Sign in to follow this  
IrishDeviant

Arma II is going on the shelf...

The readme gave me the impression, in order to get rid of the beta I have to get rid of the game, but I think I'll wait for 1.4 anyways, because it should be close to being done I believe.

It can't hurt to try the betas anyway. They're installed seperately in a mod folder, so the official 1.03 version is completely unaffected and both can be used in parallel. No need to even uninstall the beta if you don't like it. Just run the game with the normal link. :)

It can't hurt to try the betas anyway. They're installed seperately in a mod folder, so the official 1.03 version is completely unaffected and both can be used in parallel. No need to even uninstall the beta if you don't like it. Just run the game with the normal link. :)

Forgot to mention, I have satelite internet. When I download anything at all, my internet practically gives up for the day, and sometimes the download doesn't get done, so I'll gladly wait.

Forgot to mention, I have satelite internet. When I download anything at all, my internet practically gives up for the day, and sometimes the download doesn't get done, so I'll gladly wait.
the patches are 40mbs...

I don't see upgrading my video card for another year, due to the fact its a Radeon 4870X2.

Guys, I have TWO HD4870X2's running in QUADFIRE and still get shite performance.

I built my rig for around £3,000 9 Months ago but my real problem is the constant crashing to desktop.

I'm fed up with this game and will be shelviing it like others.

Looking forward to OF2.

bought the game, ran like crap

upgraded the vid card, ran like crap

upgraded the cpu, ran the same, like crap

bought a new hard drive since the old was full, still runs like crap...

I give up, arma 2 performance aint even close to what their specs say will run it..

usually run in 1280x768

rig is currently spec'd as follows:

AMD 6000 X64 3.01 Ghz dual core

GTX280/1 gig memory

680watt supply

4 gigs low latency corsair ram

asus crosshair mb

vista enterprise x64

tried updating drivers,

tried several differnt tweaks and peaks

tried settings all up , all down, no shadows, no post proc, everything on low

tried playing with nvidia settings panel

just standing still looking around and zooming in on some trees the frame rates get to choppy to even look around... its just bullshit...

i could get 16 at best and 4 by just looking left or right...

just bs

There's nothing to comment on that from my side. Just look at my signature ... :eek:

no major issues whatsoever since day one of installing this game (no CTD, no Freezes, no mouse lag). I have experienced sound distortion here and there, hiccup only in the beginning of the mission.

There's nothing to comment on that from my side. Just look at my signature ... :eek:

No offence, but you kind of upgraded from very crappy to crappy on the hardwareside ....

Game is running rather well on my machine. Used to have ctd's but now i don't have any anymore. A pity for those people that can't run it, it's great stuff.

(Q9650, 4GB ram , NV 285GTX, Intel X25M ssd, some harddrives for space)

No offence, but you kind of upgraded from very crappy to crappy on the hardwareside ....

Game is running rather well on my machine. Used to have ctd's but now i don't have any anymore. A pity for those people that can't run it, it's great stuff.

No offence, Yoma, but I am really happy with it.

It runs very fine, ya know?

And it did cost me only a 60 bucks for the cpu and a 100 for the graphic card.

So instead of buying a new PC I invested only 160 Euros.

Sure your crap - no offence - runs better than mine per invested Euro?:p

(only a rhetorical question)

Why are you ragging on the guy? If he's happy then what do you care?

Eth

I run this game with all settings set to Very High 1680 x 1050 , INCLUDING AA and AF + FULL grass and the game runs VERY SMOOTH on my rig.

Typically I get around 30-50 fps with these settings.

The only time I dip below 30 frames is in Electrovodsk and I think there is just something wrong with that area.

i'm actually surprised here, you have a powerful rig and GPU setup, i think you should you should be able to hit 100 FPS when playing arma2. What is your fps looking like when playing other games? i was planning to get another 4870 to crossfire but found out that my both PCIx will run at x8 in crossfire mode, hence P45 chipset.

