as. Just really after some night time missions just to add to the mix.

Tested out 1.27 with my squad buddies yesterday. We had a blast, no bugs noticed whatsoever. Great stuff!

Wiper,

can you change my ingame name from 'Willi Wiper' to my real account name? It is displayed properly during the briefing, but then it changes to 'Willi Wiper'. Look at the screenshot:

L0fS8tOfCp.png