Sign in to follow this  
wiper

'Cipher' - full dynamic [SP & MP/Coop] with unlimited replayability

Hello Wiper,

First off, I love your mission. very cool idea.

I played it twice last night, and while everything does seem to be working correctly I keep running into an issue where I cannot interact with the silver case at all.

I restarted the mission and played through a second time but I was still unable to pickup/open the silver case.

I'm using your 1.19ver and I'm not running any other mods.

Oh! also I'm using it as a SP mission.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I forgot to mention this. This actually happened to me pre 1.19 mission, went up to case and no matter what angle/position looking at the case I could not interract. Eventually after 5 mins running around the case I went a few metres from the case and was able to interract, bit odd that.

Great mission tho but a few points.

1] Drove to junction about 1000 metres from polana (objective). BTR-90 parked in the middle of the road didnt react to our truck right in front of it (should have died there and then). Got out and took it out with a SMAW.

2] Cleared polana of infantry and light vehicles - had trouble with a tunguska which thought it was invincible - (either that or terribly bad aiming on my part). Ran up to it with satchel charges (it didnt engage me) placed the charge - it drove away (LOL - Benny Hill chase began eventually cornered the fierce beast behind a shed and blew it up).

3] Found the case couldnt interact with it.

Now I know the 2nd point isnt really a mission design fault - more just stupid ai - but im wondering if there is a scripted patrol route for it which is interfering with the excessively stupid ai (apart from the fact the benny hill chase was very fun and unique).

Great mission tho but a few points.

1] Drove to junction about 1000 metres from polana (objective). BTR-90 parked in the middle of the road didnt react to our truck right in front of it (should have died there and then). Got out and took it out with a SMAW.

2] Cleared polana of infantry and light vehicles - had trouble with a tunguska which thought it was invincible - (either that or terribly bad aiming on my part). Ran up to it with satchel charges (it didnt engage me) placed the charge - it drove away (LOL - Benny Hill chase began eventually cornered the fierce beast behind a shed and blew it up).

3] Found the case couldnt interact with it.

Now I know the 2nd point isnt really a mission design fault - more just stupid ai - but im wondering if there is a scripted patrol route for it which is interfering with the excessively stupid ai (apart from the fact the benny hill chase was very fun and unique).

I know this also isn't the done thing but I SMAW'd the extraction chopper 3 times and it was still in pristine condition, is it set to indestructable?

And similar to RM_Jingle if I park my truck full of my team mates and I alone get out and walk away enemy go up and down past the truck and never engage, very weird, maybe ARMA2 bug don't know.

Thanks guys, your reports are priceless !

lol RM_Jingle, cant tell how much I felt like in a Benny Hill theatre play/testing Cipher or my earlier missions since OFP with similar randomness :)

As for the suitcase action menu I almost wanted to reply that giving it some time, often a minute, should be sufficient.

But since two guys - obviously both not new to our lovely Arma2 quirks lol - reported it consecutively, there might be some issue with the action menu. Need to have a look at it !

Will have a look at that "rather dumb" AI issue too. Shouldn't be that obvious and could indeed be a script issue, too.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I know this also isn't the done thing but I SMAW'd the extraction chopper 3 times and it was still in pristine condition, is it set to indestructable?

All damages per default. No edits made for any units for this.

And similar to RM_Jingle if I park my truck full of my team mates and I alone get out and walk away enemy go up and down past the truck and never engage, very weird, maybe ARMA2 bug don't know.

Easily possible. That issue goes back to OFP.

Vehicle cargo does not change its hostile(or not) status, only the driver (or commander) does.

At least to my knowledge and without any additional measurments.

If you man a vehicle with radar, its easy tested:

If an enemy vehicle that is rendered as a RED dot on the radar is left by its driver (or commander if there is), it suddenly changes into a WHITE dot on the radar :-\

I am having the problem of not being able to interact with the suitcase also, V1.19.

One time all of the enemy forces were inside a barn and never did any patrols and they didn't react to me until I open fired on them.

OK, I have uploaded a quick fix for the SuitCase interaction. - see 1st post.

Additionally HCS has made it in, seems to work only in SP mode though...