... 4870 to crossfire but found out that my both PCIx will run at x8 in crossfire mode, hence P45 chipset.
X8 is not a issue. Wont hold back anything your going to do.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Guys, I have TWO HD4870X2's running in QUADFIRE...
I do too, game runs great, i mean really nice now with AF in the CCC on 16x.

i'm actually surprised here, you have a powerful rig and GPU setup, i think you should you should be able to hit 100 FPS when playing arma2. What is your fps looking like when playing other games? i was planning to get another 4870 to crossfire but found out that my both PCIx will run at x8 in crossfire mode, hence P45 chipset.

If I disable grass I get a huge FPS boost and it does get upwards toward 100fps and above. I've actually seen 130ish in some areas. For some reason grass in this game really give me a major fps hit.

I haven't played any other games on this system yet since it is a new build with a fresh OS.

Seems to be very different on wich settings & resolution you have when it comes to grass? To me grass doesnt do much damage at all. Not like ArmA1 where if i looked through grass my pc would halt. In ARMA2 there is a tiny tiny drop.

But i play with normal textures ad low resolution (1024x768 until i get my new hardware).

All in all with that low res and most things to normal (AA=high, AF=high, PP=low) i run the game very good. Step up the res one step and performance drops hard in forest/village areas. But about the grass - at my settings it doesnt do much harm at all.

Seems to be very different on wich settings & resolution you have when it comes to grass? To me grass doesnt do much damage at all. Not like ArmA1 where if i looked through grass my pc would halt. In ARMA2 there is a tiny tiny drop.

But i play with normal textures ad low resolution (1024x768 until i get my new hardware).

All in all with that low res and most things to normal (AA=high, AF=high, PP=low) i run the game very good. Step up the res one step and performance drops hard in forest/village areas. But about the grass - at my settings it doesnt do much harm at all.

Strange, turning grass on high pretty much cuts my fps in half.

Not sure if it's been mentioned (too lazy to read it all, sorry chaps!), but it's not really shocking that you're having issues (to the OP), you're running 4GB of RAM, and a GPU that has another 1GB of it's own dedicated VRAM, on a 32bit OS that isn't officially out yet. You'll need a 64bit version of Windows to take proper advantage of your hardware as right now you're throwing out a good gig of your RAM because the OS isn't capable of addressing it all.

i personally think the problems have to do with the nivada drivers, becuase i had the defult drivers for my 275 one and it ran somewhat low FPS so i turned off phsyx and updated the drivers and it ran wayyy faster but now it crashes alot. and i notice that everyone here has a nivadi card so far so.

i personally think the problems have to do with the nivada drivers, becuase i had the defult drivers for my 275 one and it ran somewhat low FPS so i turned off phsyx and updated the drivers and it ran wayyy faster but now it crashes alot. and i notice that everyone here has a nivadi card so far so.

Well, Arma 2 doesn't support phys x anyway so just leave it off.

I have ran several different driver versions with arma 2 and the 190.38's & 190.62's both gave me the best performance. I know Ethne;) doesn't like them but they have done very well for me.

Do I get crashes? Occasionally, but very seldom.

In my personal opinion the game is just not optimized very well atm.

That said I run max settings with great performance about 99% of the time.

The patches will eventually tackle all the problems. Armed Assault was a mess when it came out and it great now and has been for some time.

I am disappointed that it has many bugs however the scope of the game is so big that there were bound to be some or many. There isn't another game available that has this scope other than Armed Assault.

I am leaving the campaign until there are more patches to make it smoother. I would like to play through it coop with a few friends. I will recommend that they purchase the game when I do further testing for them. I am more tolerant of troubleshooting, and waiting for patches than they are. So if they played the game in the state it is in now, they would probably shelve it, or ebay it. I don't want that to happen as there is so much potential here.

So for now, for me its back to the editor, and armory. This is a great game now for some, and soon it will be a great game for all.

I not sure if I speak for most people but I DON'T care about 'bugs' as such, for example:

- problems with the AI

- bugs within the campaign

- general bugs in the gameplay e.g. falling of motorcyles (from ArmA1 but I think ArmA2 bikes are great!)

