Sign in to follow this  

Secret Island In Arma 2!

Would you like to see a 2 island multi player map?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 2 island multi player map?

• Yes, 2 islands in a pvp match could be awesome!
    • I don't think it has much potential.

Hey fellas!

So, i'm in the mission editor messing with some scripts. After a bit of editing i exit my preview, and have a look at the editor map. Suddenly, i notice this huge bulge of land above utes!

It's an entire island about 4x the size of utes, and its completely available to spawn on and reach. I spawned my soldier on there and had a little look around, the island is completely empty, all be it with nothing more than a sand texture.

Even so, is this a hint of an upcoming patch? An upcoming expansion? Who knows...

Load up utes in the editor and have a look for yourself, its pretty interesting!

Edit: Here is a picture

3805635059_f1ff537850_o.jpg

Edited by Guest

Couldnt find it after a quick fly-by. Must be random generation.

Hmm, i exited and restarted the game, and it's still there. I'll upload a screenshot.

Well, the random generation of terrain is quite consistent. But in what direction relative to the main Utes island is it located?

Updated first post with screenshot.

Online could be a lot of fun with a 2-island map..

Wow, thats a very good point! That would be amazing, imagine it:

1 team defends an island, whilst the other plans a full scale attack. You could have sea invations, air invations, bomb imvations...

That would be amazing. Pluss the relatively small map size would allow for great fps too :)

Hint hint BIS!

Well, whenever the ACE mod imports their "OFP Islands" map, that would be perfect for the task.

its a bug when u start a chenarus map and then load utes island, i encountered it the other day.

If you want this to show up everytime, just load up chernarus in the editor first, then quit and open the editor again and load utes, there you go, its there everytime, with the editor addon mod, theres trees, buildings and a bunch of other stuff. Ive pretty much made that whole extra island a jungle lol

looks AWFULY similar to the island Skira which is being used in OFP2 Dragon Rising

2751495802_38924d8bb2.jpg

BIS taking the piss a bit maybe :D

The "secret island" is the infinite landmass that was designed for chernarus island. It shouldn't be visible on Utes since the config for the smaller island has

enableTerrainSynth = 0;

set in it's config. On Chernarus the same value is set to 1, and hence infinite land is always rpesent on Chernarus. However: Due to a bug in the game the infinite land mass also show up on Utes if you load Chernarus before you load the smaller island.

The secret island comes in handy if you want to have a base for Opfor troops, but don't want to place them directly on Utes during mission start (much like the USS Khe Sanh can be used by Blufor). But it's likely that this bug/feature will be corrected/disabled in a future patch, so uusing the infinite terrain is hazardous, at best. One day your carefully placed troops may end up in the water :-)

The "random" generated terrain to me is not very random. Even though i turn my PC off and start it again it still seems to look the same out there.

Weird.

The "random" generated terrain to me is not very random. Even though i turn my PC off and start it again it still seems to look the same out there.

I think I read that it's based on a seed value (as most random sequences are), with the intent that for multiplayer games you just make sure every client uses the same seed and they'll get the same random landscape.

My guess then is that the seed isn't randomized each time it loads. Not sure if this only effects Utes (since it's not supposed to have the synthed land anyway) or if the Chernaraus infinite landscape is always the same as well.

As far as I understand there is no such thing as randomly generated terrain in the game yet. The infinite land mass looks the same, each and every time it's loaded (at least for me). It's just a variant of the infinite sea. The same technique was implemented in the FDF mod's winter maps for OFP ages ago. It also appeared on several desert maps for Amed Assault. Nothing new.

Ah i see :)

Thanks for the info!

The poll seems a bit pointless considering that such maps have been made for OFP and ArmA, and some imported into Arma2 already.

Have there? I didn't know sorry, could you post a link?

Seen it a couple times, too. Came with patch 1.02 (or was it 1.01 ?) I think.

As far as I understand there is no such thing as randomly generated terrain in the game yet. The infinite land mass looks the same, each and every time it's loaded (at least for me). It's just a variant of the infinite sea. The same technique was implemented in the FDF mod's winter maps for OFP ages ago. It also appeared on several desert maps for Amed Assault. Nothing new.

i had so much fun playing FDF mod for ofp :D it was great.

Wow, thats a very good point! That would be amazing, imagine it:

1 team defends an island, whilst the other plans a full scale attack. You could have sea invations, air invations, bomb imvations...

That would be amazing. Pluss the relatively small map size would allow for great fps too :)

Hint hint BIS!

There is an island called cti_land, Ctiland3 or whatever for OFP, which is actually a single map consisting of all the 3 islands that were shipped with OFP:1985 back in 2001. But nobody, except the CTI folks here, has ever really played around with it. So find volunteers to build such a map, and then take your idea in hand and make a mission ;)

@Infinite land. The difference _could_ be, that one version takes a part of the model of the land and glue it to the borders of the map. The other method is to spare model data, and to use a formula instead. This is what procedural generatión is all about. Use formulas instead of model/texture data. In both cases you would recognize formations, what makes quite sense, especially when it comes to MP. Imagine the case, when everybody gets a different looking land. How to sync that? Someone should make an island to see it working. When it is applied dynamically, it's done the procedural way. Interesting to know is also what the algorithm does, if it exist, when lowlands end at the borders, and in case a mountain-chain ends at the map's borders. Different situations for procedural terrain generation.

Edited by Hoot