Most importantly I'm trying to fix some AI quirks and balance it to be tougher in this regards.

Starting with Arma2 1.01 I toned the AI down step by stap, as BIS did.

So currently i think its far to easy to play and either I increase their skills, tighten their movements or add some partols...

Will see.

Sorry for screwing it up with 1.19, task logics should be on par now.

Have fun!

Hmmmm...... Finding that case is a real pain I agree. Is there another object or can you make the case spawn on a table top?

Anyway another major script error I think. I cleared the area or almost anyway and could not find the case so I thought WTH just use the radio anyway which I did choosing an empty channel 1 and I got a response with all the script text saying how good to hear me back on the air and then he told me the chopper was on the way! while waiting I died but I'll go see if the chopper actually comes or if the text displayed was just that, text.

Edited by Dogtags

Damn, thats a nasty one.

Always thought the deactivated line disables the channel but it doesnt (using backspace instead of the map radio).

Will fix asap, please dont use it until then.

Thanks Dogtags !

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

Hmmmm...... Finding that case is a real pain I agree. Is there another object or can you make the case spawn on a table top?

Tried it once, but tabletop on a deerstand, in the ruins or stables ? Besides it was horrible to place plus with the suitcase together iirc...

One alternative maybe is to use no small object at all, just the general and drawing the code from its pockets, lol.

I just found it lacks in originality (just find "the guy"), but maybe its the only solid way.

Great mission, had the most minor possible error right at the end. The extraction chopper turned off its engines until we boarded, then it started them again, spun itself around on the spot a couple of times, before the crew abandoned their chopper, one of them made a prayer like action [the gear/hide kneeling animation] towards us during the little 'cut-scene' at the end.

Didn't interfere with gameplay, and its nice to be prayed to, just a little odd! I was expecting a lift not an acolyte!

Same here with case cannot be picked up. Found it where the mos resistance was - leader holding it. I think its good and doesnt need to change. IMO anyway.

But should be able to pick it up heh. :)

Alex

Great mission, had the most minor possible error right at the end. The extraction chopper turned off its engines until we boarded, then it started them again, spun itself around on the spot a couple of times, before the crew abandoned their chopper, one of them made a prayer like action [the gear/hide kneeling animation] towards us during the little 'cut-scene' at the end.

Didn't interfere with gameplay, and its nice to be prayed to, just a little odd! I was expecting a lift not an acolyte!

LOL, yes these chopper behaviours always drove me crazy.

But as indicated in the briefing : Dont forget, the pilot is a marine ! :p

But should be able to pick it up heh. :)Alex

You mean instead of opening it up and leeching the code modul, just picking it up ?

Hm, worth doing it I'd say.

Would save me some code hassles too, most of all babysitting that damn thing not falling through inside floors, etc...

No no no mate. :)

I just meant that it should be openable. Sorry wrong choice of words there.

Its working now to get the contents. The radio after picking the stuff up though was blank to me. No text so to speak. Blank radio entry. But its working. Might been a bug just there and then.

Alex

No no no mate. :)

I just meant that it should be openable. Sorry wrong choice of words there.

Its working now to get the contents. The radio after picking the stuff up though was blank to me. No text so to speak. Blank radio entry. But its working. Might been a bug just there and then.

Alex

Oh ic, thx for clarifying.

You did play the actual version 1.20 ?

The case should "open" now ( actually it gets replaced with the satphone until the next action is executed ) but this didnt work in 1.19.

After it "closes" again (replaced with alu case) the radio line should show up, yes. If it doesn't I'm afraid I introduced a glitch in 1.20.

Will have o look into it ! sigh lol

Yes it opened and i got the stuff.

I think however when i get the contents that i have to radio it in? That top (radio alpha?) was blank, but clickable and did work. But no text.

What happens after im not sure. Got naded so hard my hole squad died lol - bastards had grouped up at my MTVR where i had some guys waiting - but they didnt see the sneaky AI either until we all stood together.

Great mission.

Hi.

I'm new in ArmA II... So when i download a mission and extract the pbo file to my ArmA2\Missions folder, how can i play it? There's no "cipher" mission in Campaign or scenarios menu... :confused: Sorry for my dumb question :D

Yes it should be. Extract the mission PBO to ARMA2 Missions folder and in game check SCENARIOS. There it is.

