Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

Awesome mission Wiper.

Is there anyway to modify the viewdistance? or can only you change it with a new release? il prefer to have it 4K+

+1 for a second objective too :)

I can't figure out why but I'm unable to download the Beta version "f" from filefront and according to their stats neither has anyone else?

From FileFront:

File name: Cipher_v1.22f.7z

File size: 121.97 KB

Downloads this week: 0

Downloads total: 0

Date Added: 08-19-2009

Tried both FireFox and IE.

odd thing.

on my account page 14 done D/Ls are indicated for it already.

Using the public link zero downloads are indicated and I cant get the file neither.

Reuploded the file but the problem persists with the new link.

strange

Edit:

sorted. used rar compression and renamed it avoiding dot within the filename.

Seems that some connections didnt like that particular file name. odd though :)

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Awesome mission Wiper.

Is there anyway to modify the viewdistance? or can only you change it with a new release? il prefer to have it 4K+

+1 for a second objective too :)

Thanks Akuras,

in SP mode no restriction to the ViewDist exists.

For the MP version I opted for that value as it seemed a good trade off for me even for lower end rigs.

But yes, personally when I play the mission seriously I tend to set my VD to 5000+ too :)

Does anyone know typical Benchmark values for Arma2 or where to find them ?

Edited by Wiper

Excellent mission! Just finished it for the first time, but have played many rounds including one SpecOp. There have been *many* harrowing moments - and some embarassing ones :)

Looking forward to the updates. Glad to see you are moving the insertion point closer to the target as that is my only issue with it. Keep up the good work!

Thanks !

New version uploaded, Have fun !

Note: The separate pbo for the SpecOp mode is ONLY required for ded server admins to have both versions available within the missions template !

v1.23

• fixed: added a briefing.html for a proper briefing show up before the mission starts in SP mode.
  • fixed: rescue chopper didn’t launch in SpecOp mode.
  • fixed: AI waypoints sometimes out of bounds (introduced in v1.22).
  • fixed: Insertion point in rare situations on inland water surfaces.
  • fixed: AI waypoints for armored vehicles within forests
  • fixed: disembarked AI vehicles in combat weren’t unassigned.
  • optimized: both mission modes supported now by one pbo.
  • optimized: introduced pbo verisioning for the sake of dedicated server admins.
  • tweaked: weapon gear loadout now accessible in MP briefing, no more auto-distribution to human players.
  • tweaked: Insertion point spawns tendentially closer to the primary target now.
  • tweaked: rescue chopper doesn’t cut running engines while on wait
  • tweaked: all but first task assigments distributed according to previous task completions.
  • tweaked: slightly higher probability of presence for enemy AI group members
  • tweaked: coherence/swarming varying of attacking enemy AI
  • tweaked: slightly higher accuracy and lesser handshake for enemy AI.
  • tweaked: various text info, mostly for MP mode.
  • tweaked: daytime randomization now linear
  • tweaked: increased the visual distance by 500m in MP to 3500m.

Edited by Wiper

Great, an update.

Sounds like a good bit of polishing here.

Just downloaded, testing now.

Thanks again for support on a superb mission!!!

I've enjoyed playing this mission 3 times so far, so thank you for it. I have however encountered a few issues, so here's some feedback:

1) Once, during the briefing, the insertion point and objectives were incorrectly shown on the map. I could see my group of green dots and the destination town, however clicking on the mission highlights, both points were located elsewhere. Even the destination town was marked with red circles in the wrong location. Once the mission began, the map and tasks worked and were shown correctly.

2) After finding the briefcase and calling for pickup, red circles are shown on the map. Merely exiting these circles is not enough, I have often needed to trek long distances to get a clear report. It seems these red circles are fairly pointless if they don't show genuine clear and danger areas. Perhaps the extraction chopper must not overfly any red area, so the line of travel must be clear also?

3) I often encounter vehicles, but I did not realize the starting truck had missile launchers. It would be great if the player and one of the troops could be equipped. In this way we could DROP unwanted weapons rather than have to pick up essential weapons.

4) I have seen other strange things:

i) Truck of enemy troops crashed on the side of the road

ii) Burning church, no obvious cause

iii) Enemy chopper crashed into water tower

iv) Enemy car crashed into wall

v) Enemy Shilka who would not fire at me unless I fired at it or placed a mine on it. It drove away when approached.

I presume these issues are more ARMA internal than the mission itself.

Hi Greg,

thanks for your report !

1) Once, during the briefing, the insertion point and objectives were incorrectly shown on the map. I could see my group of green dots and the destination town, however clicking on the mission highlights, both points were located elsewhere. Even the destination town was marked with red circles in the wrong location. Once the mission began, the map and tasks worked and were shown correctly.

Correct, this is a nasty bug slipped through with last minute "fixes" and is currently Hotfixed as i type.

2) After finding the briefcase and calling for pickup, red circles are shown on the map. Merely exiting these circles is not enough, I have often needed to trek long distances to get a clear report. It seems these red circles are fairly pointless if they don't show genuine clear and danger areas. Perhaps the extraction chopper must not overfly any red area, so the line of travel must be clear also?

exactly !

Doesnt the briefing text illustrate this enough ? Should it be better pronounced in there ?

3) I often encounter vehicles, but I did not realize the starting truck had missile launchers. It would be great if the player and one of the troops could be equipped. In this way we could DROP unwanted weapons rather than have to pick up essential weapons.

Again, the briefing should have also indicated the truck weapons cargo (if i didnt miss something, because the SpecOp briefing is different at this point).

As for the troop load out, it can be done in the unit/gear section in the briefing room partially. I've let the heavy weapons out though as I think often the cirumstances vary in the field forcing the player to adopt to it anyways.