- other annoying, niggling bugs

- animations & non-fluid gameplay

- proper replication of military equipment

- MP interface/GUI

- etc.

Now I need to make it VERY CLEAR that I haven't attempted to really get into the campaign, nor have I really noticed the impact of any of the above examples, let alone their existence! These things, as numerous as they could be (again I don't know, I'm just speculating) do NOT bother me.

The single most important factor for me shelving ArmA2 at the moment is PERFORMANCE!

And stemming from that gameplay, although I'm sure once ArmA2 runs better, it will infinitely play better.

At the moment ArmA2 is unplayable for a vast majority of people as reinforced by the sheer number of complaints on these forums about performance. And this isn't someone with a an awesome rig trying to squeeze out an extra 5fps on top of their current 60fps. Nor are this single-core users.

These are dedicated and loyal fans, like myself, who have ensured that their computers are not just above min. spec. but above recommended spec. to play their all time favourite game.

To pour 'salt-in-the-wound' even more...BIS is working on an expansion?!

So please, please, please BIS.

Fix the PERFORMANCE, then worry about the whether I can save the villager in mission 13 of the campaign. Then, and I say 'maybe' then, I'll consider not only taking ArmA2 of the shelf but also buying the expansion.

After I shelved arma 2 for a few weeks (not so hard to do when you have to work on an oil rig) I noticed new official nvidia notebook drivers (186.81) where released and thought... lets give it another go.

Installed the new driver (using driver sweeper in safe mode first) and started the game.

I was shocked cause performance was worse then before... it had become a slide-show.

I remembered that the last time I was busy with this game I was tweaking and left it in some state without reversing it back bud didn't remember what my last tweaking was about.

Then I reinstalled the game (steamversion) and did all the tweaks I remembered that worked for my system and that did the trick.

I've gained 10 FPS overall (average between 30 and 40 FPS) with a higher screenres (before 1600x1050 now native 1900x1200) and playable... Still I have some flickering textures with the buildings and my screen flickers from black to white when I leave map view bud the game is more enjoyable now then before.

The popping grass right before my feet has gone and only the strange epileptic strobo light and colouring effects of the grass are still there.

I think with my previous arma 2 install I over-tweaked the game a little and/or the 1.03 patch didn't work out so well for me... I don't exactly know... cause how the game responses to video-settings and tweaks I still find a little weird.

Bud now I satisfied with the performance level I've reached cause it's better then ever before (no CTD's even after hours of playing)... still the game needs a lot optimization and I'm looking forward for the next (performance)patch... hope this will be 1.04.

Edited by ericodapinco

I would suggest that anyone getting flickering issues ensures that vsync is forced off in their driver while they play Arma 2 - mine is unplayable with vsync on using crossfire - I suspect it is the same with SLI.

No problems running the game on my system on 1600x1200 & normal details. FPS between 20-30 which is perfectly playable. People just should stop expecting 60fps even on their monster-spec PCs, this is not your typical FPS shooter.

I would suggest that anyone getting flickering issues ensures that vsync is forced off in their driver while they play Arma 2 - mine is unplayable with vsync on using crossfire - I suspect it is the same with SLI.

Well you suspect wrongly. I run SLI and do not experience any texture flickering issues.

Texture flickering, AFAIK has been more to do with VRAM being too low and in game settings being too high combined with prolonged gameplay bringing the memory leak on the client to the fore.

The amount of misinformation on these forums is staggering

this sounds like a driver issue, not a game issue.... Nvidia has been terrible at making drivers lately, roll back to around 185 or 183 i think drivers...

X8 is not a issue. Wont hold back anything your going to do.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

I do too, game runs great, i mean really nice now with AF in the CCC on 16x.

I get brilliant performance in single player scenarios with EVERYTHING set to Very high with 16x AF set in CCC.

In campaign mode, the game just crashes to desktop.

Error returned just now was 'Too many virtual memory blocks requested'.

This suggests bad game coding.

I am also suspicious of the CPU usage (or not) with quad core processors.

Edited by CapBadge