Sign in to follow this  
marcodarco

Windows 7 is the cure to all issues

be interested in seeing if you saw the same results if you reversed the partition lcoations for your windows 7 and xp installs.

Any statements, either way, is completely pointless unless you list your hardware, screen resolution, gfx driver settings and and ingame settings.

specs:

i7 920 @ 4ghz

6gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz DDR3

4870 1gb

Upgraded from Vista 64 sp2 to Win 7 RC7100. I can confirm my fps went up by about 10 in villages from low 20's to 30+ on catalyst 9.7

Running Win7 RC since last month, no problems what-so-ever. Runs my games just fine...except ArmA 1...had to get the beta patch for that to work

BTW...

Those who use Vista OS, try to google "vista enable L2 cache". Sometimes Vista determines wrong cpu L2 cache size. I fixed it via registry and now in GTA4 i have 30% more fps. Arma 2 also feels more smooth, but not as smooth as on win7. But still it gets better.

EDIT: Here's the link how to: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75681-cpu-l2-cache-memory-setting-vista.html

for me Win7 is the same as Vista as long as you have at least 4gig and and dual/quad cpu.

The test from tweakdown confirm this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2869/windows_7_final_oem_vs_windows_vista_vga_performance/index.html

Al ot of people have XP/vista installed since years with a lot of crap on it and just by installing a new OS and just ARMA you will see a performance boost with whatever new OS on it.

Windows 7 is Vista SP3 renamed for marketing purpose.

To this day i will never understand why all of you went out and bought vista. Bored? You have too much money? You like giving major corporations money for no reason whatsoever? lol . Seriously. DX10 in theory just to good in theory for you rather than actual reality? can you honestly tell me that Vista was worth all the bullshit for the last few years of waiting for it to be only slightly decent, to find out that it wasnt even worth it at all?

You would of been better off just staying with xp and enjoying good performance in your games. You also would of saved thousands on Ram that isnt needed, and upgrades that were completely pointless.

NOW the next real generation of games are slowly trickling out. 4 years after Vista was even released. So it wasnt worth it all that frustration of trying to get your hardware to work on a new OS when you could of just stuck with the one that actually worked and waited for Windows 7 and realised that Vista was not progress, it was a backwards OS.

I hope windows 7 is actually going to be progress this time around, not just a theory and a marketing project.

Edited by nyran125

I am not a vista fan boy but I just don't like the bullshit.

Vista is good for the interface I can't go back to XP for sure. If you compare XP to Vista in 3D game XP is no more the OS for Game if you have a good rig (especially the 64bit version). so if you buy a new decent machine with a new OS there is no point reverting to XP if you have Vista installed on it.

You only better to stayed on XP until 7 is out if you have a small rig or laptop (mono core and less of 2GB and slow HDD).

Vista had a very bad reputation when is started witch is not true now. Now all new Rig even laptop can run it fine with SP2.

what really MS missed with Vista is DX10:

DX10 has not been followed bye the Game industry. The next console generation will be based on DX11. New game will be released soon with that new API and Vista as 7 will shine for games! ARMA3 will be with DX11 or will not be on my HDD....

don't be fool thinking that you are the smartest here just because you have XP on your disk.

To this day i will never understand why all of you went out and bought vista. Bored? You have too much money? You like giving major corporations money for no reason whatsoever?

Maybe "I have a lot of clients that use it, so i need some experience on it"...

for me Win7 is the same as Vista as long as you have at least 4gig and and dual/quad cpu.

The test from tweakdown confirm this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2869/windows_7_final_oem_vs_windows_vista_vga_performance/index.html

Al ot of people have XP/vista installed since years with a lot of crap on it and just by installing a new OS and just ARMA you will see a performance boost with whatever new OS on it.

Windows 7 is Vista SP3 renamed for marketing purpose.

Meh... installed ArmA2 on my old system that was installed for 1 1/2 years and on a completely fresh install.

In both cases i couldnt really see performance differences but i also tend to keep my installations clean.

To this day i will never understand why all of you went out and bought vista. Bored? You have too much money? You like giving major corporations money for no reason whatsoever? lol . Seriously.

Pre builds with not much of an option ... think.

I just tested my system today; XP SP3 produces more frames per sec. I've tested Windows 7 7100 RC and RTM both with XP SP3; 7100 RC is horrible and RTM is far better but both can't beat XP SP3.

I just tested my system today; XP SP3 produces more frames per sec. I've tested Windows 7 7100 RC and RTM both with XP SP3; 7100 RC is horrible and RTM is far better but both can't beat XP SP3.

You should list system specs when you make a post like this. Helps others reference what kind of performance their rig might encounter.