4) I have seen other strange things:

i) Truck of enemy troops crashed on the side of the road

ii) Burning church, no obvious cause

iii) Enemy chopper crashed into water tower

iv) Enemy car crashed into wall

v) Enemy Shilka who would not fire at me unless I fired at it or placed a mine on it. It drove away when approached.

I presume these issues are more ARMA internal than the mission itself.

Correct again, I'm afraid. I tried to code around most of these peculiarities of the current game state - there's even a script running in background babysitting the helo to stay alive as long as possible. But sooner or later the generic driving AI always seems to mess things up. Many of these glitches just get particular obvious with a wide open mission concept like this allowing the AI to rove around to "their liking". :)

Hi Greg,

thanks for your report !...

You are welcome, and thanks for your response. The mission text probably does describe the extraction chopper and truck weapons. There is just so much text to read! I glaze over after a bit as my trigger finger starts to itch ;)

lol Gred, can imagine

maybe I'll end up tighten up all that scriptoral stuff at some point :)

However,

* HotFix uploded * plus further improvements.

Check readme or OP for the change log and d/l linky !

Enjoy !

Excellent mission, been playing this a lot lately. Any plans on adding different types of objectives?

This mission is great! I've completed it twice with a squad, once under 1.23 and tried the specops with 1.23. My only complaint with specops is lack of firepower (anti-armour & aa). I found an RPG8 with 1 round, and 3 RPG7 heat rounds but no RPG7 launcher, and that was it. The PKP came to the rescue against infantry - used it the first time yesterday and it is probably the best weapon in ARMA2.

A hospital tent could help to get rid of those occasional hissing and puffing pains :)

Thanks for the effort you put into this one.

Thanks for your replies guys ! Much appreciated :)

New version uploaded, check first post please !

Due to two major bugs I thought a relatively quick fix was required:

1) Team switch in SpecOps mode did not teleport properly to the insertion point.

2) The neat placement method introduced with 1.24 that spawned AI troops on high level BuildingPos ended up with dead units too often, hence i reverted to the previous solid method, spawning them on ground level and moving them to their designated BuildingPos.

Unfortunatley many of the pathfindings for the best high level positions seems broken so you most likely wont find them in overwatching positions on transmittor towers, guard towers and the like anymore now :(

However, some other improvments have been made though and the mission seems to provide a very challenging AI as for now I think.

Enjoy !

Edited by Wiper

filefront seems to be not responding for 1.25 download

BTW, are you referring to the first aid module, respawn as captive bug when you say god mode? If so, how did you fix it?

Edited by tcp

When splitting the teams manually using the HCS menu, if the high command leader dies, it seems no new leader is assigned.

filefront seems to be not responding for 1.25 download

BTW, are you referring to the first aid module, respawn as captive bug when you say god mode? If so, how did you fix it?

filefront link does work for me, and for others as it seems. still, if you have troubles accessing it, maybe the armaholic mirror will help you out ?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6768

No I dont use the first aid module. Plus there is no more GodMode (allowdamage false) in use since 1.25

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

When splitting the teams manually using the HCS menu, if the high command leader dies, it seems no new leader is assigned.

hm, did you try the team switch to take over the leader role ? Did it happen in SP mode or within MP environment ?

hm, did you try the team switch to take over the leader role ? Did it happen in SP mode or within MP environment ?

I switched to all units to see if any were given leader, there were still squad leaders for all the squads but no-one was given charge of high command. It happened in a non-dedicated MP server with 2 players.

I switched to all units to see if any were given leader, there were still squad leaders for all the squads but no-one was given charge of high command. It happened in a non-dedicated MP server with 2 players.

Yep, happened to me too. Seems to be some limitation of the current HC/S system. But personally I can live with it as it is and would update to a new version of HCS as soon one is available and maybe fixes that, what do you think ?

-

OK, a new and probably final version before expanding into a complete new mission is coming along nicely and will include the following "core" features/changements, partly already done:

• NEW: enemy road patrols occassionally use civilian cars (kick ass feature if u ask me lol) - done
  • NEW: enemy armored vehicles will be more random distributed using sort of a point system (f.e. 4 weak APC's, or 1 Tank and 1 weak APC, or 2 BMP's ... something like this) - planned
  • NEW: civilian cars randomly distributed - done
  • NEW: when called, the rescue chopper finds its own *secure* landing zone, shows up on the map and waits there for the players group until boarded (replaces the current hassle for the extraction call) - almost done
  • NEW: supply crate with ample heavy/gear in SpecOp mode - done
  • NEW: help/hint texts in the briefing section in cadet mode - done
  • further polishing: synced rain varies more, enemy armored vehicles attack more cautiously - done

what do you think about the new features, guys ?

Edited by Wiper

what do you think about the new features, guys ?
Sounds good!

Yeh it doesn't really bother me, figured I'd post it anyway.

Personally I preferred being able to choose the extraction position, since I usually avoid rather than engage the units around the objective, certain directions would be a suicide run on the way out. Perhaps the heli could choose the extraction position, with the option of being diverted by the player using a map click? (That way you don't need to be standing at the position.)

Edited by bhaz

I also really prefer picking the landing zone.

Maybe put in a random chance for deferred pickup?...

Either way, great job, this is still my favorite mission.

Can't wait to see the nrew stuff. :)

That was about the only controversial thing to me too.

Could you make 2 radio options? One for a pickup at my location, another for us to leg it to? That would make all happy, just like 'choose your own adventure' stories ;)

I cant get out of the mission area. I call for the helicopter but it keeps telling me that i have to kill everyone or leave the area. Well there is no one around and even if i leave the area the helicopter wont come.