Hi.

I'm new in ArmA II... So when i download a mission and extract the pbo file to my ArmA2\Missions folder, how can i play it? There's no "cipher" mission in Campaign or scenarios menu... :confused: Sorry for my dumb question :D

Hi & Welcome !

As Alex72 illustrated.

Additionally, if you like to have look into it (what i suspect as you unpacked the pbo) you can copy the extracted pbo to your <user>\My Files\Arma 2 Other Profiles\<Playername>\missions\ folder and fire it up in the editor.

Have fun !

Yes it opened and i got the stuff.

I think however when i get the contents that i have to radio it in? That top (radio alpha?) was blank, but clickable and did work. But no text.

Ok, the sequence how it should play out after one has found the case:

1. Action "Open Suitcase" visible, usually after some seconds. If activated:
  2. suitcase is opened - Task Completion appears on the HUD ("Find the suitcase...")
  3. wait until the next Action Menu appears "Retrieve the Deciphering Code ...." right beneath the opened Case (=Sat Phone)
  4. activate it ->
  5. the case closes again, and the radio channel alpha is visible.

Due to a bug the radio actually is active from right of the beginning of the mission and merely the line of channel alpha is invisible.

This is NOT intended and will be fixed in the next version :)

Edited by Wiper

OK, 1.21 is online

Please get it at the first post

Spent some time in fixing and tweaking the AI, as for the most and myself it was a bit too easy.

AI is now pretty challenging - be warned ! :)

ChangeLog for 1.21:

• fixed: radio channel alpha was accessible before code retrieval
  • fixed: stalling enemy AI for most instances
  • added: 2 enemy AI squads mostly patrolling outside the target area
  • tweaked: enemy AI have a tighter patrol radius
  • tweaked: enemy AI responds quicker in general
  • tweaked: enemy AI does not flank excessively, going for a more direct approach

Edited by Wiper

cool base of MP game. we managed to finished it flawless (1 loss)

cool base of MP game. we managed to finished it flawless (1 loss)

wow, great news -

Thanks for info, and congrats ! ;)

I bet with 1.21 things might unfold much tougher now :)

wow, great news -

Thanks for info, and congrats ! ;)

I bet with 1.21 things might unfold much tougher now :)

You are not kidding!

I am in the middle right now, always SP mode. I can tell you it is much harder. I was surrounded before I knew it, cannot just go straight in now, you have to work your way in slowly, draw out the patrols and pick them off otherswise like my first encounter with v1.21 you will be trying to fight your way out of a mass encirclement.

I thought I'd gain the upper hand by heading up to Devil's castle and sus the enemy out as the target was not far from there. I get to the top and saw a patrol, start to snipe them but then I was pinned down by an APC supporting the patrol. In the end I was defending the castle! Got the APC and most of the patrol. Finally got out of there only to be surrounded in a forest with no cover but trees, got out of that will the loss of two men. I am now in the town with a few enemy dotted around me, lost 4 men up until now, had to stop for a break, was sweating too much :D

Very challenging now, love it. When I get through I'll list any bugs I found.

OK what's with the suitcase? I used tactical view after clearing the main village and 300 metres away I saw the suitcase show up. So I head to the last barn aeound and 79M ahead in tactical I spot the suitcase, enter building lose two men and kill the general, no suitcase. So I tacticla view all over the place, even back where I originally spotted it from and no suitcase! I love playing but I am frustrated and trying to get that suitcase.

OK nevermind, for some reason tactical view stopped showing location but I did find it not far from general, just was hard to see.

OK finished. Mission completed flawlessly, well from a scenario/scripting point of view but I lost a total of 7 men in the end.

Good Job! now if we can work something out with that suitcase so it isn't such a chore.

Edited by Dogtags

Very fun mission bud! I love how its a little differnt each time!

Thanks alot for your work on this! Had a blast playing it tonight!

Looking forward to more of your work in the future!

*If any voice work is needed for any of your upcoming missions just let me know*

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Hi.

I just put the .PBO file into the MISSIONS folder and then started up ARMA2. This mission was under the SCENARIO section!