Sign in to follow this  
an_enlarged_stomach

semi realistic games

Hi

Are there any games that contain some realism (ballistics, smart ai, wounding system), but are fast paced?

Thanks.

Edited by an_enlarged_stomach

You have to define the difference between normal, semi-realistic and realistic first.

All games contain "some realism". For example, you pull the trigger on a loaded gun and it fires... you can consider that realistic to some degree.

Also, it's hard for us to guess what you mean by "a regular FPS game".

You really need to be more specific.

You guys should stop trying to be awkward with your replies, it's obvious what he means.

All of us like a little fun sometimes, and this guy wants a hand finding it.

If you want a game with some degree of realism, whilst still being fun, try rainbow six vegas. It's realistic in some aspects, but has a very fast paced feel. Brothers in arms is quite fun and realistic too, you might enjoy that. It is also very highly rated.

Of course there are plenty of others out there, you just have to find what's right for you.

Hi

Are there any games that contain some realism (ballistics, smart ai, wounding system), but are fast paced?

Thanks.

Smart AI is rare in realisic games. But other than ArmA2 I can't think of any with all those requirements. ArmA2 is fast paced btw... if you want it to be. :rolleyes:

You guys should stop trying to be awkward with your replies, it's obvious what he means.

All of us like a little fun sometimes, and this guy wants a hand finding it.

If you want a game with some degree of realism, whilst still being fun, try rainbow six vegas. It's realistic in some aspects, but has a very fast paced feel. Brothers in arms is quite fun and realistic too, you might enjoy that. It is also very highly rated.

Of course there are plenty of others out there, you just have to find what's right for you.

thanks bro.

I like arma and arma 2, but the AI is too "slow" for CQC fights.

Definitely Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (in this game recoil is even bigger than in ArmA 2 :p), Battlefield 2, Red Orchestra, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2

I think you would like GRAW for the PC. (The xbox version is very arcade though)

Smart AI?? :j:

You can't tell the difference between players and AI, Turing would be proud.

Red Orchestra is the only one I can think of.

Yep and the best one too.

Its only in MP though.

It's a few years old now, but...

The Regiment.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI0lj2Tzxjk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI0lj2Tzxjk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It doesn't get any faster than this.

Realism is excellent.

Best played Co-op.

Also the America's Army styles training missions teach you how to play what is essentially a Ravenshield styled game, the SAS way!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGyyRTP4fU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGyyRTP4fU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Historical scenario's, introduced by the the men who took part in them, real training procedures by the same people.

Authentic mapping.

Cheap and cheerful this game. Best played with 3 friends.

Here's some gameplay footage.

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1BB9-AAOxg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1BB9-AAOxg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GRAW and GRAW 2 for PC are not bad. They are completely different to their 'arcadish' console games (made by seperate dev teams).

Although they aren't really 'fast paced' unless you play online PvP.

Medal of Honor: Airborne is ok. Although later in the game you face enemies that might remind you of the Terminator movies. Don't expect historical accuracy when it comes to the Germans.

Neither model ballistics or a decent wounding system. They have good AI though (except that the MOH allies frequently blocked my view of an enemy and got shot in the back as a result).

Edited by Maddmatt

Operation Flashpoint resistance with WW4 mod and play "clean sweep".

Some modifications I like is to eliminate zoom on guns and increase AI fire rate, you have to be realy fast and checking your flanks all the time.

STGN

I always end up reinstalling and replaying the first Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six:Raven shield and SWAT 4. Great games if you play alone but even better co-operative. Maybe these games lack some of your asked for realism features, but I'd definately call them "fast paced and semi-realistic".

The first Ghost Recon is a must-have, doesn't matter how old it is.

Just look at this old-game and see how entertaining it is. Its AI still can compete with most of nowadays 1st person FPS/Semi-/Simulators.

Regards,

TB

Swat4, Ghost Recon1 and you can also try Vegas1/2 and GRAW1/2 if needed (although they are not nearly good as the earlyier games in the series).

The only one that comes to mind is SWAT 4, R6: Raven Shield (Haven't played Vegas), GhostReconAW 1 & 2.

SWAT 4 is really good, especially over the net. Basically any ubisoft game that had a Tom Clancy's stamp on it pre-2006. :)

EDIT: Also Project I.G.I. & I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike. First one is brilliant.

P.S. Does anyone remember http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Operations, http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/globaloperations/index.html? This game had holy crap-weapon modificiations along with great gameplay & even physics AFAIR. :D

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I have a cousin who did textures for IGI 1. The second one wasn't as good though.

Apart from the other games mentioned I reckon The Regiment PC is really good for a quick but realistic blast but not often talked about. You really get quite rush from this game when you manage to complete a level. I may try and make a arma 2 mission that is similar to the way you do missions in this game. You have a set time to release all the hostages without killing any civ or your men makes the whole thing really fast paced.

The first Ghost Recon is a must-have, doesn't matter how old it is.

Just look at this old-game and see how entertaining it is. Its AI still can compete with most of nowadays 1st person FPS/Semi-/Simulators.

I played it a few months ago and just like the old Rainbows, it's really just obsolete and the only reason why they were fun to play is that there was nothing better at the time and we had to make do. The AI pretty much cheats with its sharpshooting and cognitive skills and the weapon accuracy system blows. If those games were released now, they'd be rated mediocre at best even if they had modern graphics.